R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-07-2009, 10:18 AM   #61
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I like both nitro and electric. I built an electric buggy for practice more than anything. For big races while guys were tuning their engines for the altitude change I was throwing down pack after pack of practice.

Nitro still has the "cool factor" of smoke and noise though.

I ran an a123 car and really liked it. I may give lipo a whirl this year, but still undecided.

Later,

Be sure to checkout "Come Drive With Us!"

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTEAMGUY
CoryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:26 AM   #62
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Dark_gouki Send a message via Yahoo to Dark_gouki Send a message via Skype™ to Dark_gouki

You know something alot of ppl that are talking prices are missing out on A VERY IMPORTANT ASPECT OF ELECTRIC VS NITRO. IT REALLY DEPENDS ON WHAT SCALE YOU ARE RUNNING PLAIN AND SIMPLE.

S2D= Novak 8.5T
M18= Tekin 9200kv
All My Whips Are SBD (Silent But Deadly)
Dark_gouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:41 AM   #63
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgec View Post
Brushless electric is the future of not only RC but all modes of transportation the technology is improving exponentially while nitro is.....well.....NOT!
Nitro is doomed to go the way of the stone axe
I guess all I'm trying to say is...RESISTANCE IS FUTILE YOU WILL BE ACCEMILATED
Electric is not the be all and end all that it's cracked up to be. People like you have been fooled into thinking that electric vehicles are "green" and they've become trendy. They are simply a trend and not the solution to our environmental problems. What people fail to forget is that it takes a lot of energy and hazardous and caustic chemicals to make batteries!!! Plus, these batteries are charged by electric power plants, most of which are powered by coal, which is as dirty and environmentally harmful as it gets! How in the fuck is that "green"?!

I have to laugh when I think about all the owners of the POS Priuses. They will be shocked when they have to replace the batteries in a few years. Yep, have fun spending thousands of dollars on batteries when your internal combustion engine would have given you reliable power for years to come. So in a way electric vehicles are green - because you need lots of it to maintain them!

The internal combustion engine is still viable. We just need cleaner fuel and more efficiency from them. Hell, there are brand new 2 stroke engines that are burning clean and surpassing EPA requirements.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:07 PM   #64
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Electric is not the be all and end all that it's cracked up to be. People like you have been fooled into thinking that electric vehicles are "green" and they've become trendy. They are simply a trend and not the solution to our environmental problems. What people fail to forget is that it takes a lot of energy and hazardous and caustic chemicals to make batteries!!! Plus, these batteries are charged by electric power plants, most of which are powered by coal, which is as dirty and environmentally harmful as it gets! How in the fuck is that "green"?!

I have to laugh when I think about all the owners of the POS Priuses. They will be shocked when they have to replace the batteries in a few years. Yep, have fun spending thousands of dollars on batteries when your internal combustion engine would have given you reliable power for years to come. So in a way electric vehicles are green - because you need lots of it to maintain them!

The internal combustion engine is still viable. We just need cleaner fuel and more efficiency from them. Hell, there are brand new 2 stroke engines that are burning clean and surpassing EPA requirements.
I agree with you on this. Electric ain't all that "green". However, anything that gets us off pandering to middle eastern oil dictators is fine by me. I would gladly burn more coal.

For RC cars though, nitro will be the niche class in five years or less. Batteries are getting cheaper, the electronics more reliable, and the benefits are too great to ignore. Electric will never replace the smoke and noise of nitro, but I think many will get over it.

Sponsors: Visa, Mastercard, Amex, and my wife's bank account.
Edumakated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:47 PM   #65
Tech Adept

Quote:

you are half right.

Electric MUST be the future. As it is now is not viable and not very green, but continue to use internal combustion after we run out of oil (it will never happen, but it'll surely become overly expensive) is just insane.

Electric Motors can reach 80, 90, even 95% efficiency, while an IC motor doesn't go over 40%.

We just have a better way to store the energy, and we are going in the right direction (modern batteries, fuel cells, ...).

Creating electric energy is another matter, today the greener and most efficient ways are hydroelectric dams and nuclear power plants. And with nuclear fusion the efficienty of nuclear power plants will increase...

I'm for electric cars, to me, they're the future... but I'm not worried about the environment like most of the world is... I think free market and scientific progres will regulate the switch between oil and the next source of energy.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:07 PM   #66
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:

WOW, Do you kiss your mother with that mouth
georgec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:10 PM   #67
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
im guessing your a electic guy and not a nitro guy right
For my buggy (Tekno/D8), yes I'm an electric kinda guy but for my 1/4 scale planes it's gas.
I was just trying to interject a little humor and I see that went over like a turd in the punch bowl
Old 10-07-2009, 06:20 PM   #68
Tech Prophet

dont buy into that global warming crap theres not enough of nitro cars running that it really poloot the earth
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:21 PM   #69
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwisströM View Post
you are half right.

Electric MUST be the future. As it is now is not viable and not very green, but continue to use internal combustion after we run out of oil (it will never happen, but it'll surely become overly expensive) is just insane.

Electric Motors can reach 80, 90, even 95% efficiency, while an IC motor doesn't go over 40%.

We just have a better way to store the energy, and we are going in the right direction (modern batteries, fuel cells, ...).

Creating electric energy is another matter, today the greener and most efficient ways are hydroelectric dams and nuclear power plants. And with nuclear fusion the efficienty of nuclear power plants will increase...

I'm for electric cars, to me, they're the future... but I'm not worried about the environment like most of the world is... I think free market and scientific progres will regulate the switch between oil and the next source of energy.
I know internal combustion engines (ICEs) are relatively inefficient and will probably never be as efficient as an electric motor, but if we come up with a clean fuel it doesn't matter. For arguments sake, let's just say we use hydrogen where the only by-product is water. Efficiency isn't such a big deal then. Dealing with all the excess water is a whole different environmental issue, though.

Nuclear power plants are great except that we haven't figured out what to do with the waste. Burying this stuff under ground or storing it in water pools is not a good solution IMO. It poses too much of a threat to humans. We need to figure this out before we build anymore plants. And, as Chernobyl proved they are extremely deadly if something goes wrong and the safeguards don't work. That's not even mentioning the terrorism aspect.

But I agree we need to get off of the Middle East's leash. That will solve a lot of problems. Besides oil, they really don't have much that we want or need. I doubt they'll be exporting much sand! And a broke Middle East would be a good Middle East.

And renewable energy (solar, wind, and water power) is the way of the future. It HAS to be for the sake of generations to come.

But at this point we're way off topic!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:43 PM   #70
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
dont buy into that global warming crap..
+1 Global warming is a farce. A comletely made up scenario designed to tax us even more.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:00 PM   #71
Tech Elite

Quote:
dont buy into that global warming crap theres not enough of nitro cars running that it really poloot the earth
me neither...
Old 10-07-2009, 07:07 PM   #72
Tech Adept

I think CoryD hit the nail on the head with the "cool factor" Nitro is just way cooler than anything electric. I dont like to sterotype but I always look at the die hard electric guys and the die hard nitro guys two completely different breeds. Electric guys remind me of the kids in high school that wore pocket protectors and got A's in science class.They are kind of like trekies always talking batteries 20c 30c 40c , mah ,balancing ,power supply, programing esc's just way to much geek speak involved with the electric stuff for me, and there is nothing wrong with that if that's what you're in to, more power to ya. Nitro guys are more like the guys you'd expect to see at any local dirt track in a local town on any given weekend. IMO there are some distinct and appealing advantages to electric, the whole plug and play aspect is cool, and they are way more consistant than a nitro , less maintanance, But for me nothing beats the feeling when you grab a finger full of throttle on a well tuned nitro buggy or truggy and it rips over a big tripple or down the straight away. You just don't have that with electric. I don't believe nitro will ever "go by the way side" , but if it did it would be a sad day for the sport and our hobby.
jmpn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:17 PM   #73
Tech Prophet

+1 i seen electric before last about 2 to 3 years and nitro comes back and this is the guys that raced electric
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:12 PM   #74
Tech Addict

Quote:
Not to fret tc my choice of electric has nothing to do with gloBULL warming nor what anyone else thinks! It's just my personal preference and what I enjoy building and racing, each to his own. I think that's still allowed ....isn't it?
Old 10-07-2009, 08:36 PM   #75
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

I think at heart I am a nitro guy. A few underlying things, along with what I mentioned earlier, are pushing me to give the EP a try. My "theory" is I will get to go practice with the EP stuff. I swear I don't know if it is my luck or what the deal was, but almost everytime I went to the track to practice something was wrong with my nitro stuff that prevented me from practicing. And yes, I realize this can happen with EP too. At the level I drive, I just want something I put down laps with and not have to spend time I don't have working on my stuff. I am not going to a race without going through my stuff.
mracer is offline   Reply With Quote