R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   The importance of tires!! (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/332309-importance-tires.html)

gameholic2 10-02-2009 09:35 AM

The importance of tires!!

I'm going through a phase that makes very little sense, I've come to the realisation that most of the time, no matter what the conditions My prefered tire is the Proline Revolver patern. So you know I also run bow-ties crime fighters AKA City blocks and I beams in various compounds...
I'm a firm believer in finding the right tire for the job but even though this probably is true I've also realised the importance of tire feel, in recent weeks I've tried the proline Caliber M2 M3 but the tyre feels skidish i run on a mostly hard packed track with light to medium coat of dust at the beginning of the day by the end, the racing line is mostly clean with a very thin layer of dust.
I really like the feel of the revolver when the track is really dry the tires stick like glue but what i reaLLY apreciate is their feel, in most dry conditions dusty or not, the tire feels consistent it may not always be the best but i always get by with them.
I'm sure many of you have prefered tires, you just haven't realised it lol;)

Oasis 10-02-2009 09:42 AM

Sometimes the tire that feels the best is not always the fastest (a lesson learned in on road) but I do have my favorite tires for the tracks that i run on..and with as much as tires cost nowadays I cant really afford to try all the new tires that are coming on the market now, it would have to really work good to make me change..:nod:

Frank L 10-02-2009 10:20 AM

I love the revolvers at the right track but calibers seem to work in just about any condition except in the mud. The grid iorns are very good to, they are close to revolvers. On my buggy I have been running losi elcipse tires and they seem to hook up very well. The tracks I run on are usually dry and semi packed in the middle but very loose outside of the race line. Another tire that seems to do very well on the buggy are the losi xbt's. I have tried every type of proline and AKA tire.

Joey Platinum 10-02-2009 03:12 PM

If you spray a little Tag or Axe on Calibers they become Maypops.LOL

Zerodefect 10-02-2009 03:42 PM

What do you call a sprayed AKA Gridiron (soft)????

Joey Platinum 10-02-2009 04:02 PM

Dirty Sanchez .... Hot Carl...??????? I dunno??? What??

Zerodefect 10-02-2009 04:58 PM

WTF is a maypop?

gotta have the right tires. To me it seems like a set of soft I-beams and soft Gridirons cover most of the bases. Hot blu grovve would need hard Grids.

WheelNut 10-02-2009 09:41 PM

Are you only running on one local track or have you tested this theory on other tracks as well?

Joey Platinum 10-03-2009 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Zerodefect (Post 6421586)
WTF is a maypop?

gotta have the right tires. To me it seems like a set of soft I-beams and soft Gridirons cover most of the bases. Hot blu grovve would need hard Grids.

Well a Maypop is a tire that usually has steel belts hanging out of it and the old lady is afraid it may pop!!!!!

Racecrafter 10-03-2009 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by gameholic2 (Post 6420121)
i run on a mostly hard packed track with light to medium coat of dust at the beginning of the day by the end, the racing line is mostly clean with a very thin layer of dust.

Sounds Like a soft AKA Grid Iron track to me..... :)

Jaz240 10-03-2009 10:08 AM

When you drive as bad as I do, all the tires feel like shit! sign me up for those tires that make me not crash

The Working Man 10-03-2009 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Jaz240 (Post 6423777)
When you drive as bad as I do, all the tires feel like shit! sign me up for those tires that make me not crash

My Man. I so do understand were your comming from.:D

Zerodefect 10-03-2009 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Jaz240 (Post 6423777)

I was goofin on ebay, trying to drive up the price on Joeys lot of bald Sportworx tires.

Well I got carried away and won the bid. But joey gave me his empty TAG body spay cans to, which was nice. I make camp stoves out of them.

Want some, I promise they'll keep you from crashing. Should just sit there and spin all fours without moving.

I think I'll donate them to the track, they could use them as a boobie prize.

HaulinBass 10-03-2009 06:13 PM

We tried that locally a local racer *cough WheelNut cough* still lapped us all running slicks on a fairly loose track.

PTP Racing 10-03-2009 06:24 PM

I have been reading a lot about the Tag body spray lately. Let me in on this little secret. What are you using this stuff for and what exactly is it.

At the beginning of this year I was carrying 18 sets of tires. At the first few races I found myself using the 1 set of City Blocks I had. I decided at that point to sell all my other tires and use just AKA tires. Since the inserts were so different than everything else (at the time) I felt like switching back and forth between brands kinda messed my setup up. Since March I havent used anything but AKA tires and 90% of that time my choice has been soft City Blocks.

Using just one brand and almost always the same tire has allowed me to concentrate on my setup rather then trying to guess which tire to use. Its also saved me some money but I gotta admit now that the other brands have also started using the stiffer foams I think a lot more about trying some different tires.

I didnt like the Grid Irons much. Mini pin tires arent really my thing but the Revolver looks like it might be a good tire for me in those conditions. I also am not too fond of the I-Beams they do great for what they are but that style tire doesnt steer enough for me but the JConcepts Crowbar looks like it would be a good compromise. I'm not sure I'll ever like anything as much as I like the City Blocks though.