Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PLEASEEE HELP!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 10:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default PLEASEEE HELP!!!!!!!!

I have the worst luck! I broke the roto starter backplate and now i need to remove it to replace it. I am moving the rear suspension to get to the backplate. my problem is that their is to screws on the chasis that WILL NOT unscrew. is their a way to get to the backplate without removing those two screws? or is their a way to remove these screws? I attached a vid to explain everything. APPRECIATE YOU HELP guys!!!!

http://s663.photobucket.com/albums/u...rrent=urrr.flv
Old 09-18-2009, 10:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

take the engine out
Old 09-18-2009, 10:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

right after i posted this, i took a look at it again and said i should have removed the engine lol!!!! any tips on what i should be careful on when removing the engine? thanks!!!!
Old 09-18-2009, 10:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

yeah i agree just take out the engine
Old 09-18-2009, 11:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

When removing the engine... i do this;

1) Clean car as best you can, this weill help keep the engine clean.
2) remove fuel lines connecting to carb and exhaust
3) remove fuel tank (on my hyper 7 it jsut gives a little more room... no other advantage of doing this)
4) remove air filter from carb end, and get a nice wad of paper towel and put into the air inlet of the carb (to keep the dirt out of engine while working on it)
5) remove throtlle linkage (i sometimes pull the ball end of the linkage off where it connects to the carb... but i find it easier on my car to just the linkage from the servo end, and just have the linkage dangling off carb while working on the engine)
6) unclip the springs that hold your exhaust to the engine (easy if you use long nose pliers) and remove exhaust (keep in mind your pipe is generally bolted in somewhere with a wire) then when exhaust port on engine is open, get some more paper towel and fill the gap, again to keep the dirt out
6) undo the engine bolts from bottom of chasis. My car has a 2 screws i can use to remove engine... basically the engine bolts to a "engine mount plate" and then that plate bolts to the chassis. Not sure if this is common for all cars... but anyway i can either remove the mount plate from the chassis, or undo the engine from the mount plate. I find it eaasier to remove the engine from mount plate... Keep in mind, with both methods it's it's generally best if you make you sure your gear mesh is good before bolting the engine back on.

Putting back in is basically revers order, but i'm sure you'll figure it out.

Nothing really to be careful of when removing engine... just make sure you use good tools so that you minimise risk of stripping the screws. Oh and when putting the car back in... use loctite on the screws that hold the engine to the chassis. So which ever mount screws you remove, loctite them before you screw them back in

Hope it helps.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

i thought by moving the 4 bolts from the engine i would be moving the header but it was the whole engine being removed( in that case thats simple). BEST FORUM!!!

THANKS GUYS
Old 09-18-2009, 11:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

will this fit my savage xss with a 4.6 ofna engine? dont know if my engine is a k4.6 or 4.6

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_1123wt_1165
Old 09-19-2009, 04:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LordAnubis
When removing the engine... i do this;

1) Clean car as best you can, this weill help keep the engine clean.
2) remove fuel lines connecting to carb and exhaust
3) remove fuel tank (on my hyper 7 it jsut gives a little more room... no other advantage of doing this)
4) remove air filter from carb end, and get a nice wad of paper towel and put into the air inlet of the carb (to keep the dirt out of engine while working on it)
5) remove throtlle linkage (i sometimes pull the ball end of the linkage off where it connects to the carb... but i find it easier on my car to just the linkage from the servo end, and just have the linkage dangling off carb while working on the engine)
6) unclip the springs that hold your exhaust to the engine (easy if you use long nose pliers) and remove exhaust (keep in mind your pipe is generally bolted in somewhere with a wire) then when exhaust port on engine is open, get some more paper towel and fill the gap, again to keep the dirt out
6) undo the engine bolts from bottom of chasis. My car has a 2 screws i can use to remove engine... basically the engine bolts to a "engine mount plate" and then that plate bolts to the chassis. Not sure if this is common for all cars... but anyway i can either remove the mount plate from the chassis, or undo the engine from the mount plate. I find it eaasier to remove the engine from mount plate... Keep in mind, with both methods it's it's generally best if you make you sure your gear mesh is good before bolting the engine back on.

Putting back in is basically revers order, but i'm sure you'll figure it out.

Nothing really to be careful of when removing engine... just make sure you use good tools so that you minimise risk of stripping the screws. Oh and when putting the car back in... use loctite on the screws that hold the engine to the chassis. So which ever mount screws you remove, loctite them before you screw them back in

Hope it helps.
Im impressed with this post. Nice and thorough.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

100% agree!!!
Old 09-19-2009, 06:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

you could try heating up a soldering iron and putting it on the scew and get it hot that usually works for me make sure you have a good screw driver and that looks like the backplate you need