R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-02-2009, 11:26 AM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default HB D8t!!

Go with the HB D8t. New Price at amainhobbies.com $340.00. Amazing Truggy.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:29 AM   #17
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Losi 2.0 or the Mugen MBX6T are my two favorite machines.... They both are very stable and drive extremely well and will get you up to speed very quickly..... The Losi 2.0 RTR does offer you a great starting point for the dollar...however in the end buying a Pro kit with better gear would be the better choice as far as overall performance and durability, but it costs a little more to go that route..... As a rule with race machines it is better to buy the best machine you can right off the bat, racing is challenging and the last thing you would want is to be pulling your hair out trying to make some oddball product competitive....
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:56 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Honestly here - What do you want out of it? What do you want to spend? Are you racing?

Sounds like your starting from 0.

If you have the money up front, I would go with the

Team Losi RR
OS .21 vpec or Ninja JX
Hitec servos
Spektrum Radio System

Please dont get a .28 for a truggy to race with. There is really no need. You will spend more time spinning tires making it harder to drive.

RTR - I know people like to represent what they drive and I am no different, but when it comes down to a RTR ----truly ready to run there is only one choice

Team Losi 8B/8T 2.0 RTR

hands down the best RTR on the market
Old 10-02-2009, 12:26 PM   #19
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)

So would you guys recomend buying the Radio and than come spring buy the truggy as a kit? What ever truggy that may be?

Home site www.HPISavageForum.com

Youtube user: ThePopeNJ
The Pope NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 12:54 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pope NJ View Post
So would you guys recomend buying the Radio and than come spring buy the truggy as a kit? What ever truggy that may be?
If your buying the truggy in the spring, then save your money and buy your radio in the spring as well.

I'm expecting some new radios will come out at Christmas. Hitec, Spektrum, and KO are due for some updates to keep up with the other high end radios bling.

Just get the best radio you can find. They can last a long time so its worth it.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 12:56 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Quote:
+1 zero

If you going to wait til spring just wait - thats when they start releasing newer stuff
Old 10-02-2009, 05:35 PM   #22
Tech Regular

You know I never even thought about the new stuff that will be coming out. My problem is I really want to buy something now and radio gear is really the only thing left that I need to finish my current build. It would be a bummer buying the truggy now and not being able to run it till spring though. I don't know what to do. Do you guys think I can build a good racing truggy come spring for under 600? I will need servo's motor and starter box. Radio I will most likely buy before than.

Old 10-02-2009, 06:22 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by camocowboy View Post
The RTR is def. great for beginners. However, if you are planning on dumping the motor, radio, and servos you should go with the race roller. The chassis, shock towers, and shock caps all leave you wanting more from the RTR. If you don't want any of the stuff that comes with it go roller, buy a Plus 4, and a couple of 7955's, and whatever radio and you can't go wrong.
Dumping all of that stuff (selling on the cheap) and keeping the starter box you end up coming out way ahead. The items included with the race roller arent going to make 95% of the drivers out there any faster (if they think it will they're misguided). I'm not saying the RTR is the best thing in the world, just stating that it is more than enough to keep you competitive. The shock caps offer zero performance gains and the towers offer no gains for a racer of my caliber. If you could buy it as a kit I'd go that route in a heart beat.
Kyosho RB6 | Viper VTX10r/Reedy Mach 3 9.5 | Hitec 7940
Schumacher SX3 Pro | Viper VTX10r/Reedy Mach 2 8.5 | Hitec 7940
madweazl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 06:36 PM   #24
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

go with the losi 2.0, i made the mistake of buying the rtr. after 2 races i upgraded the shock towers, shock caps, both servos and im about to buy a new motor. buy the race roller for sure
Oops my bad, you were in my line..
You just got passed.. IN THE AIR!!
Brad.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 06:48 PM   #25
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Just to throw in my 2 cents...

After having a couple MT's, I started out with the Losi 8ight 2.0 RTR buggy about 5 weeks ago and I couldn't be happier. Getting the upgrades, to me has been part of the fun and also a good learning experience.

I started with Traxxas bashers and like you, decided I wanted to get serious and race. And with my RTR I am keeping up with the 'real' racers at my track with thier hopped up rollers - untill I crash anyways!

My plastic shock ends havent failed yet. My servos didnt have a chance to, as I replaced the steering pretty quick and moved the stock steering to throttle. In fact, not one thing has broken/failed to date. And I'm definately not babying this car.

I did sell and replace the starter box as it didn't have enough umph to keep turning the super-tight 350 engine during break in.

The included radio is by far the best you will get with any RTR. And despite what I've read in many posts online, the telemetry readings have been pretty spot on for me.

I say get the Losi RTR and get your upgrades as you see fit. This is by far the most complete, truly ready to race package out there.

The end.

Evvy
Old 10-02-2009, 07:02 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Get the D8T they are not brittle at all. I ran my D8 all summer and broke nothing but a servo horn. For the price to what you get ratio it can not be beat by no other company I am sorry. I was a die hard AE guy till the D8 came out I had 2 1 an electric convert, sold that and am now building the new Ve8. Trust me your better off buying what you want when it comes to accesories radio servos ect ect, just shop around and you can put something together for a nice price. Ans shit if your worried about a decent radio my buddy has a Spectrum 2.0 for sale for $40. Another thing the HB cars well the D8 and the D8T are easy to drive and to work on.

JR servos Hitec servos. Gens ace lipos KO radio.
malik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:08 PM   #27
Tech Regular

Quote:
You know I never even thought about the new stuff that will be coming out. My problem is I really want to buy something now and radio gear is really the only thing left that I need to finish my current build. It would be a bummer buying the truggy now and not being able to run it till spring though. I don't know what to do. Do you guys think I can build a good racing truggy come spring for under 600? I will need servo's motor and starter box. Radio I will most likely buy before than.
you could start with a losi 8ight t 1.0 there still very good truggys and you would save alot of $$ just there. spend the most on the servos and the motor,in my opinion buy a rb engine there amazing engine I'm a rb believer for sure i have a c6 that can hold its own with fresh .28's.

start with a 8ight t 1.0 (if your gonna race in the sportsman class) and concentrate on driving i swept the whole first season of the year all first places with my 1.0 its not always the hardware its the driver.
good luck with everything

Losi 8ight T 2.0 Alpha S852 (Orange Head)
www.hobbyhut.com
dadsvtechonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:12 PM   #28
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblockt-maxx View Post
go with the losi 2.0, i made the mistake of buying the rtr. after 2 races i upgraded the shock towers, shock caps, both servos and im about to buy a new motor. buy the race roller for sure
How much better are your lap times?
Kyosho RB6 | Viper VTX10r/Reedy Mach 3 9.5 | Hitec 7940
Schumacher SX3 Pro | Viper VTX10r/Reedy Mach 2 8.5 | Hitec 7940
madweazl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:18 PM   #29
Tech Regular

Thanks guys. Sounds like I can't really go wrong with what ever I get. I can't wait to get on the track. It will be nice to have some people to run with again as all my bashing buddies have moved on.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:21 PM   #30
Tech Regular

Quote:
Thanks guys. Sounds like I can't really go wrong with what ever I get. I can't wait to get on the track. It will be nice to have some people to run with again as all my bashing buddies have moved on.
hobby hut has great competition and its the hut to all who know it

and u need to start building for motorama trust me im already setting things in order for that

Losi 8ight T 2.0 Alpha S852 (Orange Head)
www.hobbyhut.com
dadsvtechonda is offline   Reply With Quote