R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-02-2009, 07:59 PM   #46
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

Chris said he thinks it was running too rich? as for the backplate issue I have no idea? maybe jim talked to monty and could shine some light on this?
Owner of Midwest Rc Tour
blktransam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:18 PM   #47
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktransam View Post
Chris said he thinks it was running too rich? as for the backplate issue I have no idea? maybe jim talked to monty and could shine some light on this?
Call me ryan , I wanna get something worked out with you and your engine. If nothing else I am sure there are a few good parts I can get out of it . And give you something for it or whatever. Still got my number ?
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:12 AM   #48
Tech Addict

Houston, if you worked on Speeds I would send you mine. I can look at a failure and tell what caused it also ... to me that is the fun part. Most people look at it as removing and replacing parts ,but if you do not find the cause of the failure it will happen again.I've worked on Chainsaws, dirt bikes and jetskis all of my life while I am new to nitro I am discovering that physics plays some funny tricks at these high rpms.I might just buy a Novarossi and send it to you and see how well it can hold a tune. I am pretty sure that once one of these engines get a little play in the crank pin that is the point that ignition timing changes and you start chasing a tune. I feel that once you start chasing a tune you are headed for a failure very quickly.On a break in ...at what point should someone change the rod????
Joey Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:39 AM   #49
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to RCmayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktransam View Post

but on the "expensive" side of the coin all they had to do was send me a new mill and then they would be getting a thread talking about how top notch they are and would be getting my money for years to come as I would then buy another novarossi when its time...
So lets see, you glue the back plate on, try to get it off, muck up the case and want them to send you a brand new engine? Hmm, I wouldn't if I was them.
RCmayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:41 AM   #50
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Platinum View Post
Houston, if you worked on Speeds I would send you mine. I can look at a failure and tell what caused it also ... to me that is the fun part. Most people look at it as removing and replacing parts ,but if you do not find the cause of the failure it will happen again.I've worked on Chainsaws, dirt bikes and jetskis all of my life while I am new to nitro I am discovering that physics plays some funny tricks at these high rpms.I might just buy a Novarossi and send it to you and see how well it can hold a tune. I am pretty sure that once one of these engines get a little play in the crank pin that is the point that ignition timing changes and you start chasing a tune. I feel that once you start chasing a tune you are headed for a failure very quickly.On a break in ...at what point should someone change the rod????
Rod slop needs to be monitored , if you preheat and do not overheat or overrev the engine a rod can last a long time . If you get your engine in the 300 degree + range then you should just for safety sake change your rod as they lose there tempering around those temps . Its ok if it was only for 1 lap or so but a whole heat , no buenos
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 06:02 PM   #51
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Platinum View Post
I think you'd be really happy with a Houson tuned N21b limited. It has good bottom and is dirt cheap. Mine wasn't Houston tuned and modded but my next will be. But my stocker is great on small tracks and for $150 there isn't much to cry about if I do smoke it.

I think I'm going to try to round the edges of the conrod some. I think this engine just has a square el loco cheapo rod. Maybe a little dremel work could help some....dumb idea??

There's a guy or two running modded 3 port motors and they are plenty competitive and get good fuel mileage. JP has a Modded N21b based motor now to.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:22 AM   #52
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Not worth the risk to mess with the rod. You could easily weaken performing a mod you will probably never notice.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:38 AM   #53
Tech Elite

Yeah, thats what I thought. Had some tuning issues for the first gallon but I'm getting close.

Seems like a good engine for the price, picking up a 9886 pipe for it. Going to try a hotter plug, Novarossi #4.

Running 20/12 trinity monster and am a little unimpressed with thier new blend (less grape flavor). Going to switch to Byrons 20/12.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:38 AM   #54
Tech Regular

Default Never look back!

I'm telling you, you really need to buy a Houston race tuned engine. Once you do you will never again think of buying any where else. His engines scream. My son took 4th in a ROAR region 11 truggy championship and he took 1st in a points series this year at out local track and I took second. Never ever at any time did we have engine problems and we always finished our heats and mains.
Buying a Houston race ready engine is the only way to go. You dont have to worry about the break-in and when you drop it in your car you will be ready to race in 10 minutes/ How much easier can it be?
****RUSH****
elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:23 PM   #55
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to David Alberico Send a message via Yahoo to David Alberico

If it is one thing I have learned is you get what you pay for. I think the best engine on the market is the OS Speed, even though it is expensive, it is the best. Easy to tune and easy to tell if it isn't tuned.

I don't run for OS, and this is the only time I have said I run an os engine, when asked, I run an alberico special.

the other part.... take care of your engine too, just having the best engine or top of the line isn't just the key to flawless running...

Always, Always, Always warm your engine up before you start running it, and when you start, take a warmup lap that not so hard on the engine. I see so many racers that start up the buggy/truggy throw it on the track and just take off. That is so hard on an engine, and it is the path to flameouts, a weird running engine, and a short engine life.

Also, and during practice of all times if the worst, don't run your engine out of fuel, those last couple seconds your engine is running so lean without oil to keep things lubed up. If nothing else if the car starts to lean out, at least stop and let the engine ldle.

I got my speed used, and followed all the basics and took care of my engine and the compression hasn't changed, the tune hasn't changed all year......

But to get back on subject, you have to remember that fusion motorsport is only an importer which means they have already paid for the engines he is selling, in this sport, it is hard to warranty with so many variables. Many don't even warranty a bearing failure....it is the risk of racing.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:37 PM   #56
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Jim is ok....Not great.

I bought a 367 plus 2 last year and it's been nothing but flame outs after the first 2 gallons. It ran strong at first and now it's just not finishing races. I lost a few and thought it was the humidity or the glowplug or anything but a bad engine. I wrote Jim H. and he made it seem like they were great engines. then I read all about the flame outs on the net and I am dissapointed. If there is a defect in one engine then sure sorry and no warranty just buy another it might be your fauly, but a whole line of engines and I'm wanting my money back. I have been racing Novarossi for years now and have never had a problem. I love the p5 and the bf engines, but are these new engines flaming out too much or what? I only see the problem with the 367 is the toro nero updated inside to fix this problem I see it's the same case as the 367, and is theplus 4 working good? Just curious. One bad engine after theyears is ok, but will the trend continue?
merdith6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:56 PM   #57
Tech Elite

and this is why I am done with novarossi....I have had over a dozen people pm me with their novarossi issues. and that jim will not fix or even offer help to fix. I buy my items based on customer service so guess its not just me that thinks customer service goes a long ways
Owner of Midwest Rc Tour
Old 10-05-2009, 04:27 PM   #58
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 195 (100%+)

Sorry to hear that Ryan.......I love my Nova's......never have a problem outta' my plus4 and im nearing gallon 6 with no maintenance yet...Novas are $$$
Trevor Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 05:25 PM   #59
Tech Elite

Trev glad you are having good luck, wish I was haha. I always ran RB's with great luck -one of the same as novas currently running a C6 was in my buggy going into my truggy now for indoor and put my S3 in my buggy for indoor...engine will idle all day long,never flames out, I can pull 12 mins out of it no complaints what so ever on my c6. but when it is done I am done going to prb. switch to the new ninja(o.s) not because I want to but because novarossi will not get another penny from me unless this is made right which seems like its not going to be so its water under the bridge now.
Owner of Midwest Rc Tour
Old 10-05-2009, 05:44 PM   #60
Tech Addict

I have not heard of hardly any complaints from O.S. users.... usually their customers are happy. I had a dud and they made it good by sending a brand new engine ..it was a .28xz ...what a screamer OMG!!!!!
Joey Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote