R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-24-2009, 09:16 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm getting real tired of people saying the RC8 is fragile. Its not!

The original RC8 had some issues. AE quickly realized the problems and updated parts werent only made they were sent to customers free of charge. The biggest issue they had was the fuel tanks and for me anyway the 3rd revision has been flawless for well over a year now.

Now they have a new car. Parts were beefed up, hop-ups were added, and modifications were made. I'm still running an old RC8 with the new parts and can tell you without a doubt the new parts are more durable as well as being refined for optimum performance.

The RC8B may not be the perfect car or even the car for you but please dont say its fragile.

I was a frequent car switcher before the RC8. In 2007 I had 6 different buggies. At one point I sold my RC8 and bought an 808. 3 races later I sold the 808 and bought another RC8. Ive been running the RC8 since 2007 when it was released (except for the 3 races with the 808) and plan to run it again next year. Ive never stuck with one chassis for that long and I think it says something about the design, quality, value and customer service of Team Associated.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:27 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTP Racing View Post
I'm getting real tired of people saying the RC8 is fragile. Its not!

The original RC8 had some issues. AE quickly realized the problems and updated parts werent only made they were sent to customers free of charge. The biggest issue they had was the fuel tanks and for me anyway the 3rd revision has been flawless for well over a year now.

Now they have a new car. Parts were beefed up, hop-ups were added, and modifications were made. I'm still running an old RC8 with the new parts and can tell you without a doubt the new parts are more durable as well as being refined for optimum performance.

The RC8B may not be the perfect car or even the car for you but please dont say its fragile.

I was a frequent car switcher before the RC8. In 2007 I had 6 different buggies. At one point I sold my RC8 and bought an 808. 3 races later I sold the 808 and bought another RC8. Ive been running the RC8 since 2007 when it was released (except for the 3 races with the 808) and plan to run it again next year. Ive never stuck with one chassis for that long and I think it says something about the design, quality, value and customer service of Team Associated.

Compared to the 808, mugen, losi - yeah it is especially for new drivers that dont know how to control the buggy.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:29 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Shock bushings, wheelbase shims, caster blocks, rear hub carriers, rod ends (all), chassis brace ends, arms, and brake rotors.

All items that needed replaced on my RC8 every two gallons or less. The Losi isn't any better. After a while, it got quite pricey.

I noticed that the Mugen drivers were allways laughing at my pile of parts that I kept on hand. The Xray drivers just stared at me with a blank look on thier face when I asked them how often they replaced their plastic hub carriers.

Had chronic problems keeping the chassis braces tight. Deos the B come with a full length engine mount?, because it's needed. My drive pins and outdrives wore a little too fast. The Cvd's wore average. Clutch bearings lasted about 5 runs as the pinion gear was really good at slamming into the chassis. Made cool sparks at night. Clutch bells were very soft metal.

Thats my Rc8 experience, throw in a little mid corner push, and I was done with it.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:36 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerodefect View Post
Shock bushings, wheelbase shims, caster blocks, rear hub carriers, rod ends (all), chassis brace ends, arms, and brake rotors.

All items that needed replaced on my RC8 every two gallons or less. The Losi isn't any better.

Had chronic problems keeping the chassis braces tight. Deos the B come with a full length engine mount?, because it's needed. My drive pins and outdrives wore a little too fast. The Cvd's wore average.
Losi is WAY better, My son has the RC8 and I have the losi and we both run together and he is replacing way more worn out or broken parts that I
Old 09-24-2009, 10:37 AM   #20
Tech Elite

I'll give you the brake disc wear too quickly but otherwise I have to disagree. To say the RC8 wears more quickly than a Losi is just laughable. The Losi develops tons of slop. It used to drive me nuts how much play there was in the steering.

None of the cars mentioned are without issues.

The 808 has problems with the pinion bearings. The plastic parts are nearly unbreakable but they do warp and IMO the spring steel driveshafts wear pretty quickly.

The MBX6 was quickly revised because it had issues too and my understanding is the chassis will actually crack over time.

The 8ight has drivetrain issues. The front center cvd lasts maybe 2 gallons tops and often I see them blow their rear diffs not to mention I still see Losi drivers frequently blowing their servos.

The Kyosho is probably the closest to trouble free but still not quite. I know they have revised their bulkheads at least once.

Remember I said I had 6 buggies one year. Ive tried most of them. Xray, Mugen, Kyosho, Jammin, Losi, and Team Associated Ive had them all. Everyone of them had or developed some issue in the time I had them. Most issues are small and many are able to be fixed permanently but not one car was perfect.

I never meant to try and tell anyone the RC8 was perfect. I know better. I just want people to give it a fair chance while they are making a decision as to which car to buy. Its a good car at a good price backed by a top notch company that has been and will continue to be very competitive across the world.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:51 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTP Racing View Post
I'll give you the brake disc wear too quickly but otherwise I have to disagree. To say the RC8 wears more quickly than a Losi is just laughable. The Losi develops tons of slop. It used to drive me nuts how much play there was in the steering.

None of the cars mentioned are without issues.

The 808 has problems with the pinion bearings. The plastic parts are nearly unbreakable but they do warp and IMO the spring steel driveshafts wear pretty quickly.Arms warp eventually. Rest of the plastic is fine. I haven't come across the arm warping problem because my car rests flat on my bench. i store my AKA's in thier bag filled with Axe body spray.

Pinion bearing problem fixed on 09 spec models. Your joking about the spring steel right? Tough stuff, haven't scratched my pins.

The MBX6 was quickly revised because it had issues too and my understanding is the chassis will actually crack over time.
Agrees, if you can find one of the early "problem 6's" you can get them dirt cheap. I doubt the chassis cracking is widespread. Still I see lots and lots of ancient Moogens out there.

The 8ight has drivetrain issues. The front center cvd lasts maybe 2 gallons tops and often I see them blow their rear diffs not to mention I still see Losi drivers frequently blowing their servos.Agreed, fastest car out there, but I would never own one. Unless I could afford one for each heat.

The Kyosho is probably the closest to trouble free but still not quite. I know they have revised their bulkheads at least once. I think Kyosho copied the RC8's best features and just used "spare no expense" materials.

I think Losi and AE woke up the big three, helped them realize that their 15 year old desighns needed some work.

Remember I said I had 6 buggies one year. Ive tried most of them. Xray, Mugen, Kyosho, Jammin, Losi, and Team Associated Ive had them all. Everyone of them had or developed some issue in the time I had them. Most issues are small and many are able to be fixed permanently but not one car was perfect.

I never meant to try and tell anyone the RC8 was perfect. I know better. I just want people to give it a fair chance while they are making a decision as to which car to buy. Its a good car at a good price backed by a top notch company that has been and will continue to be very competitive across the world.
Agreed, but I think that Xray/Mugen/Kyosho are a tier above the rest, quality and durability wise. With Losi/AE/Hotbodies right below them, just as fast but softer plastic and less hardcore on the "top of the line" materials. They are what the are. They have to remain at their pricepoint, and I think thats thier biggest limitation.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:55 PM   #22
noR
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to noR Send a message via MSN to noR Send a message via Yahoo to noR

So there ya go. Get a Kyosho MP9.

If you're so lucky anyways....

Best advice I saw above is: Check what your local hobby shop supports/stocks.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:06 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by noR View Post
So there ya go. Get a Kyosho MP9.

If you're so lucky anyways....

Best advice I saw above is: Check what your local hobby shop supports/stocks.
Worst advice i saw ever was: Check what your local hobby shop supports/stocks.

Half a Revo grafted to a Robot dog powered by rocket engines with a fuzzy worm on a string toy following it...........is not quite Roar legal.

Done RC in three different States, never seen a hobby shop with a selection of 1/8th scale parts. Sure they could order, but so can I.

You should know what parts break/wear on your car and have spares.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:32 AM   #24
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I know it hasn`t been mentioned yet but I would consider the Jammin X2. Many people at our track are switching from Losi to Jammin and swear buy Jammin now. The parts are much easier on the wallet as well compared to other. The Jammin is a much more forgiving car.

I have an 8ight 2.0 and to drive ability of the car is awesome. But it develops a lot of play and needs replacing of parts more frequent. I am in the process of building my MBX6T and the quality of the parts look awesome and if the buggy is anything like it is should be awesome in the wear department.
shanty140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:05 AM   #25
Tech Initiate

What about the CEN Matrix FRE? $349 direct or $250 if you have and old broken junked out rolling chassis you want to give up, or like me, bought the kit for $219 shipped off Ebay. http://www.cenracing.com/cars/matrix...atrix_pro.html

From the reviews and some of the people i've talked to, the Matrix FRE is one of the most durable kit's out there. From a spec comparison and the parts they put into it, the D8 doesn't compare. I dont have the expertise like some of the other guys on here, in any way, and can only mention this kit for its the one I personally researched and bought...
saki2fifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:17 AM   #26
Tech Elite

Zerodefect no I am not kidding about the spring steel. Ive had 3 Xray cars (XB8, XB8EC, and 808) and was pretty surprised by the wear characteristics of the spring steel drivetrain parts. One thing I do remember is the pins dont show the wear on the end. The pins are longer than the outdrive is wide. Untill you remove the driveshaft you cant see how much the pin has worn.

Look, I dont mean to trash any of the cars. I tried to be as unbiased as I could be by picking on all of them a little. Their all good cars or it wouldnt have been worth me mentioning them. Ive had most of them and done well with all of them. They all have some strong points and some weak points.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:29 AM   #27
noR
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to noR Send a message via MSN to noR Send a message via Yahoo to noR

Bummer. I guess you don't have a local hobby shop zeroD.

Mine handles traxxas (cause they ALL gotta it seems), and Associated, and Losi, and Kyosho. He's also got some Calandra pieces.

So I wouldn't have someone buy a Mugen and then have to wait for parts to be ordered over the internet when he could have an RC8 and have all the spare parts they need at their disposal on the premises.

Guess I don't have the same perspective.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:29 AM   #28
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

the xray is a nice car, but dont fall for the hudy hype.
the hudy tools were by far the worst hex drivers i have ever had.
the miracle metal wore out faster than any other brand of wrench i have owned.
jnslprd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:55 AM   #29
Tech Elite

Thats really not the best argument, I've had great luck with Duratrax and Sportworx tools.......but I ain't about to race thier 1/8th scale buggy anytime soon.

Yeah my LHS stink. I'd be floored if I walked into one and they actually have every part on my above list.

Although I allready stock stuff like that in my box. And why pay retail? I can order from Amain the night after my race and my parts will be at my door before my next raceday.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:58 AM   #30
Tech Elite

My LHS has NOTHING I want. Zip zero nada. The last 3 times I went there I left disgusted. Its not worth the gas to drive out there.