R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-23-2009, 08:58 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Axe Rossi Engines

I'm looking for the facts on theses engines. Mainly the X2 evolution and the .25 truggy engines. Never hear much on them. I've only seen 1 cobra run but that guys motors never run well so can't go by that. I did some searches but not much showed up. Not interested in the mamba so if you've had good or bad experiences with them please post it here. I'm looking for a club motor to play with. I run speeds. Love them. Run like hell week in week out. Just want to add something a little different to the mix. I need a challenge.
Answer-RC/TLR/Futaba
Snow Monkey Racing
hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:37 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I dont know much about the Cobra but I have a Mamba X1 evo and it never has run right. I sent it to Italy and 4 months later I got it back with a new piston/sleeve and rod but it still doesnt run right. It has about a gallon on it and it is back in the box collecting dust. I even tried different carbs thinking maybe a jet was clogged or maybe I just couldnt tune that carb but nope still had the same simptoms. It loaded up really bad on the bottom when I put it on the ground and it poured smoke but when you try and lean it the motor would overheat in no time flat and lean bog. It is sealed completely too. Damndest thing I ever saw.
matrixmike28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:29 PM   #3
Tech Addict

I too have tried a mamba x1 evo.This thing would never run right.I never even tried to race with this moter.Breakin went well but as soon as you put any kind of race tune the moter would run hot. The longer you run the hotter it gets.Will only run puke rich.Moter is sealed . I have tried adding shims deferent plugs pipes fuel clutches and carb checked for leaks on engine and fuel tank.Ive been racing 1.8th buggy since 99 and never had a engine give me trouble like this thing.
BeefHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:33 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

While looking for an engine I called tech support at a large online retailer.. He said that "they're junk, don't even think about them". I went with an Orion in the end.
Snopro440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:40 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeefHead View Post
I too have tried a mamba x1 evo.This thing would never run right.I never even tried to race with this moter.Breakin went well but as soon as you put any kind of race tune the moter would run hot. The longer you run the hotter it gets.Will only run puke rich.Moter is sealed . I have tried adding shims deferent plugs pipes fuel clutches and carb checked for leaks on engine and fuel tank.Ive been racing 1.8th buggy since 99 and never had a engine give me trouble like this thing.
LOL I did all the same things for a long time, I didnt want to give up on it but eventually I just couldn't take it anymore. there is obviously a design issue with those motors.
matrixmike28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:08 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambone View Post
I need a challenge.

sounds like you found one

The train stops at the train station. The bus stops at the bus station. In my office I have a workstation.
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:48 AM   #7
Tech Master

Hi.

A very good truggy driver here in Denmark runs a X2 .25 AXE. It runs VERY well. His worst problem was too much power. Now he use a 5 mm restrictor and the engine still kicks a**. Runtime +10 minutes
I miss you Amy...
Lille-bror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 06:54 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar View Post
sounds like you found one
No doubt.
Answer-RC/TLR/Futaba
Snow Monkey Racing
hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 07:29 AM   #9
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

All i run is Axe Motors and Love them i run the Cobra .21 motor and have around 6 ga l on it my motor Runs GREAT like 9min run time Lots of Power the Carbs are a little Hard to get just the right tune on but once you do you wont touch it for a long time.
I am gone to day to help a friend Brake in a NEW Mamba so we will see how his motor Dose.

I can tell you this you need to put a NEW rod in the motor after you get you first Gal to Gal 1/2 run on it and it is Broke in the Rods are a little weak on these motors and that is way they need replaced after brake in but after that it is good like i said my motor has 6 gal after brake in and a New Rod and Runs GREAT.
Rc Pro ProDucts Team Driver www.rcproproducts.com
Hobby Pro USA Team Driver www.vp-pro-usa.com
thenova70ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 05:19 PM   #10
JUD
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I had a Mamba CEO mod. Ran great for two gallons and then the rod went
Old 09-27-2009, 12:58 PM   #11
Tech Master

Yearh, those engines needs a heat cycle break-in AND a new conrod before the first gallon of fuel. After that, they should be great
I miss you Amy...
Lille-bror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:40 PM   #12
Tech Adept

Sorry to bump this, but I've been running Rossi engines for almost 5+ years. I don't have anyone of the on engines listed above but I will say they last a long time. After 5+ years my Rossi .21 ECO still has good compression. I used it in a project AE RC10GT car that was able to propel it to 71mph. Anyhow, I just purchased a AXE Cobra the other day and hopefully they still have what they had years ago quality and longevity.

I think the biggest thing with any engine is the critical part of breaking it in. I think most of the problems people have with their engines is the fact they don't take the time (eg. get into the mindset) that this is a very critical part of the engines life.
Twisted_Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:06 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I had two Cobra engines a couple years back. At the time they were the absolute fastest engines I had ever run. The first I had self destructed when the crank counter weight came loose and I think I sold the 2nd before it reached the 2 gallon mark.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:16 PM   #14
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

i run an axerossi cobra and i have had near no problems with this engine. i have run over 16 letres through the engine and i have only bought one new glow plug because i thought i just should. i am now looking for a X2 evo as well and http://shop.vendio.com/RossiEnginesUSA/category/5/ will give you plenty of info on all the engines.

Hope this helps
dane

by the way you must take a lot of care with these engines i have blown this engine up 3 times in 3 races (due to my own fault) and it still runs. thats why i am looking for an X2 evo
Old 10-15-2009, 09:14 AM   #15
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

i had a mamba before...i liked it alot. it ran well in buggy but struggled in a truck. it is a good purchase.

JESUS SAVES, WESLEY
r1harper is offline   Reply With Quote