Wiki Posts
Search

Clutch help please

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 05:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Clutch help please

I have losi B 2.0 rtr. The clutch wore out. So i went with what the hobby shop owner told me. I only got 1 race day out of it. Im not sure what I used. I didnt save the bags. I dont understand the differant clutch sizes, degrees, alum., composite or anything else about it. I have nitro experience but never had to deal with all these choices in clutches. Way to many choices so im confused. The track i run at is pretty flat with not too big jumps. There are alot of turns and a long straight. My question is what do i use for good all around performance. My main concern is i want them to last for a good while. What is normal wear life on clutch shoes?
Old 09-20-2009, 06:04 PM
Tech Prophet

i have a losi eight 1.0 and i use the same stock clutch setup 2 alum and composite ,i would get the dynamite max life shoes and keep the composite shoes if u want to use them put the gold clutch sping on the alum and green on the compsite i know on the rtr they proberty have the silver on alum and gold on the compsite they will wear the clutch shoes out in no time u will still have prently of punch with that gold/green setup and its smoother and also clean the clutchbell and sand it everytime your done racing and get the greese out where the bearings go in the clutch bell i think the shoes i was talking about should last about 3 gallons or maybe more whatever u do do get overheat the clutch the compsite shoes will be gone.
Old 09-20-2009, 06:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I've just switched to the Answer Rc clutches and have been really impressed.

Here's the link Answer Rc I run a 3 shoe setup with one composite, and the reason for this is to keep the bell clean and provide a little slip so you are not revving up the engine and spinning the wheels when the clutch shoes engage. Plus the springs do last and you can tune them to your track. After the first race, 3 qualifiers, and a 20 minutes main, the shoes had just a tick of wear, not even enough to file, and the bite was consistent.

Get yourself a couple sets of clutch bearings while you rebuilding your clutches. I'm sure if you wore out your shoes then they got hot and can use a replacement.

Good Luck ..
Old 09-20-2009, 07:01 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mcgrath280
I have losi B 2.0 rtr. The clutch wore out. So i went with what the hobby shop owner told me. I only got 1 race day out of it. Im not sure what I used. I didnt save the bags. I dont understand the differant clutch sizes, degrees, alum., composite or anything else about it. I have nitro experience but never had to deal with all these choices in clutches. Way to many choices so im confused. The track i run at is pretty flat with not too big jumps. There are alot of turns and a long straight. My question is what do i use for good all around performance. My main concern is i want them to last for a good while. What is normal wear life on clutch shoes?
Kind of sounds like you put some carbon shoes on and had used aluminum shoes before in the same clutchbell. If you are using carbon shoes, use a new clutchbell, if it has had aluminum shoes run in it, it will wear out carbon shoes in a hurry.

+1 on the Answer RC clutch shoes and springs!
Old 09-20-2009, 08:16 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mcgrath280
the RTR's only come with 2 alum shoe's.....get a fresh set of composite's and a pair or alum's......Green on the comps and Gold on the alum....normal life on a losi set-up (pending on maintenance) can last a couple gallon's.

as for what alum shoe's to get.....if your LHS has stock blue losi's those will work.....the Kingshead 7075's would be another alternative....or if your making an order online some M2C Reg Hards's would be my choice.

if the stock shoe's slagged out the clutch bell..you will want to replace it for the new shoe's....it sucks...but it would be the best best to ensure the new set-up lives a full life.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

I've tried three different aluminum shoes and I have to say the kinghead 7075 were the worst. I would recommend the dynamite max life shoes I got the longest life out of those by far gallons upon gallons if taken care of.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:46 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by AsSc8
I've tried three different aluminum shoes and I have to say the kinghead 7075 were the worst. I would recommend the dynamite max life shoes I got the longest life out of those by far gallons upon gallons if taken care of.

you stalled them incorrectly then....the 7075 are by far one of the toughest shoes out there....if the dyna's lasted and the KH didn't...something went terribly wrong with the KH's....there both the same Hard 7075 alloy therefor will wear very similar.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:29 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 47 (98%+)

I run 2 long life losi aluminum shoes and 2 composite shoes. This setup has worked GREAT for me. The composites are smooth out of the turn and the aluminums grab good on full throttle.

This setup last a long time also. The composite shoes work like lubrication for the aluminum ones.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:30 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have been using 2 max-life shoes and 2 losi carbon shoes. If the track I go to is loose or dusty, I run black springs on carbon, green on maxlife. If the track has good traction, I run green on carbon, gold on max-life. This setup has work very good for me!!

Last edited by RacerScott; 09-21-2009 at 11:45 AM.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 47 (98%+)

Are the dynamite max life shoes aluminum? They look composite.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:31 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by XXX8ight
Are the dynamite max life shoes aluminum? They look composite.

they are a hard 7075 alum with silicone impregnated in them to prevent slag build up.