R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-27-2009, 08:04 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwoodchuck View Post
I had a real shocker today at the track with a electric buggy today. First, I have a 2.0 buggy with a Ninja in it, i'm also running a 14 tooth pinion instead of the standard 13 tooth pinion. I expected to be able to have about the same top speed as it but I figured I would get killed on acceleration....Odd thing happined though, I was better on acceleration and killed him in the staights. He was as shocked as me, now I don't know much about the electric 1/8th scale stuff. But he said he had the best out there now.

can't explane it!!

The E's kill nitro from a dig but at pace on the track I'd give the edge to a well tuned nitro alot of the time. Smoother low end and lighter weight. At the club level it's still a drivers race. (and I'm seeing nitro guys haveing the better luck lately) And the jx21 is an awfully good engine.

The E's have way more power but it seems to work against them most of the time. You still have to carry consistant corner speed to have enough momentum to clear obstacles on a properly chllenging track.

Relying on that extra kick of E power to clear a jump really deosn't seem too consistant. Still have to carry momentum out of the corner like a nitro car.
All that extra power usually just goes into squirelly wheelspin.

I've been running side by side nitro and E and it seems pretty fair at our level.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:41 PM   #17
Tech Prophet

i agree with u some of the guys that do convert to electric cant drive at all
and the overpower that electric has in the allection gets u in more troble
i did electric mod truck and gas truck and have to tell u i like the gas powerband better cause a lot of times when i ran the elec mod i would go to fast and hit a jump and really overclear it cause it felt like i dint really have control with it with the gas i did like if i was going half throttle i know i was going half throttle unlike electric. it also depends on the track which is faster
the track im on is kind of like a short bull ring dirt track with good jumps
and the electric and nitro are pretty much equal
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:54 PM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Both have there PROS ans CONS. I have both and like them the same. On wide open track I am able to be faster with the electric. But on tighter track I am faster with the nitro. The reason being is because the turning on the nitro is just so much better, but the available top end of the electric is a lot faster. It might be the opposite of what you would think but it's how it has worked for me. Once more vehicles come out that are electric based and not nitro converted into electric I think electric will have the advantage. Of course if you are running longer then 15 minutes (I can get 18 minutes on my 8ight) nitro is going to have the advantage because the electric will have to do a battery swap. But if you don't want to tune and just plug and play electric is for you.

If you are having reliability problems with your electric you most likely have to check your setup. I ran a Mamba Monster for all summer and a Novak HV 6.5 for a couple months and only had one problem with the Mamba which Castle replaced under warranty for free. On the entire season in the electric open class I only heard of one problem electronically.
shanty140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:05 PM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

To Chime in..Electric is Fast, Nitro is fast, Drivers Vary..I will not run an Electric 1 hour main until the battery can last that long, It may be better in the short one with a good driver..But lets get them ready for a long main, where it all matters, 10ths matter, tires matter, your pit guys matter, I just do not think electric offers the same dynamics, Its also about having fun, not just what is the most expensive or fastest for 10 minutes, its the whole package,, although, wathing the electric car thats on fire get set on the hay bail by the marshell was worth my entry fee...
Old 09-28-2009, 06:30 AM   #20
Tech Elite

I run Nitro. I will not run 1/8 scale electric, I think it is not worth the money you put in. the Electronics are too complicated - People say that an electric is less work, I say BS, you have to tune an electric that same amount as a nitro. Nitro you tune by needles and electric you tune by PC and changing gears. Right now, electric is not for a newb that don’t understand the electronic components. LIPOS, ESC, Motors ect. plus they cant run a 20-30 min main. I cant see spending $100s of dollars on lipo batteries and cant finish a main and you have to worry about everything over heating.
With my nitro, the frustration is getting everything set up to my driving style, but once that is done. I put fuel in and go and keep going till you break or run out of fuel........ If you notice at any track, which class draws in the most spectators. NITRO 1/8 scale. Buggies are truggies. The noise and smoke, the pit stops, are intriguing to outsides. We have a track is the right off the main street next to a shopping mall. And the crowds we get are crazy, and I would say at lease 2 out of 10 walks in to the LHS next door to the track and walk out with a New RC. Once the electrics get on the track, people leave ann/or go in to the hobby shop. They are just not exciting yet. Now Im not knocking Electrics Im just not a fan of elec 1/8th. I know they have power, but you can only use so much, and I know people are going to jump in my case and tell me nitro have more problems. I would not say more, but they have their fair share so do electric.

MY 2 CENTS
Old 09-28-2009, 09:15 AM   #21
Tech Prophet

i agree with u token,i think it is more of a pain to program diffrent things into the speedo than tuning a nitro and the fact of changing the pinions just to gain more speed is a pain,and plus u still have to check the temp on the lipos and the speedo ,and defiely nitro draws more a crowd
Old 09-28-2009, 12:09 PM   #22
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

What are you doing that involes programming all the time. When you first tune it on you have do the end point which takes five seconds but after that you do nothing else that a nitro wouldn't do. It not hard either to gear it either, if you temps are high put a smaller pinion on. When you want to change you brake amount, acceleration,etc you plug it into a compluter (Some systems do it right on the speed control) and it takes about a minute to setup. If you can start you computer up adjusting the ESC will not be a problem. It is kinda a double edged sword. You need a computer to tune it but you get everything in digital and exact amounts. If it's seems difficult it might just be because you are not a fimiliar with it as you are with your nitro. It's like a person coming into the hobby and having to learn to tune for the first time. When it comes to electric don't over think it and make it harder then it is.

I am not trying to be an ass token just wondering what you are doing that is making it harder then it is. Don't take it the wrong way, sometimes it's hard to get your point accross without looking like a jerk.
shanty140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 01:35 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanty140 View Post
What are you doing that involes programming all the time. When you first tune it on you have do the end point which takes five seconds but after that you do nothing else that a nitro wouldn't do. It not hard either to gear it either, if you temps are high put a smaller pinion on. When you want to change you brake amount, acceleration,etc you plug it into a compluter (Some systems do it right on the speed control) and it takes about a minute to setup. If you can start you computer up adjusting the ESC will not be a problem. It is kinda a double edged sword. You need a computer to tune it but you get everything in digital and exact amounts. If it's seems difficult it might just be because you are not a fimiliar with it as you are with your nitro. It's like a person coming into the hobby and having to learn to tune for the first time. When it comes to electric don't over think it and make it harder then it is.

I am not trying to be an ass token just wondering what you are doing that is making it harder then it is. Don't take it the wrong way, sometimes it's hard to get your point accross without looking like a jerk.

I love the direct back, when people give an opinion - but programing - look above. Dude I have seen numorous people burn up a $300 ESC, $300 in batteries blow up in the middle of the track. Im not trying to be an ass BUT working in a hobby shop and racing every weekend - I have seen more problems with electric 1/8 scales this year than nitro. I have seen more smoked up ESC and Lipos that blew up engines. Thats a FACT. You can stick up for electrics all you want - its good for the hobby. But calling me out over my opinion is Weak, Bro. But its all good.
The technology is not there yet to make the electic 8th easy to deal with. I rather sell a nitro to a newb than electric 8th for a first car. With nitro they can get help from 96% of the racers at a given track. With electric 8th they can hope the last 4% even knows where they are doing. Plus a 10 - 15 min AMAIN for 8th scale just sucks. When they can run longer mains with out the fear of blowing up $1000 in electronics the class will pick up...... FACTS ARE FACTS.

Nitro Rules followed by 10th scale electrics
Old 09-28-2009, 01:44 PM   #24
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by token View Post
I love the direct back, when people give an opinion - but programing - look above. Dude I have seen numorous people burn up a $300 ESC, $300 in batteries blow up in the middle of the track. Im not trying to be an ass BUT working in a hobby shop and racing every weekend - I have seen more problems with electric 1/8 scales this year than nitro. I have seen more smoked up ESC and Lipos that blew up engines. Thats a FACT. You can stick up for electrics all you want - its good for the hobby. But calling me out over my opinion is Weak, Bro. But its all good.
The technology is not there yet to make the electic 8th easy to deal with. I rather sell a nitro to a newb than electric 8th for a first car. With nitro they can get help from 96% of the racers at a given track. With electric 8th they can hope the last 4% even knows where they are doing. Plus a 10 - 15 min AMAIN for 8th scale just sucks. When they can run longer mains with out the fear of blowing up $1000 in electronics the class will pick up...... FACTS ARE FACTS.

Nitro Rules followed by 10th scale electrics

i would have to agree with token on this one i have seen more issues with electric than nitro it might be becouse people dont fully understand how to programe are what ever but i think nitro is the way to go.
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 01:57 PM   #25
Tech Master

To the thread starter... If your local tracks race electric then I would go that route. I believe that electric is the way of the future and so do the manufactures (Losi conversions and 8ight-E, Associated conversions, Hot Bodies Ve8, Kyosho and more).

Don't get me wrong, nitro is fun to race and can be cheaper to start. I help my nitro buddies pit all the time. They also help me with battery swaps. We have it down to a 10 second battery change every 13-15 mintues. I have run 20+ minute mains with battery swaps.

With proper gearing you do not overheat. My motor never gets above 150 and speedo 130. I run a Losi 8T 2.0 electric conversion and it is a blast. You will have a higher "getting started cost" with batteries and chargers. I have enough batteries that I can go all day. You can start small and work up to more batteries.

I bring my laptop with me to every race and make changes to the speed control if needed. I exclusively use Castle Creations Mamba Monster in my 1/8 scale RCs. The program Castle Link is very easy to use and you can have a programmed controller in a matter of minutes.
EastCoasterVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 02:18 PM   #26
Tech Prophet

i still depends on the person on if they like nitro better or electric ,i seen this before with electric it will last about 2 to 3 years than people go back to nitro at my track there is about 4 electric and 2 nitro and we are pretty much equal ,the manfactures are always gone to sell whats new for now
but they will still sell nitro ,electric is to quiet for me .to me i rather tune a engine then mess with a speedo settings
Old 10-05-2009, 04:20 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch man View Post
electric components are very un reliable.Electric components get to be a pain & expensive.
I have no idea how you can say that! Electric components are some of the most reliable man-made products on this planet. They are reliable because of the lack of moving parts. Look at TVs, computers, and microwaves. They last decades. The first thing to go is usually a fan motor or hard drive in a computer, but they have moving parts. The same goes for RCs. You may have to replace a motor or servo, but the ESC should be good for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by token View Post
I love the direct back, when people give an opinion - but programing - look above. Dude I have seen numorous people burn up a $300 ESC, $300 in batteries blow up in the middle of the track. Im not trying to be an ass BUT working in a hobby shop and racing every weekend - I have seen more problems with electric 1/8 scales this year than nitro. I have seen more smoked up ESC and Lipos that blew up engines.
That sounds like people not knowing what they're doing! It's easy to burn up electronics when you overload them!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 04:33 PM   #28
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoasterVa View Post
To the thread starter... If your local tracks race electric then I would go that route. I believe that electric is the way of the future and so do the manufactures (Losi conversions and 8ight-E, Associated conversions, Hot Bodies Ve8, Kyosho and more).

Don't get me wrong, nitro is fun to race and can be cheaper to start. I help my nitro buddies pit all the time. They also help me with battery swaps. We have it down to a 10 second battery change every 13-15 mintues. I have run 20+ minute mains with battery swaps.

With proper gearing you do not overheat. My motor never gets above 150 and speedo 130. I run a Losi 8T 2.0 electric conversion and it is a blast. You will have a higher "getting started cost" with batteries and chargers. I have enough batteries that I can go all day. You can start small and work up to more batteries.

I bring my laptop with me to every race and make changes to the speed control if needed. I exclusively use Castle Creations Mamba Monster in my 1/8 scale RCs. The program Castle Link is very easy to use and you can have a programmed controller in a matter of minutes.
+1

post in a nitro forum and you can see where people lean.
post this question the the electric off-road and everybody will lean toward electric. Just find what you like an run it....
Old 10-05-2009, 04:48 PM   #29
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I agree with those who say that nitro races draw bigger crowds. Electric is cool and fun, but what a boring race to watch. Too quiet!

Nitro is atrractive in that it's more like REAL car racing. Speed, pit stops, smoke, and LOUD!

Electric WILL eventually be the fastest as things develop, just as it has done for planes where nitro vs electric is concerned. But the same with planes, when it comes to realism nitro rules and will never die out.

My two cents...
Old 10-05-2009, 05:05 PM   #30
Tech Prophet

agree