R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-23-2009, 01:24 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)
Default Why wont my engine run?

ok i run a ae pro .28 engine in my buggy when im just practicing and goofing around and for some reason i cannot get this thing to idle at all once its warmed up.. from start up i let it warm up.. then i put it down run it and while its still cool it will idle but once it gets hot it wont idle at all.. ive retuned it like 3 times now so i know its not the tune.. i run a O'Donnell red (hot) plug in it, which worked really good in it about a gallon or so ago. but now it wont, so i switch to a medium o donnell plug and it didnt help at all.. what could be my problem now? im clueless what it could be. its not the tank or lines because my jammin .21 engine runs great with the same tank and lines. so what do u think? theres about 4 - 4 1/2 gallons on it.
Thanks for any tips.

Serpent - Desoto Racing - Picco - AKA - Hitec - RC Addictions Products - Tekin - VRP - Avid RC - SMC - MIP - SkipGear - The Ohio RC Factory
Quad Racer 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 01:34 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quad Racer 34 View Post
ok i run a ae pro .28 engine in my buggy when im just practicing and goofing around and for some reason i cannot get this thing to idle at all once its warmed up.. from start up i let it warm up.. then i put it down run it and while its still cool it will idle but once it gets hot it wont idle at all.. ive retuned it like 3 times now so i know its not the tune.. i run a O'Donnell red (hot) plug in it, which worked really good in it about a gallon or so ago. but now it wont, so i switch to a medium o donnell plug and it didnt help at all.. what could be my problem now? im clueless what it could be. its not the tank or lines because my jammin .21 engine runs great with the same tank and lines. so what do u think? theres about 4 - 4 1/2 gallons on it.
Thanks for any tips.
you may need a new pinch
Old 09-23-2009, 02:04 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I've 2 pro 28 engines and both of them leak from the front bearing. Since both these engines came with an rtr package I didn't really care and put better engines on my cars. I'm not aware if there is a rubber seal between the crank case and bearing or is it just metal to metal seal that keeps the air inside. Maybe investing in new bearings may fix the problem.
TopGearRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 02:21 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjqkz View Post
I've 2 pro 28 engines and both of them leak from the front bearing. Since both these engines came with an rtr package I didn't really care and put better engines on my cars. I'm not aware if there is a rubber seal between the crank case and bearing or is it just metal to metal seal that keeps the air inside. Maybe investing in new bearings may fix the problem.
i think im going to do that and get it repinched.

Serpent - Desoto Racing - Picco - AKA - Hitec - RC Addictions Products - Tekin - VRP - Avid RC - SMC - MIP - SkipGear - The Ohio RC Factory
Old 09-23-2009, 07:19 PM   #5
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I had a really grumpy Pro 28 in my SC8 and I found sealing the carb and backplate helped the engine alot.
Hope this helps...
--Glenn
Glenn_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:54 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Like everyone else has said make sure engine is sealed well, but don't go nuts with the sealant, it can get inside and foul things up..

I would disassemble completly and check the cylinder walls for scratches.. I ad a Force .28 that was doing the same as you discribe and the cylinder wall was all kinds of scratcehd up.. wouldn't hold a tune once it was warm..
Old 09-24-2009, 05:32 AM   #7
Tech Addict

you my have a bearing going out
Old 09-24-2009, 07:23 AM   #8
Tech Fanatic

I have one word...."Paperweight" maybe that should be two words but you get my point. I had the Pro .28 and had a hell of a time with it. Lost compression very quickly and would not do anything after if got hot. I guess you could repinch it but if I were you I'd make an investment into another engine. You'll be better off in the long run.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:10 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestcajun View Post
I have one word...."Paperweight" maybe that should be two words but you get my point. I had the Pro .28 and had a hell of a time with it. Lost compression very quickly and would not do anything after if got hot. I guess you could repinch it but if I were you I'd make an investment into another engine. You'll be better off in the long run.
i already have another engine. i have a jammin jpx.21 but i use that for racing only and the .28 to practice with in my backyard. im going ot get the .28 repinched and new bearings. hopefully that'll help it.