R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-27-2009, 06:37 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Where should I start?

i have always wanted to put an RC car together from scratch and not a kit but never had the funds to back the idea and now I do. I was just hoping somebody could give me advice on where to begin this project. Thanks in advance for any help.

-Chris
Firstrm10t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:49 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstrm10t View Post
i have always wanted to put an RC car together from scratch and not a kit but never had the funds to back the idea and now I do. I was just hoping somebody could give me advice on where to begin this project. Thanks in advance for any help.

-Chris
what are you looking to do exactley ...nitro-electric big scale small scale ...racing or just playing around ...do you want a kit you have to build or an rtr you just fire up and go ? just give a little more details

TEAM REDS RACING ENGINES USA
TEAM PROLINE-RACING
TEAM RC AMERICA/XRAY/HUDY
zixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:42 AM   #3
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Get yourself a good set of hudy tools and then dive in. The right quality tools will make the building experience much more enjoyable. Otherhan that set aside at least 8-10 hours and a work station that will not be disturbed as there will be many small parts everywhere. Take your time andfollow the instructions, they always have the answers in the instructions you just have to look. Most important be patient and take your time. Nitro requires an engine break in procedure that takes awhile. Take yourtime and do it right and you will be rewarded.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:28 AM   #4
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

ok, so from scratch huh? still kind of vague. depends if you want to race or bash? or both! if your going to race, find out what classes are running at your local track and go from there. if its your first time ever plating with one and you want to race, i recommend something 4 wheel drive, either buggy or truggy. they are easier to learn to drive than 2 wheel. its all a matter of what kind of vehicle you want? and like i said, what people are running at the traack near you. do like the other guy said and make sure you buy good quality tools. you will be glad you did! and if you have any problems with anything, dont force it. and if you get aggravated with something, stop right then. from my experience thats when stuff goes tits up! im assuming since you posted in nitro offroad, you want nitro. i would go with an os engine for ease of tuning. they are awesome engines! and get a decent radio from the start, you'll just waste money upgrading later! same with servo's buy some decent servo's first time around. good luck. there are plenty of guys here who will help with any questions you have.
iraqsucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:31 AM   #5
Tech Rookie

I decided on 6th scale Nitro off-road built to race at a mud track
Old 09-27-2009, 09:36 AM   #6
Tech Rookie

and it will have to be a buggy
Old 09-27-2009, 09:55 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
I decided on 6th scale Nitro off-road built to race at a mud track
Quote:
and it will have to be a buggy
The only 1/6th scale I remember is the Traxxas Monster Buggy.. Didn't it come with a gasoline engine?

Did you mean 1/8th scale.. This is the largest market in the R/C industry.. As far as recommending a platform to start with I suggest reading the above posts. IE go to your LHS (Local Hobby Shop) or Local Track and find out what works well. But in general The Losi 8ight 2.0 and Mugen MBX6 seems to be working really well for most guys right now..

Also, When you go to the LHS or Track ask some one if they would mind helping you put a kit together, seein as how it is your first time to do it.. BUt like said if you have the tools, and can follow directions it is pretty straight forward and easy to assemble a kit..

Choose good quality electronics, DO NOT SKIMP HERE, it will only hurt you in the long run, and usually when you least expect it. You will need 2 servos, a radio and an engine.. Engine is the only place to go cheap on your first build IMO. Break-in and tunning can be a PITA for a first timer. 1 servo needs to be at least 200 in/oz torque rating for steering and the other needs to be around 150 in/oz for throttle.

Good Luck on what ever you decide to build..
Old 09-27-2009, 11:14 AM   #8
Tech Rookie

yes sorry i meant 1/8 scale
Old 09-27-2009, 01:45 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Get your self a Hot Bodies D8. For a few reasons 1st its the cheapest quality race buggy. Stormerhobbies $309, 2nd parts are really cheap for it. Its the current world champion car so lots of guys use it. And its really easy to drive because its a little on the heavy side compared to the more expensive race buggies. I have 1 and like it alot and as a matter of fact HB just made a Electric car based off the D8 and I have 1 of these on the way as I type. With this car it will leave you more cash to get all the other stuff you need to run nitro. A decent radio $200 2 servos $200 engine $2-400 starter box and battery $100 Tires and wheels a few hundred.

JR servos Hitec servos. Gens ace lipos KO radio.
malik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 01:50 PM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

He said he didn't want a kit, he wanted to build from scratch!

So what can he do? buy all the parts from ebay?

Or if it's from scratch get some aluminum and start making his own parts?

I am confused what he want to do.
Old 09-27-2009, 02:11 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

yeh sorry i mean if you are wanting to build something FROM SCRATCH AND NOT A KIT ...your in alot of trouble and better have a pot full of money ...no real suggestions from me ...good luck with that ...

TEAM REDS RACING ENGINES USA
TEAM PROLINE-RACING
TEAM RC AMERICA/XRAY/HUDY
zixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 03:04 PM   #12
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

It sounds like you haven't raced RC yet. My suggestion would be buy a used rig to start and drive it for a few weeks. See what breaks, see what you like, and what you don't. From there you could start modifying it with your own stuff till it is how you like it, or make anew from scratch what you want. There have been a couple of cheap rtr rigs on here for sale maby start there?
awdcameolsx is offline   Reply With Quote