R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-30-2009, 04:00 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default red cat racing

is red cat racing a good brand for bashing.. is it pretty solid.. i know its prolly not the bes but is it decent?
Old 09-30-2009, 04:06 PM   #2
Tech Adept

Heres the biggest problem for red cat, the is NO hobby shop support, if you break anything it's mail order only. which can really suck when you want to run your car.
yes there cheap. but the money you spend in a better car will save you boat loads in frustration later.
rc_racer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 04:25 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Not one of the top contenders but I'm gonna tell it like it is.....on a scale from 1-10 on being tough enough to bash with... I'd give it a 2.
Joey Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 04:35 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

why dont you just get yourself a traxxas s-maxx. they are fairly cheap($300)
and are pretty good bashers.also there is hobby shop support EVERYWHERE you go for traxxas!
Old 09-30-2009, 05:05 PM   #5
Tech Adept

go find a used mugen mbx5r or a 5t............ dirt cheep......... built like a brick sh**()house, and they are raceable and competitive if you wanna give it a try. best of both worlds.
Official NON-EXPERT
casterdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:15 PM   #6
Tech Initiate

I have a Redcat Volcano SV Pro. So its the one that has mostly all aluminum parts, not the cheaper mostly plastic one... I've read the posts throughout this forum asking this same question.

More times than not, it will be said that they suck but with no real reason or answer as to why they suck. I personally would like to know why they suck.

As far as parts in your local hobby shop... dont most hobby shops stock good parts for just a few models anyways? I've ordered a few things from Redcat and have recieved the parts in a few days... so it wasn't too terribly bad.

The Redcat that I have, which I bought for my son was only broken in and thats it, now trying to get rid of it, so I really haven't drive it much... but because its all aluminum, im sure its going to be a tough truck. Just like any other brand, they have the cheaper plastic models, possibly a better one, then the pro kits.

Im just answering the question if Redcat is a good brand for bashing... the one that I have would be.
saki2fifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:49 PM   #7
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I end up ordering 99% of my parts online anyway, its really not that bad once you are use to it. Plus lost of little boxes show up and you get to open themn like packages.

To answer your question just about any RC will do good for bashing. So go out there and run.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:25 AM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to boomgagem

Well, I have worked on a buddy of mines Redcat Shockwave and Tornado both 1/10 buggies. The first one he bought needed a new Piston and sleeve, I could only find a couple of places online that had this P/S. Note that this was a 2007 version, the engine was a Vertex .16. I ordered the part, waited weeks, called the guy about it, and he acted like he didn't know a thing about it, finally got a refund and ended up buying a VX-18.

The second one needed a new pullstart and spur gear. the pullstart was hard to find as well, they apparently made a change in the .18's from a 14mm hex to 12mm hex or the other way around, endless headaches.

On both vehicles the shock towers were bent, and the parts used to build the buggies was garbage.

You can't listen to the guy above me, he sells them, of course he will defend them. I am offering personal experience with them. Maybe the newer models are better, maybe not. But the experience I have had working on 2 of them has been pretty rough
boomgagem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:37 AM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to supralative Send a message via Yahoo to supralative

Their tools seem to be of good quality so far. Time will tell though...

supralative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 03:00 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

They are not made by Redcat , but relabeled for them, look like rcpro tools
MadRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 03:19 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Redcat:

Hotbodies D8:

Will Sasso:

Build a racecar, you allready have bashers.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:45 PM   #12
Tech Addict

Where the heck did you find the picture of Will Sasso????He used to own Red
Cat, He loved that dam car. I remember when we would go to the track and he would spend all day letting every body run his buggy. The pipe was the only thing that ever broke, and man it was loud.Jeztur2003 just sucker punched me in the liver. I never said their cars weren't a good basher, Hell I gave them a 2 and he started a fight over it. Well I sure as hell aint gonna give them a 1, thats reserved for my Fleetwood because it is the best basher and the most luxurious machine you can find anywhere. Now that I have been publicly flogged by someone I will not ever comment about another products durability again. Do you guys know how many times I break things ...... everytime I run... well there you go that makes me an expert . So you see you can punch me in the liver and try to convince people that I was just standing there and you bumped me but now everyone knows that gav ethe car the best rating I could without actually seeing one ,let alone running or owning one. I nee d a drink to soothe my bruised liver.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:51 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Will runs a Hotbodies D8 up here in Ohio. His cape is pretty big.

Are you saying your Caster Storm "Fleetwood Edition" holds up better than Wills old Redcat?
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:02 PM   #14
Tech Addict

Yes I am. I don't know why this guy jeztur2003 has it in for me . What did I do to him.I guess he thought I was giving the car a bad rep???I was only trying to be nice. Well I apologize .I take back what I said about RedCat. I am not going to make any comment as to the quality or durability. I spoke out of turn and did not mean to offend. I get carried away sometimes and want to pretend like
I am a tester for these products and well sometimes it makes people coin pivot.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:22 PM   #15
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to supralative Send a message via Yahoo to supralative

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRussian View Post
They are not made by Redcat , but relabeled for them, look like rcpro tools
I personally do not know who they are made by. The have Redcat on the handles and other places for other tools. My friend has the RC Pro set of hexes and the two sets look nothing alike other than the hex it self hahaha.
Everything seems nice except for the plyers/cutters...but I already have a good set of those.
supralative is offline   Reply With Quote