R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-20-2009, 06:53 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default T-Maxx 4910 is my transmission done?

I've been interested in getting a good RC vehicle for quite some time now. Luck would have it that I stumbled upon a T-Maxx on craigslist for cheap. It doesn't seem abused, more neglected. The fuel was gummed up and the glow plug was toast. Those are all easy fixes and only an order away.

One concern though is the transmission seems to spin freely. Almost as if it's missing a vital gear. Is this how it's supposed to be? Maybe there's a centrifugal clutch in there? I haven't torn it apart as there's nothing rattling inside. Is this normal? If not, fixable or is it something that has to be replaced?

I'm trying to avoid spending a decent chunk of change on this. Afterall, if I keep replacing things I might just be better off getting a 3.3 from the get go.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Divinitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:22 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

The black tranny, unless it's had a forward only conversion kit installed, will do exactly what's shown in your video. The For/Rev gears have a small clutch that disengages at low RPM so it can shift gears.

Try taking an air nozzle and blowing the across spur gear to spin it up really fast. The truck should jerk once it gets enough speed. I personally eliminated reverse because I couldn't stand the annoying bucking when the truck took off.

Installing the FOC makes the black tranny pretty much bullet proof, unless you put a .21 in the truck, then you're more likely to twist driveshafts, not break the tranny.
Stubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:17 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

That is normal for that type of transmission.
bigde2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:14 AM   #4
Tech Rookie

Great! thanks guys. Best $60 I've spent thus far. Hehe.
Divinitous is offline   Reply With Quote