Community
Wiki Posts
Search

electric vs. nitro

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 06:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I tried to go electric for the ease of it when running three classes. What I found was with electric when it quits running you are done, I was down for three weeks for parts. Nitro most of the time I am ready by the next heat. I have lost needles, air filters, clutch bells, ect. And still will be in the next heat.

So after two fires, losing a cell in a lipo, and waiting for parts I went and bought a new novarossi. Has not let me down all year.

Hail to the nitro gods............
Old 10-06-2009, 08:04 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by say it
I tried to go electric for the ease of it when running three classes. What I found was with electric when it quits running you are done, I was down for three weeks for parts. Nitro most of the time I am ready by the next heat. I have lost needles, air filters, clutch bells, ect. And still will be in the next heat.

So after two fires, losing a cell in a lipo, and waiting for parts I went and bought a new novarossi. Has not let me down all year.

Hail to the nitro gods............
+1

Well last weekend for the first time i ran a 1/8 scale E buggy and i was very impressed by it until i broke it!
Old 10-06-2009, 09:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

I am trying the electric route. I am hoping it is easier and less expensive in the long run to operate. Personally, I got tired of buying $30 a gallon fuel. $10 glow plugs and $25-$30 clutches.

I see the prices like this - as an intial cost
Nitro:
$400 engine
$300 nitro (for the, hopeful, 10 gal I put through that engine)
$100 turbo glow plugs (for that engine's life)
$125 clutches (for that engine)
$125 servo (to operate the throttle on that engine)
$30 Rx pack
$100 charger for Rx pack and starter box
$200 - starter box and lipo
$150 - tuned pipe
$1530 - total

When I eliminate that engine, I eliminate a lot of my costs - hopefully

The electric on the other hand - comparing the nitro and electric Losi

$250 - motor and speedo
$180 - 4s pack
$100 - charger
$530 - total

Some of the above prices are what it has been costing me approximately over the life of an engine. I know some are going to think I paid too much for this or that, but that can be argued about anything. I change my plug before the start of the my main everytime. I have spent that much I would hate to not finish a race because of a $10 plug.

There are a couple of things pushing me to electric. First thing was my airplanes. I am converting them all to EP. The EPs I already have are way less hassle than the Nitros. All I have to do is charge and fly. With the nitros, I have to charge the RX pack, fill the plane with fuel, check the tune, warm it up, and possibley retune. Not to mention the fuel mess all over the plane after the flight!

I am hoping I can get more track time and chassis setup with the EP 1/8th. I want to be able to spend more time getting the car suspension tuned and practically 0 time messing with the powerplant when I go to the track.

And I HATE looking for an air leak on an engine!

Last edited by mracer; 10-06-2009 at 11:19 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:19 PM
Tech Prophet

u dont have to change your plug before every main thats what is costing u so much i had a novarossi plug in my nova bf dint have to replace it intil the 2gallon and it ran fine, i using a nova bf .21 and thats pretly of power and its 150 and i can run with the big boys espially in the corners ,and i use a gel cell in my losi starter box works fine,and im running a $57.00 servo for the steering and a 95.00 futaba cordless thats prenty fast u dont really need to spend that kind of money
Old 10-06-2009, 10:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

but its easier to try to prove your point if you blow numbers out of perportion.
I can tell you you can get a decent nitro 1/8th going cheaper and more reliably than a cheap brushless setup.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:48 PM
Tech Prophet

hell yea u can
Old 10-06-2009, 10:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

So are what are you saying? I am too cheap or too high? And I honestly think I am cheap on the nitro...
Old 10-06-2009, 11:11 PM
Tech Prophet

i woulnt say u real high your in middle on the prices its your money not my so
Old 10-06-2009, 11:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

To add to it, you will not buy one battery. 10 to 15 minutes and your play time over. Then what happens when a cell goes down. As far as glow plugs, I have had the same ones in my two motors for a couple of months now. Engine, I run a bf $180 and od ss $200. Clutches, I have run stock 3 shoe as do most the folks in our club all year, replacing shoes once. The folks with the real expensive clutches always seem to have the problems. Most folks have a charger for rx and you do not have to have a lipo for the starter box. Half of the club run it off a car battery. So far I have saved over $500 nitro and shown the cost of electric is not that easy.

IMHO, both are good and comparable on price. Electric less maintence but when it brakes it is done, less run time. Nitro, more maintence, longer runs, and you can make it run almost all the time
Old 10-06-2009, 11:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by say it
To add to it, you will not buy one battery. 10 to 15 minutes and your play time over. Then what happens when a cell goes down. As far as glow plugs, I have had the same ones in my two motors for a couple of months now. Engine, I run a bf $180 and od ss $200. Clutches, I have run stock 3 shoe as do most the folks in our club all year, replacing shoes once. The folks with the real expensive clutches always seem to have the problems. Most folks have a charger for rx and you do not have to have a lipo for the starter box. Half of the club run it off a car battery. So far I have saved over $500 nitro and shown the cost of electric is not that easy.

IMHO, both are good and comparable on price. Electric less maintence but when it brakes it is done, less run time. Nitro, more maintence, longer runs, and you can make it run almost all the time

I will agree with some of that. Most of the guys here run the high$$$ stuff. I will eventually pick up another pack. I have a few reasons, that may be specific to me, for changing. I'm not saying I will never go back to nitro. EP just sounds tempting to me at this point.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:07 AM
Tech Champion

[QUOTE=mracer;6439495]
I see the prices like this - as an intial cost
Nitro:
$150-225 engine
$100 turbo glow plugs (for that engine's life)
$125 clutches (for that engine)
$125 servo (to operate the throttle on that engine)
$10 Rx pack (1000mah lipo hobbycity .com)
$125 charger for Rx pack and starter box
$150 - starter box and lipo
$110 - tuned pipe

When I eliminate that engine, I eliminate a lot of my costs - hopefully

The electric on the other hand - comparing the nitro and electric Losi

$300 - motor and speedo Tekin
$75 - 4s pack, get 4 of them, $300 Hobbycity.com
$200 - charger, need more than a 50 watt cheapy try a 6010

\QUOTE]

fixed it for ya

Don't need a $400 engine.

I think you'll find that electric is a bit pricier than nitro. A few unexpected hidden costs involved. Electric stuff wears out to. Plenty of racers smoke a motor/esc as often as others have worn out engines.

My electric 1/10th scale stuff costs as much for me to run as my Nitrobuggy, I don't even want to think about pricier 1/8th stuff.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

They only say that to justify it in there head.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:26 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Brushless electric is the future of not only RC but all modes of transportation the technology is improving exponentially while nitro is.....well.....NOT!
Nitro is doomed to go the way of the stone axe
I guess all I'm trying to say is...RESISTANCE IS FUTILE YOU WILL BE ACCEMILATED
Old 10-07-2009, 09:28 AM
Tech Prophet

im guessing your a electic guy and not a nitro guy right
Old 10-07-2009, 09:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Electric is no cheaper than nitro. 1/8 off road is just a money pit regardless if you like amps or fumes. They both cost about the same when it is all said and done.

Both have their own sets of problems. You just have to pick your poison and which ones you rather deal with. Electric runs too hot and nitro not hot enough. One is supposed to smoke and one goes up in smoke. One makes noise and one doesn't.

Personally, I am an electric guy as I am more technology oriented. Electric will take over, but there will always be people who prefer the mechanics of combustion engines just like there are people who still use Commodore 64s and play Atari's.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.