R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Hex Drivers (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/332285-hex-drivers.html)

saki2fifty 10-02-2009 06:38 AM

Hex Drivers

I just bought a good hex driver set, or so I think I have, at my local hobby shop. He basically had 3 types... mostly Duratrax, a few Associated, and a few Dynamite.

The guy behind the counter, as well as some other customers chimed in and all said the same thing.

They were all insistent that:

Duratrax drivers are junk. He showed me the tips and they were worn out. He uses them to "pry" things...

Associated drivers were very expensive, and had a Titanium Nitride tip and are one of the best set of drives you could get.

Dynamite drivers had a hardened steel tip, but they were absolutely the best and most durable set of tools you could buy. He/they said that while the Associated drivers were one of the best, the special Nitride tip would eventually fade and still couldn't match the durability of the Dynamite ones. Said that they would last a long, long time.... without replacing the tips.

So, I ended up buying the Dynamite 4 piece set.

boomgagem 10-02-2009 07:01 AM

Is it the red handle ones? I use them, good drivers

cary 10-02-2009 07:06 AM

don't wast your money get the HUDY ones
buy smart not twice IMO

Frank L 10-02-2009 07:16 AM

I still have the dynamite drivers (light red handles) that I bought over 3 years ago I think I only broke one. They have out lasted every other type of driver except the hudy. Hudy are the best I will never buy another brand. I like the hudy stuff over every other brand. I have tried losi, proline (one was bad right out othe package), hard carbon fiber, team magic (they are a close second) but the hudy wrenches take the win no question. I do have some duratrax screw drivers that barely turn a screw now the blades are all twisted and the Phillips are worn down. So spend the extra money and get a good set of hudy drivers. The right quality tool makes the job much more enjoyable.

saki2fifty 10-02-2009 10:40 AM

I bought the ones with black handles, but it uses the same tips/shafts as the red ones. The 3 piece set is red, and the 4 piece set is black...

PTP Racing 10-02-2009 11:32 AM

I have a set of Mugen drivers. Its a really nice set that comes with 3.0, 2.5, 2.0, 1.5 standard hex drivers 2.5, and 2.0 ball ends and 2 phillips and 2 flat head screwdrivers. It wasnt cheap though and the only place I can get replacement ends is Amain.

When I had the Losi I got a set of their standard drivers and thought the quality was probably the best I had come across but they dont have metric sizes as far as I know.

lethalleigh29 10-02-2009 11:49 AM

hudy ones are the bomb.

smokinu 10-02-2009 12:13 PM

i like my caster racing ones (a copy of hudy)

jnslprd 10-02-2009 12:23 PM

i have had them all,
mip is the best
dont fall for the hudy hype they wear out the fastest.
dynamite has awesome tips, always buy silver tips they wear out alot slower than the black or gold.

right now i am replacing my hudys with mip as they wear out. i buy dynamite tips for my cordless drill and they seem to last forever, for a $6 wrench.

dadsvtechonda 10-02-2009 05:14 PM

i really like my losi tools

AndrewClaycomb 10-02-2009 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by PTP Racing (Post 6420490)
When I had the Losi I got a set of their standard drivers and thought the quality was probably the best I had come across but they dont have metric sizes as far as I know.

They have both, I have them and love them.