R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-14-2009, 06:40 AM   #16
Tech Elite

The diameter of the rotating mass is critical as well. Lightening up a drive shaft has far less effect than a tire thats a few grams lighter. More rotational enertia the larger the spinning part.

I don't have any places on my car where I can use soft screws. I noticed that the screw count on most kits is shrinking for less weight and maintenance. Allmost all of the screws left need to be steel.

The weight I'd save with what Ti screws I could get on my car would be about the same as a hole or two drilled in the chassis under the radio box of muffler. Maybe trim the verticle sides of the sidepods down.

We need a weight loss thread.

You can remove the CVD setscrews completly on some newer kits like the RC8 and 808.

Also I use a tiny 600 mah lipo for 15min mains. I see alot of racers using 2000+ mah RX packs for short mains. Thats dead weight.

Last edited by Zerodefect; 10-14-2009 at 07:15 AM.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:30 AM   #17
Tech Addict

all i use are the 12 x 4mm screws which hold the gearbox to the chassis dont bother with the rest
a win on the lottery :D
slow coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:31 AM   #18
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I'm a huge fan of Ti screws and the Mugen screws are by far the best. I've been using Ti ever since the old MBX4 was around and I currently use them on my Xray 808, Kyosho ST-RR ( Self-tapping Ti screws on my RR are from the Kyosho 777 WC ), and Kyosho MP9. I've also installed Ti on all my 1/10 scale Losi vehicles too ( IMEX, Lunsford, and 3racing are the best for Losi's standard sizes ).

For those odd sizes the four best places to find them are IMEX, 3racing, Lunsford, and Racers Edge.

In my experience I've never broke, stripped, or bent any Ti screws I've used in my years of racing ( the only Ti that I can think of ever breaking or benting were Lunsford titanium turnbuckles on my 1/10 scale Losi's ). The only place I don't use Ti is on the upper shock mounts ( upper tower ) and 1/8 chassis braces lower mount ( in chassis ).

The best bang for the buck in "standard sizes" are the IMEX Ti. Great price and super strong. Lunsford are awesome too, but very pricey.

Tony's screws are nice too, but they still RUST. Not to mention the heavy weight difference compared to Titanium.
Gixer Jay is offline   Reply With Quote