R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-20-2009, 09:33 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by biighemi View Post
i am leaning towards electric. I just saw my buddies e-revo, and wow. thenhe hooked it up to a laptop, and slowed it way down for my track, looked good. Is that an option???? The e-revo that is....
they are nice and really fast. my friend has one and i drove it the other night at the track and WOW! its crazy. he had it all dialed in too. i would like to have on for myself. BUT most places dont race monster trucks. you would have to race it with truggys which would probly beat you pretty bad. but if your local track has a monster truck class go for it. just find out for sure if they are going to keep it or not.

Serpent - Desoto Racing - Picco - AKA - Hitec - RC Addictions Products - Tekin - VRP - Avid RC - SMC - MIP - SkipGear - The Ohio RC Factory
Quad Racer 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:35 AM   #17
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

If you want to race. stay with a truggy. Another thing is is there alot of other e racers in your area? A revo isnt very good against truggies imo.
DezSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:36 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by biighemi View Post
i am leaning towards electric. I just saw my buddies e-revo, and wow. thenhe hooked it up to a laptop, and slowed it way down for my track, looked good. Is that an option???? The e-revo that is....
Not really, I only know of one track that races monsters.

And the revos are hardly competitive in truggy, allthough most will let you run in truggy.

Just go truggy and save your self some heartache. I'd recommend a conservative motor setup to start with no matter what. Plenty of people running the Tekin 1700 motor 4 cell instead of 1900 or more.

You can dial down a motor with radio epa. But thats lame, I just pull the trigger less.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:39 AM   #19
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

if your planning on racing on the club level, and there is enough electric supporters in your area then go for it! ive raced around my area a little and just dont see any support for electric anything or monster trucks for that matter, i would love to have a ebuggy tho, that stuff is awesome!
Old 09-20-2009, 09:44 AM   #20
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

If you plan on doing any racing at a track you might want to find out if they race a monster truck class not many do if they don't you need to look at getting a truggy . I'm a nitro guy so I don't know to much about brushless but if you buy the the right gear you can probably program the power output maybe someone can chime in and confirm that .
Old 09-20-2009, 09:48 AM   #21
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Alot of the new systems can be programmed via usb. i feel that nitro is easier to get tuned for a track and not be crazy over powered. Brushless can be a handfull if not setup right and over powered.
DezSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:01 AM   #22
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

racing level at a club is in the future, like maybe next late summer. Now I have my own track, but i want something that i can at least compete with friends. 1. has slash brushless, the other has rc8t, that i will see for the first time today after the Packer game. I think i would be roller ready late next year... I like the e revo, but if it is going to suck on my track like the revo did, then lois 8t. 2.0 looks good for now. Thanks!
biighemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:46 AM   #23
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

As hard as it is to say because I love my RC8T the losi is a better value because of the radio gear. I have not got to drive it yet but it looks like it handles great on the track
Old 09-20-2009, 11:11 AM   #24
Tech Master

yes, ultimitly the race roller is the best way to go, but... the losi truggy rtr is a great deal. there are a couple of them at the track and i'm impressed with them. the only upgrade the guys did was the servos, other than that the are stock. plenty fast i must say also. you can use the rest of the money for upgrades/tires if you wish.

stay away from the revo...period.. unless you want to bash.
on the track, the truggys will kill it and eat it, only adding salt for the meal.

“Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.”
jrwoodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:33 AM   #25
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to drs92

I think $1000 is a very doable budget. If you want to get the e-revo go for it! But I advise you to look at this since you want a rtr electric truggie it's better then the e-revo for racing, way better!! It's compatable with mugen mbx-5t parts too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjVHb...layer_embedded
you can buy it here, rtr! just buy batteries
http://holeshothobbies.com/index.php...roducts_id=443

Caster Racing is a great company! If you need parts order from holeshot hobbies. Good guy to deal with
drs92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:49 PM   #26
Tech Apprentice

Sometimes you can get out used a lot cheaper than new and still get quality stuff. I am currently in the process of building up my car with only a 650 dollar budget (however, I already had an Airtronics M11 2.4 and start box so this is Car money only)
So far, I bought a Jammin X1 Pro with LOTS of upgrades over the standard kit version, 16mil shocks, full CVD's CNC upgrades, Came with one near new RTR body, Another useable body, A full spare set of CVD's, Half dozen new A-arms, New proline wheels with Crimefighters, JP-1 pipe with only a few minor dings and lots of other stuff. While true it may not be the current model, Its still a very competitive car. I paid 195.00 bucks for it
I am going to use the Novarossi B21F Limited engine (that choice was made after hours of engine browsing reveiws on this site) along with the Dynamite 0053 ( i think it is) pipe?. I am looking at about 200.00
That leaves me 255.00 to get 2 Servo's, flywheel and clutch setup. I havent deicided on which Servos exaclty but I figure with what money I will have left after ordering the engine, I could spend around 100.00 per servo. That will buy good equipment.
While I am not new to driving,and bashing I, like you will also be new to racing as this will be my first race car and on a competitive level.
Not sure if this helps any, but i thought i would mention it anyway
-Will
Lomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:52 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I've got to agree try to buy a used truck.. It'll save you a ton of money.. USed servos and other radio gear can be had at good prices too. And engine unless owned by someone you know and trust is better bought new. If your new to nitro tuning you might wanna look into getting a pre-run motor, like a trinity ex-tech.. If not then get one of the more inexpensive engines like the Nova or Werks mentioned earlier in this thread.. I recommend the Werks for the better top end.. but the NOVA is a good engine also..

If your dead set on a new truck, look seriousy at getting the Hot Bodies D8T. Very competative and durable for the money..

But what ever you do don't buy an RTR.. You'll just end up spending more money on it to get it race worthy than ou would have buying a kit..

And as far as practicing on your won track to get good enough to compete.. You'll never know how fast you need to be until you jump into a "Real" race.. Trust me I practiced for months and could get around the track freaking awesome, until I got to a race.. OMG I was gettin blown away and it wasn't pretty at all.. I've sine improved a ton, and can compete fairly well. Your buddies might be good and if they race they could give you some pointers and that miht help, but if they are doing the same as you, then it won't be much different. Don't get dicouraged though. Stick with it and you'll see the progression and get better weeke after week. Ask others where do I need to improve?

This is my first full season racing, so I've still got room for improvement.. And I've got a old design handicaping me.. Jammin X-1.. It is still competative, but not as good as it could be..

Good luck with what ever you chose to do and have fun.. Don't forget that last part.. HAVE FUN!!!!
Old 09-21-2009, 05:28 AM   #28
Tech Apprentice

Thank you all so much. You have been tons of help. I have decided to go with electric. Purchased a E revo brushless for just all around fun. Spring time( I am in Wisconsin,lol)I will get a roller and build up for the "track truck" this way I will have at least a set of batteries, and a nice charger. Now I have to find that stuff. lol

Thanks again!

Just an FYI my wife said "wow that is awesome that people responed with help that quick, you men/boys love your toys"
Old 09-21-2009, 05:33 AM   #29
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by (MRC)Scotty! View Post
I've got to agree try to buy a used truck.. It'll save you a ton of money.. USed servos and other radio gear can be had at good prices too. And engine unless owned by someone you know and trust is better bought new. If your new to nitro tuning you might wanna look into getting a pre-run motor, like a trinity ex-tech.. If not then get one of the more inexpensive engines like the Nova or Werks mentioned earlier in this thread.. I recommend the Werks for the better top end.. but the NOVA is a good engine also..

If your dead set on a new truck, look seriousy at getting the Hot Bodies D8T. Very competative and durable for the money..

But what ever you do don't buy an RTR.. You'll just end up spending more money on it to get it race worthy than ou would have buying a kit..

And as far as practicing on your won track to get good enough to compete.. You'll never know how fast you need to be until you jump into a "Real" race.. Trust me I practiced for months and could get around the track freaking awesome, until I got to a race.. OMG I was gettin blown away and it wasn't pretty at all.. I've sine improved a ton, and can compete fairly well. Your buddies might be good and if they race they could give you some pointers and that miht help, but if they are doing the same as you, then it won't be much different. Don't get dicouraged though. Stick with it and you'll see the progression and get better weeke after week. Ask others where do I need to improve?

This is my first full season racing, so I've still got room for improvement.. And I've got a old design handicaping me.. Jammin X-1.. It is still competative, but not as good as it could be..

Good luck with what ever you chose to do and have fun.. Don't forget that last part.. HAVE FUN!!!!
YOu are %100 right....HAVE FUN!!!! that revo i had with the picco red dot motor was not fun!! stalling, mid range bog, bearing leaking, boca bearing replacement, running at 300+ idle issues. the 3.3 that came with it was better. To me, that Motor was a whenever i had free time hobby. I drove my buddy slash brushless, pure fun!
Old 09-21-2009, 08:50 AM   #30
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Like a lot of the other guys have already mentioned the monster truck class at races in my area is almost none. If racing is something your serious about I would get a nitro 1/8th buggy or truggy.

I think your first move if you havent already should be to get a better radio than the one that comes with the Revo. A good computer radio will allow you to limit your throttle as well as program a curve. I dont know much about the E-Revo and hooking it up to a laptop but it seems to me a good radio ought to be able to do most if not all the adjustments you could possibly make to the speedo. Maybe I am wrong but I think hooking a RC car to a laptop seems a lot like overkill. With a better radio system you ought to be able to adjust it so you can get your Revo around your track so you can practice.

The price of 1/8th nitro stuff has come down enough I think you ought to be able to get some pretty good stuff in your $1300 budget.