R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-11-2009, 09:35 PM   #211
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

What are ya'll doing to break engine mounting tabs?

Background on me...15+ years racing 1/8 nitro; longer in the hobby...

I've run some REALLY flexy cars through the years (Ofna Worlds Ultra, 1st ed.)...this car flexed a LOT. Had cast engine mounts...maybe they were ok, but never lost an engine bc of the tabs breaking off.

Mugen MBX 4 series...again 2-indiv. mounts; but not a real flexible chassis...

Jammin' X1 w/lightweight frame...flexed pretty hard, but I ran the mono engine mount...

Jammin' X2 CRT w/lightweight frame...flexes...but again, I run the mono mount.

Losi 2.0...KNOWN for flexing...but I run the Fioroni adj. 1-piece engine mount...

So what are ya'll doing to crack blocks? When I wreck...I wreck BAD. I've been smacked in the side/T-boned; run-over, endo'd; you name it it's prob. happened. But I've never lost a block.

My guess is running 2-piece eng. mounts on the new flex chassis is causing some issues. We went through this years ago when Michael Salven designed the Serpent Vector on-road car and incorporated the engine to be a stressed member of the chassis. Genius design, but it broke blocks, which is when Picco started adding a 3rd eng. hold down bolt up by the snout of the front bearing and Nova brought out the "waffle weave" crankcase snout and changed alloys.

So for those of you breaking blocks, did it happen with a 1-piece (connected) engine mount or a typical 2-indiv. piece 'stock' eng. mounts?
Old 10-11-2009, 09:37 PM   #212
Tech Elite

And another thing.

SOME 1-piece eng. mounts interfere with the nose of the crankcase under the front bearing area. Sometimes it's obvious; sometimes it's not...when it's not...worst case scenario is you go ahead and tighten the engine down, stressing the crankcase...then guess what? POP!

So with the mount/engine in your hand off the car, check for clearance between the mt/case under the nose at the crossbrace/bar.

Rare, but I've had it happen.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:40 PM   #213
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktransam View Post
really...o.s rod 35.00 rb rod 60.00...
O.S. VSpec rod $40, engine is $284-$299. RB rod $60, same rod for an engine about $280-$440. Nova rod $53, same rod for an engine $250-$350. Your comparing an apple to an orange, but parts pricing is still relevant to engine prices. Also, most of time with VSpecs, if you need a rod, you need a crank too. The crank pins go egg shaped fast without DLC.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:43 PM   #214
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

For someone looking to buy their first high end nitro motor this thread is interesting.
tiger200350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:45 PM   #215
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger200350 View Post
For someone looking to buy their first high end nitro motor this thread is interesting.
Don't believe everything you read. I'm convinced the walking public can tear up a steel ball; much less an RC engine.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:26 PM   #216
Tech Regular

I know of 5 others with tabs broken besides mine in the Orlando area AND IF YOU ASK i WILL NAME THEM AND EVEN GET THEM TO COME ON HEAR AND EXPLAIN IT TO YOU.I was using a one piece Mugen mount on a MBX5T.After breaking tabs on 2 NR engines p5 and21+5 .I switched to a Go tech 5 port and ran it 6 gallons.Then an OS Speed that I ran for 5 gallons before it was stolen.No issues with either.I now drive a 6T. My other p5 and my 367+2 are just in need of a p/s.I will not pay $200+ for a piston and sleeve.So yea,I'm a little upset with Fusion.Been running nitro for 22 years.These are the only broken mounting tabs I've ever had....Seeing how you Nova Rossi guys are treating me like it's my fault that the prices are so high and the alluminum so soft I think I'll throw them away and buy Sirio's.I know I can trust Ernie P..........................I miss Ron Paris. He would have taken care of this.
pete 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:33 PM   #217
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete 26 View Post
I know of 5 others with tabs broken besides mine in the Orlando area AND IF YOU ASK i WILL NAME THEM AND EVEN GET THEM TO COME ON HEAR AND EXPLAIN IT TO YOU.I was using a one piece Mugen mount on a MBX5T.After breaking tabs on 2 NR engines p5 and21+5 .I switched to a Go tech 5 port and ran it 6 gallons.Then an OS Speed that I ran for 5 gallons before it was stolen.No issues with either.I now drive a 6T. My other p5 and my 367+2 are just in need of a p/s.I will not pay $200+ for a piston and sleeve.So yea,I'm a little upset with Fusion.Been running nitro for 22 years.These are the only broken mounting tabs I've ever had....Seeing how you Nova Rossi guys are treating me like it's my fault that the prices are so high and the alluminum so soft I think I'll throw them away and buy Sirio's.I know I can trust Ernie P..........................I miss Ron Paris. He would have taken care of this.
Dude maybe you should stick with gotech and pOS.
BeefHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:36 PM   #218
Tech Elite

I'm not saying it was your fault or any end-user's fault.

I'm just saying there is usually a mechanical explanation for why the events happen.

They don't "just happen" on their own, there's usually something else that aided to the failure.

Granted, there's ALWAYS going to be a bad casting here and there, it happens. But not usually to this extent. And BTW, with aluminum, it's a little more likely that the alloy was too hard and "brittle" so it "popped" instead of bending.

And Ron wasn't *that* much better (if at all) about taking care of things than Jim. Things were lower volume in Ron's day too; plus if he didn't like your attitude he'd politely give you the shortest possible answer and get off the phone.

If there's a real problem; I've never had Jim *not* take care of it if he can.

Got any closeup pics of the failure? I'm just curious more than anything about the fracture itself and where it occurred on the block.

Is the fractured area a "clean" break? Slick and smooth? Or is it a rough surface like porosity?
Old 10-11-2009, 10:41 PM   #219
Tech Regular

Um, Ok Beefhead....Thank you for that........
Old 10-11-2009, 10:44 PM   #220
Tech Elite

Everyone clean out their mangina and quit pointing fingers.

Knock off the personal attacks and someone might figure out what's ACTUALLY causing this instead of "OS rocks! OS SUCKS; Nova Rocks; Nova SUCKS". That kind of crap doesn't do anyone any good.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:56 PM   #221
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblgjr View Post
I'm not saying it was your fault or any end-user's fault.

I'm just saying there is usually a mechanical explanation for why the events happen.

They don't "just happen" on their own, there's usually something else that aided to the failure.

Granted, there's ALWAYS going to be a bad casting here and there, it happens. But not usually to this extent. And BTW, with aluminum, it's a little more likely that the alloy was too hard and "brittle" so it "popped" instead of bending.

And Ron wasn't *that* much better (if at all) about taking care of things than Jim. Things were lower volume in Ron's day too; plus if he didn't like your attitude he'd politely give you the shortest possible answer and get off the phone.

If there's a real problem; I've never had Jim *not* take care of it if he can.

Got any closeup pics of the failure? I'm just curious more than anything about the fracture itself and where it occurred on the block.

Is the fractured area a "clean" break? Slick and smooth? Or is it a rough surface like porosity?
I disagree Ron was always willing to help....... .Both are pourous.Honeycombed like improperly poured concrete.Hence my saying it was a molding problem.I would have to go to another computer to post pics.....Didn't mean for this to blowup like it did but I know I'm right and I was very polite over the phone with them. I'll just call it a learning experience and spend my money elsewhere....Thanks and goodnight
Old 10-11-2009, 11:00 PM   #222
Tech Elite

Wasn't saying Ron wasn't willing to help; he helped TONS of people. Just saying if you called up and were an ass he wouldn't and same goes for Jim.

Would still love to see pics sometime in the future.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:39 PM   #223
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerodefect View Post
OS rods are $%Y^*@. One RB rod will out last 4 OS rods. And the Speed rod (decent) is expensive as well.

OS Speed: $500
Novarossi +4:$300

Peformance is about the same, but we all know which ones going to last longer.
well if someone is paying 500 for a OS speed frankly they don't know where to search. i will not advertise any internet shop but you can get one as low as 385 in a states online store and if you add rebates it goes lower. and for longevity, my speed has 16 gallons before rebuilt and all was stock internals going at full swing at least once a month, but..my next engine will be a Nova +4C and a 353 09 in onroad!!!
Old 10-12-2009, 02:52 PM   #224
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Novarossi is the best engine i have EVER ran. monty got me into these and i am glad he did.

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:09 PM   #225
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Boys boys. What the heck happened here ?

Honestly I have never broke any mounting tabs on any engine I have ever had

Not to say I haven't seen a few and/or replaced many of various makes and models over the years . I think some people just really like to be negative and apparently this is the thread to do so for nova engines .

Can we all please come to grip with the whole/real issue at hand here and move on ?
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote