Wiki Posts
Search

Class requirements Sportsman/Intermediate/Pro

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 07:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Class requirements Sportsman/Intermediate/Pro

I was watching the Proline Gas Champs on liverc and wondered what the differences between the Sportsman, Intermediate, and Pro classes are. I searched a little but was unable to find any definite answers on what the differences are. Is it race-specific? Sportsman=non-sponsored, Intermediate=partial/non-chassis sponsored, Pro=chassis sponsored?

Just looking to educate myself and to see what classes I should be shooting for next season.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Amoeba
I was watching the Proline Gas Champs on liverc and wondered what the differences between the Sportsman, Intermediate, and Pro classes are. I searched a little but was unable to find any definite answers on what the differences are. Is it race-specific? Sportsman=non-sponsored, Intermediate=partial/non-chassis sponsored, Pro=chassis sponsored?

Just looking to educate myself and to see what classes I should be shooting for next season.
Sportsman use to indicate some type of spec racing but the term is used very loosely these days it appears. Intermediate is typically your mid pack racers and Pro is compensated/paid drivers. Novice --> intermediate --> expert (top uncompensated/unpaid drivers) --> pro and a sportsman class (could be limited by tire, engine, pipe, etc not associated with a skill level).

Not sure how they're defining their classes but the above is typical. If I had to guess, I'd say novice, int, and expert (didnt notice a pro class) for the Gas Champs.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:10 PM
wfo
Tech Regular

Location: SO. CAL. Thunder alley, revelation raceway The Dirt -Perris RIP OCRC
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Some driver watch there lap times and try to find middle ground. At the bigger race ,its a little harder a few "sandbaggers" will appear.. alot of them drop a class but there lap times show were they really should be .ohwell, just have fun you will know after the first race were you stand.....
Old 10-04-2009, 09:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

We run Novice, Sporto, Expert an Pro...Sign up where you want, Just beware, the higher you go, the faster they are.. I ran sporto for a year, then got kicked out..(It was getting boring anyway) I was forced to run Exporto, It made me alot faster...
Old 10-04-2009, 09:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I Forgot..It coulda been worse..They(My Buddies) may have told me to go back to novice...
Old 10-05-2009, 11:48 AM
Tech Elite

It generally has nothing to do with money or sponsorships.

Novice - beginner - not so much practice - likes to hit pipes
Sportsman - same as above
Intermediate - plenty of practice and race experience - can control the car with minimal damage. Knows how to maintain their car and somewhat tune.
Pro - can hang with the fastest - i know a bunch of guys that run pro and are not paid or sponsored but that are fast as hell

Most of the tracks I run at run a sportsman and pro class. and once you win a big race in sportsmans you move up to pro - that keeps the fast guys and SLOW guys seperate...... hehehehe
Old 10-05-2009, 01:43 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by token
It generally has nothing to do with money or sponsorships.

Novice - beginner - not so much practice - likes to hit pipes
Sportsman - same as above
Intermediate - plenty of practice and race experience - can control the car with minimal damage. Knows how to maintain their car and somewhat tune.
Pro - can hang with the fastest - i know a bunch of guys that run pro and are not paid or sponsored but that are fast as hell

Most of the tracks I run at run a sportsman and pro class. and once you win a big race in sportsmans you move up to pro - that keeps the fast guys and SLOW guys seperate...... hehehehe
Like I said, the terms are used very loosely these days. Pro in all sports indicates a compensated athlete. Expert would be the class your fast drivers would be in. I think it's like little league sports; everyone is winner Who wants to be called a novice? Sportsman sounds so much better
Old 10-05-2009, 01:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

Good to see you out here Ameoba ;-) Race that Truggy aleady!

My track runs Sportsman and Pro as well for Club Races, and a single Truggy class for "open" races to help with sandbagging the opens. Sportsman is a mix of semi-fast guys...and slow pipe smackin drivers. I have only run maybe 4 or 5 races total with the Truggy (Only finished 2!) and I think I'm just about ready to jump up to the Pro class at my track.

Once I got control of my truck....the Sportsman guys were sort of in my way. We'll see how I do at the final race of the season this Saturday, but assuming the truck stays running....I expect to place well. If I do...I'll run Pro next season for sure. Some of those guys are fast, but I figure after they blow my doors off for a few races....I'll pick up my speed and hopefully match a few of them.

At any rate....start in Sportsman and see how it goes. You can always bump up or down from there depending on what your track runs.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MotoGod
Good to see you out here Ameoba ;-) Race that Truggy aleady!
Hey now... I *did* finally race my truggy dangit! Took 2nd in the Joe Dirt Sportsman Challenge behind a really fast guy with 20+years of racing under his belt. Yeah, it shocked the crap out of me too. Especially since it was the first time I'd even had the truggy on the track for more than a couple of practice laps after break-in.

Originally Posted by MotoGod
At any rate....start in Sportsman and see how it goes. You can always bump up or down from there depending on what your track runs.
Well I know where I stand in regards to my usual track and the regulars there (somewhere in the high Sportsman/low intermediate range) but I was hoping to get a better idea for when I'm hitting new tracks & races so I'm not sandbagging *or* getting in the way in a class outside my skill level. If I'm putting in the time & expense to travel for a race I want to make sure I'm getting my money's worth. No one wants to show up and get blown out with no chance.. and I don't see the appeal in sandbagging (even by accident) and running away with it. I want a *race*, not a forgone conclusion

So it seems there is no hard & fast rule and it varies greatly on the location, race type, and how the stars are aligned.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:23 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Amoeba
Hey now... I *did* finally race my truggy dangit! Took 2nd in the Joe Dirt Sportsman Challenge behind a really fast guy with 20+years of racing under his belt. Yeah, it shocked the crap out of me too. Especially since it was the first time I'd even had the truggy on the track for more than a couple of practice laps after break-in.

Well I know where I stand in regards to my usual track and the regulars there (somewhere in the high Sportsman/low intermediate range) but I was hoping to get a better idea for when I'm hitting new tracks & races so I'm not sandbagging *or* getting in the way in a class outside my skill level. If I'm putting in the time & expense to travel for a race I want to make sure I'm getting my money's worth. No one wants to show up and get blown out with no chance.. and I don't see the appeal in sandbagging (even by accident) and running away with it. I want a *race*, not a forgone conclusion

So it seems there is no hard & fast rule and it varies greatly on the location, race type, and how the stars are aligned.
Where ever you are now is probably a good indicator of where you'll be at this event.