Wiki Posts
Search

Futaba rx and heat

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 11:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default Futaba rx and heat

I have the 4PK and tried both the 3 and 4 channel rx in both my rc8b and rc8t.

I've had run aways on both cars for no reason other than the rx box gets very hot. The box temped between 140 - 155. Will that cause the rx to freak out and lose signal?

I tried a two diffenent lipo regulators and a new common sense 2s 1500mah lipo.

Any suggestion?

Thanks,

Jody J.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:42 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

search, but

futaba says not to run lipo even with reg

also

yes they will thermal with heat to prove put it in a box and blow a hair dryer on it, it will shut down at near 160 every time
Old 09-11-2009, 11:46 AM
Tech Regular

OK, thanks!

Does that the same thing with Electric vehicles?
Old 09-11-2009, 11:47 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default heat

Jody, we have a 3PK and have had heat issues, no runaways, but just rec. just stopped working, you'll find that the 3PK and 4PK are prone to heat, by this I'm talking about heat from either the motor or outside amb temp. I'm out here in Phx AZ, and one time we ere practicing and it was 113, our rec would shut down just before we finished a tank. We could put the back rec, and we'd get another tank, then same thing. You can do a few things to help, we've drilled holes in the rec tray top for air, mount the rec on its side to help air flow, and put the heat shieldng tape or out side of rec box.
The heat that I'm talking about is from the out side, I'm not sure if you could have a possible servo going bad and pulling more current than normal.
Hope this helps
Old 09-11-2009, 11:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

I run Lipo with regulator with my 4pk and 603fs receivers. I've had the thermal shutdown happen a couple of times in my MP9's. Make sure you have the failsafe set properly. When mine overheat the throttle goes to idle. I ended up mounting the RX to the Lid of the box with D/S tape and a zip tie. Haven't had any issues since. Just changed over to Xray's and I haven't had it happen YET. If your failsafe was set properly, you may have some sort of problem with the regulator. What kind of regulator is it? I run the Orion 10a regulators and have had to repair one due to intermittent cut outs of power going to the RX which will cause a run away unless you have a good return spring on the throttle.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:54 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the replies guys. I forgot to set the failsafe the first time, so we had a run away. I set the fail safe the 2nd time and it went to idle.

On the RC8B they added a battery box up front, so I will move the receiver and regulator to the front and battery to the back. On the truggy, I will mount the RX on top of the box and see what happens.

I tried three different regulators, 2 commonsense and 1 castle bec.

Thanks!
Old 09-11-2009, 12:00 PM
Tech Elite

switch rec. go with crystals or my buddy is going with the spectrum rec/mod in the futaba
Old 09-11-2009, 12:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Send the receivers back into Futaba and have them fixed. They will correct your problems.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:06 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JoeyTheRocket
Send the receivers back into Futaba and have them fixed. They will correct your problems.
So, is it a known problem with heat? How did they fix it?

Thanks.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:07 PM
Tech Addict

No they won't. I called them about this problem twice before, and both times they denied having any kind of heat issues. Needless to say, they lost one customer for life.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Really? I mean my 4PK I purchased a couple of months ago appears to be suffering this issue. I had no idea what it was initially. Halfway through the main, I'd lose steering and throttle/brake. I'd take it to the pits and it worked fine...

I had no idea this was the issue! I use a lipo pack and reg. So, i reckon' I can try a NiMh pack....

Old 09-11-2009, 12:21 PM
Tech Elite

pft no they wont, just ask rod and why he's switching to airtronics.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:22 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JodyJ
So, is it a known problem with heat? How did they fix it?

Thanks.
Oh ya!!! Mine went out right in front of the head Hobbico/futaba guy at the Nat's too.

One more time and I'm going back to Airtronics.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:23 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by allan42r
pft no they wont, just ask rod and why he's switching to airtronics.
Mr. Cramer did take care of me though, but Futaba is on there last leg with me.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:24 PM
Tech Adept

I bought a 3PM with the FASST 2'4G sistem about 3 years ago and using it with a NiMH pack had that same problem in summer but not in winter.

I drilled the receiver box full of holes (dust got in anyway) and the problem dissapeared.

I have heard of lots of drivers with the same story, but thought it was taken care of in the newer models.

I don't know, but it could also be lipo and new-more potent servos using more current causing also more heating....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.