R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-19-2009, 11:49 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default Failsafe info help please!

I'm worried that my trucks(savage xss, t maxx 2.5) will run away due to battery lose and I need a little help on what kind of fail safe I need. I searched some on ebay and need someones knowledge on if this is the right one. How does it work?, what do I need for it? how to install it? and i heard that you need battery power to make this work(wouldnt a failsafe be useless then) Thanks guys!

the one on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nitro-RC-Fail-Sa...d=p3286.c0.m14
karrar55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 11:56 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to imaxx21

failsafe wont do squat if the battery dies...
Old 09-19-2009, 11:56 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rearviewmirror Send a message via Yahoo to rearviewmirror

Use one that is built into the radio and a spring/rubber band... Cheap and easy.

"Straights are for fast cars, curves are for fast drivers...."

8ight-E / 8ight-TE / T4 / Slash
rearviewmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 11:58 PM   #4
Tech Regular

hi bro, a fail safe is put between you battery and your receiver on your car! what it is used for is when signal from your transmitter does not reach to your reciever it will automatically turns your throttle servo to put the brakes on to prevent it from running away! you should also purchase a lipo battery to replace your old batteries! the fail safe is useless if you battery on the car dies out which in turn would not power the failsafe!
http://www.nitro-toyz.com/ofn91002.html this is how failsafes looks like!
hope this helps!
LAM3SAUCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:08 AM   #5
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearviewmirror View Post
Use one that is built into the radio and a spring/rubber band... Cheap and easy.
ur telling me to buy a radio that has the failsafe. and i dont get the spring rubber band. where does that go? and how does it work? is that a way to protect the car from running away due to battery loss?
Old 09-20-2009, 12:23 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Failsafes are a little hit and miss. Electronic failsafes can be good for Am radios and normal servos, but if you make the switch to digital servos you'll probably have more issues than they are worth. I know from experience my electronic failsafe used to randomly jam (at WOT mind you) when i put in digital servos. To install electronic failsafes... you basically open up your radio box on your car, pull the throttle servo cable out of the receiver, plug the throttle servo cable into one end of the failsafe, and then plug the other end of the failsafe into the receiver. Then you program it (will come with instructions) generally by turning on the transmitter, turning on the receiver, holding the transimtter in brake position, then pressing a button on the failsafe. Pretty simple stuff.

Anyway... as has been mentioned, failsafes are useless to prevent run aways due to low receiver batteries. To stop this, the next best solution is a small spring that you can use to force the carb to closed (commonly known as a throttle return spring). Keep in mind by installing this small spring (or even some hair bands ... anything as long as it can withstand a bit of heat) you will put extra pressure on your servos and this may reduce battery life or even shorten the life of your servo. The throttle return spring generally works by connecting one end to the HSN and one end to the carb like so; http://www.myrcbox.com/wp-content/up...urn_spring.jpg

The next level of failsafe though is the built in failsafe on 2.4Ghz radios, such as Spektrum DX3R. These radios provide the best type of failsafe as it is pre programmed into the radio. These newer radios may be a little pricey but, and may not be worth it if you're not into racing.

Overall though there is only one sure fire way to prevent a runaway that never ever fails. That is, by using that grey stuff that resides between your ears. Just make sure you range test your radio when you go out, make sure your transmitter and receiver batteries are well charged and you'll be right. Ohh and if not already done so, make sure your batteries on your car are well held in place (cable tie the battery or use some good velcro to stick them in place real good... just so the battery can't pop out if you have a significant bump)

Hope this answers your questions.
LordAnubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:33 AM   #7
Tech Apprentice

o wow thanks for that info! so basically my best bet is to always charge the batterys and test my range before starting the truck? correct
Old 09-20-2009, 12:40 AM   #8
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Yeah, pretty much, and don't forget to watch how long you run your car for too... just take it easy and and keep everything in moderation (an hour of use is generally pretty long for receiver batteries to last... but then again this depends on a LOT of variables)
LordAnubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 05:13 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

FYI
A rubber band or throttle return spring will only help if your throttle linkage breaks or pops off. Do not put any more tension on it than it will take to close the carb with no linkage attached.