Wiki Posts
Search

Servo question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 06:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Servo question.

What would cause a servo's motor to continuously spin while the servo is not receiving any inputs? I have a Futaba s9351 throttle servo, and at neutral, all radio(DX3R) settings neutral, the servo is spinning. The gears aren't turning, although they will if I pull the trigger on the radio, but there is a constant sound of a motor running, and within a couple of minutes, the servo was over 100ºF. The steering servo is fine, no noises, no complaints. I was thinking stripped gears, but the servo functions properly with the pull of a trigger, but it does make a continuous sound and get hotter than I'd like a neutral servo to get.

Thanks.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

means its time for a new servo
Old 09-18-2009, 06:42 PM
Tech Master

Yeah, I'm thinking it's a potentiometer. The servo sounds like it's constantly under load, but if I place just the slightest bit of pressure on the trigger, it stops making noise.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:18 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Digital servo's make noise with a load on them...Even the slightest bit from a throttle spring....if that's what your hearing...your description makes me think other wise...but still its a shot in the dark.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

It is normal because the servo is hold its neutral point. If it did not hold neutral then it would have a slight delay when the servo horn is moved. You can shorten the life of servos by accidently leaving the switch on because of this reason. Hopes this helps.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:15 PM
Tech Master

I actually figured it out; it involved taking the servo apart. The main gear was somehow not at neutral, like it had skipped a tooth over. I guess the servo was trying to center and the motor was constantly spinning. I had to take all the gears out and try and set them back up where they wanted to be. The internals looked fine and it is operating as well as or better than it used to.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Semple
I actually figured it out; it involved taking the servo apart. The main gear was somehow not at neutral, like it had skipped a tooth over. I guess the servo was trying to center and the motor was constantly spinning. I had to take all the gears out and try and set them back up where they wanted to be. The internals looked fine and it is operating as well as or better than it used to.
That could definitely be the problem. I took apart my 5955 and forgot to include the plastic piece for centering the pot thing. Caused the motor to run continuous.