R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-02-2009, 10:25 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default Bashing in the snow. safe or a no no?

I went to my local hobby shop to get some parts and the guy told me that its not safe to bash or ride my savage xss on snow because the snow will condensate from the heat of the engine and will find its way to the reciever. what do u guys think? should i winterize the truck and wait until spring? is their a way to snow/water proof the truck?
karrar55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:58 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

There is a way to make your truck drivable in the winter. What you should do is waterproof the servos, receivers and make the battery box water tight and possible. The snow will make it hard on bearings and drive shaft's etc but if you want to run you can. You might get a little rust on the turnbuckles, screws and stuff.

You will want to make sure the engine is still getting above 200 degrees. You can put a sock over your cooling head and that will help bring the temps up. Make sure what ever you put on the head gets the engine above 200 and also doesn't make the motor to hot.

Here is a couple videos of water proofing electronics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=792xio8mpZ8

AND

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFTFP...eature=channel

I personally don't run my higher priced stuff in the snow. But my Mini Revo, and Slash eat it up. Come summer I recommend new bearings because most likely they will be shot. And would recommend a good tear down afterwords. Make sure you dry the vehicle off after done driving you don't want water to sit.
shanty140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 12:06 AM   #3
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

wd40 ftw

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote