R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-05-2009, 05:54 PM   #31
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

The electric technolgy is not there yet or maybe the experience is what people lack. I've seen more electric cars go down in flames than nitro flames.
Just this past Saturday one went down in flames...bad!!

I really like nitro, I watch the electric buggies or truggies go round and round and it's boring to watch. But watch any nitro race and you can't help it getting into the race regardless of who the drivers are.

Could you imagine if NASCAR was to go electric???? Or how about dragsters!

Electric is good for 1/10 scale but that's about it.

MY 2 CENTS
arm2storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:01 PM   #32
Tech Prophet

me too have seen two go in flames and one guy at my track speedo smoke on him while he was in the lead it was a tekin its not the first time ethier i havnt seen a nitro do that,and if u are having probrems with turnouts at your track electic defiely wont get people intrested in rc espially when they here the price of lipos etc, yea that would be weird if nascar did that
tc5 man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:20 PM   #33
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingWrecker View Post
I agree with those who say that nitro races draw bigger crowds. Electric is cool and fun, but what a boring race to watch. Too quiet!

Nitro is atrractive in that it's more like REAL car racing. Speed, pit stops, smoke, and LOUD!

Electric WILL eventually be the fastest as things develop, just as it has done for planes where nitro vs electric is concerned. But the same with planes, when it comes to realism nitro rules and will never die out.

My two cents...
Airplanes aren't a real good example. Poor fuel economy and large engines. $30 a gallon is whats killing them. 40 and 60 size nitro 2 strokes are dead and the 4 strokes are close behind.

Everybody is runing 40 and smaller as electrics and 60-90 size seems to be dieing completely.

This is good news though. Nitro is being replaced by something way, way cooler.

30-50cc gasoline sport planes. Nothing quite like an Aeroworks Yak 54 with a 50cc DA50 engine.

Still.... my electric stuff breaks down more often than my nitro. Its not that the tech isn't there. The desire to make a quality product seems lacking. Just seem to be throwing stuff out there now. Still seems to be a lot of head scratching in the E camp.

Too many speedos held together with zip ties out there. With all the R&D it takes to build a speedo you'd thunk they'd get a simple plastic case right.

Abrupt throttle tip in problems.

Abrupt brake application problems.

Still no hypoid cut pinion/spurs to get rid of that allful blender sound.

Things breaking down for no apparent reason at all.

I'll only run electric 1/8th scale if they aren't running nitro. Got to have long mains and pit stops. Thats the best part!
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:29 PM   #34
Tech Prophet

yea its the market thing the companys odvice dont care about quality about their brushless speedos and just want to sell much as they can like real car companys, i actually race with 4 electric buggys and 2 nitros and thier isnt much of any diffrence in really in lap etc i run with them granted my track isnt the biggest big enough there gone to nitro for a long time with people running with them
Old 10-05-2009, 06:39 PM   #35
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerodefect View Post
Airplanes aren't a real good example. Poor fuel economy and large engines. $30 a gallon is whats killing them. 40 and 60 size nitro 2 strokes are dead and the 4 strokes are close behind.

Everybody is runing 40 and smaller as electrics and 60-90 size seems to be dieing completely.

This is good news though. Nitro is being replaced by something way, way cooler.

30-50cc gasoline sport planes. Nothing quite like an Aeroworks Yak 54 with a 50cc DA50 engine.
Probably not the best comparison, but my point is that speedwise, EP has done for planes what I think will likely happen to cars once they get the whole 4 wheels on the ground thing worked out.

Though I don't think that 40-60 sized nitro is 'dead' just yet(at least not at my airfield,) I will agree that with the falling prices of gas engines and the ease of a $300-$400 ARF, giant scale will become bigger soon.

My last plane before I sold out was a 74" GP Extra 300s with a DL-50cc gas engine (pictured below.) It was a blast to fly. But then, so was my 140 mph, Mega Motor - 4s powered Funjet!

Ep does seem to be taking a lot of the airplane market though.
Attached Thumbnails
electric vs. nitro-extra_evvy1.jpg  
Old 10-05-2009, 06:51 PM   #36
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

For me the decision was easy. I appreciate how engines work, i love the smell sound and long running times of nitro.

My best mate has a couple of electric buggies, he isnt intersted in nitro.

We meet up every weekend. He runs for 20 mins or so then has to go home and charge, I stay at the track and play until I AM ready to leave.
sperera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:54 PM   #37
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperera View Post
For me the decision was easy. I appreciate how engines work, i love the smell sound and long running times of nitro.

My best mate has a couple of electric buggies, he isnt intersted in nitro.

We meet up every weekend. He runs for 20 mins or so then has to go home and charge, I stay at the track and play until I AM ready to leave.
He needs to buy a 12v charger!
Old 10-05-2009, 06:59 PM   #38
Tech Prophet

man that plane is big where do u store that thing at
Old 10-05-2009, 07:16 PM   #39
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
man that plane is big where do u store that thing at
I sold it but I kept it on the wall in my apartment. I had shelf hangers on my wall to set it on. The wing comes off of course.

RC planes get much bigger than that one. Some guys at my field have designated trailers to haul thier planes!
Old 10-05-2009, 08:07 PM   #40
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingWrecker View Post
He needs to buy a 12v charger!
Tell me about it, but even then your looking at 1 hour min for charging. Not to mention how much its going to decrease battery life.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:56 PM   #41
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

My nod will have to go to electric, don't get me wrong I had allot fun with nitro but once I learned how to setup an electric 1/8 buggy it's just too easy I'm talking plug and play! I have logged two years race time on the same esc (Mamba Monster) and the same six 4s packs (Turnigy 5000mAh/25c) with zero problems! I run twenty minute mains easy My buggy is a D8/Tekno conversion and I'm loving it Learn to drive it, take care of it, it will last!!

Just my two cents worth
georgec
georgec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 04:35 PM   #42
Tech Addict

It almost hurts me to say but I think elec is going to because more popular real fast and we may see less nitro around, at least at entry level.

Dont get me wrong I hope thats not the case, with nitro people learn about their buggies more, tuning fixing etc.

But I guess getting more people into the sport is a good thing.........
Old 10-06-2009, 05:26 PM   #43
Tech Prophet

maybe after next year cause i know its gone to take that long to improve there problems with speedos, yes i would get more people in maybe but if the speedos go proof than its just gone to piss newbies off, i still think nitro draws newbies not electric there not excitng
Old 10-06-2009, 05:26 PM   #44
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

Electric or Nitro? From what I have seen it really depends on what people are running at their local track. Electric 1/8th scale is killing the nitros at our local track and most of the nitro guys are changing over.

At 2 tracks within an hour from us 1 is almost all nitro unless we go race there and the other is mostly nitro with a small group slowly switching over to electric.

Electric is faster, cleaner, and less hassel. If you are new to the hobby you are more likely to stick with it going electric.

Now with that being said I do love to watch the nitro guys race. It takes experience and a good pit man to properly tune and race a nitro buggy or truggy. When done right it it awesome.

If you love nitro and are good at it stick with it, if not try the electric route.

Just my 2 cents.
MBX7R. RC8B3
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:34 PM   #45
Tech Prophet

yea at my track 4 nitro guys changed over to electric but i still run nitro i can still run with them on the track the laps are basilly the same but my track is a bull ring type of track u i love the nitro i use to do electric got old and i dont care for soldering