R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-18-2009, 10:41 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default rc8t setup help?

hey guys i have a setup question on my truggy about the diffs, it's a stock rc8t rtr, i took it to a state race last weekend, and i noticed that the front end pushes when trying to corner, that's on or off the gas, i was running aka city blocks soft all around, and the rearend is to loose, i run on a clay sand mix track, that is pretty smooth with some blue groove, i run 7,7,7, diff oil all around, i'm just not very good at setting up the diffs so the truck will drive better, what would be a good diff oil setup to run in my truggy, i just need more traction i guess?
trents88r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 10:57 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to MotoGod Send a message via Yahoo to MotoGod

I run an XRay XT8 Truggy and it was suffering from the same symptoms you describe. Felt like a dump truck in corners for sure! I popped my diffs out, cleaned them up good...and went with 7 - 10 - 5 for fluids and it is NIGHT and DAY for me. The Truggy is now completely flickable in corners and reacts VERY VERY fast compared to what it used to. The fluid change alone made me a good 15-20 seconds faster per lap by allowing me to put the Truggy where *I* wanted it to go...and not where it felt like it wanted to go.

I wanted to run 3 in the rear, but I had none on hand...so I chose 5 and it's been working great thus far. Someone recommended 10-15-3 to me as a nice setup and that would probably work very very well too. My new fluids just get more power to the front wheels which makes cornering effortless now. The old fluid was 5K and beat to death so the front just wasn't digging in...no matter what tires I ran.

My experience is little at the moment though, only 6 months in the hobby...but learning fast. After this fluid change....I will be checking/changing it every 3-4 races max....
MotoGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:16 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trents88r View Post
hey guys i have a setup question on my truggy about the diffs, it's a stock rc8t rtr, i took it to a state race last weekend, and i noticed that the front end pushes when trying to corner, that's on or off the gas, i was running aka city blocks soft all around, and the rearend is to loose, i run on a clay sand mix track, that is pretty smooth with some blue groove, i run 7,7,7, diff oil all around, i'm just not very good at setting up the diffs so the truck will drive better, what would be a good diff oil setup to run in my truggy, i just need more traction i guess?
On my RC8T-E I ran 7-10-3. Ran awesome with that setup.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:21 AM   #4
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

Quote:
ok, ive been dealing with this all year, i finally got it straight 7-10-5, the key with ae is ride hieght, 38mm front 44 rear, garunteed, a couple local factory ae guys fixed me up, whole new truck

hope this helps
STUBYSLAP31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:25 AM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
I do not run a RC8T myself, but I helped my buddy set his up and I believe we settled on 7-10-2.
BIG RE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:26 AM   #6
Tech Regular

I run the 7-7-7 on my RC8T. The only time the truck pushes is on throttle or if I get back on the throttle in the center of the corner. I have tried the 7-10-5 setup and didn't notice much difference. I run a heavy rear bias on the brake and throw the truck into the corner. When there is alot of traction this can be an issue as I rely on the rear to slide. I was thinking of trying the 7-10-5 (did not notice alot of difference with this setup) again the next time out, or even the 7-10-3. I did notice that moving the battery up front has helped a bit.
Tekno / Dialed RC Hobbies / TKO Competition Development /
Stirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:19 PM   #7
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default 7-7-3

I had the best luck with 7-7-3 in the diffs. 38 ft. 44 rear ride height with the assocaited ride height guage with the battery mounted up front. I had the pushing problems and this is what fixed it for me. Tons of steering now.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:25 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to JoeyTheRocket Send a message via Yahoo to JoeyTheRocket

Team Associated 1/8 scale Truggy Info and Tips

This night help ya
Old 09-18-2009, 01:41 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Diff 7-7-7
shocks 1.3mm x 6 pistons 45f 40r all AE fluids
-2 camber front and rear, 2+ toe front, 3- toe rear
Short hubs front, long hubs rear
38mm front ride height, 44mm rear
battery forward
14t clutch bell, 50 spur
stock AE clutch shoes, with 1.0 springs

I also have a little more rear brake bias. probably 65r35f
Bigedmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 09:40 AM   #10
Tech Rookie

thanks alot guys, this was tons of help, my ride height is all messed up then it's like 32mm all around, never messed with it
trents88r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 12:37 PM   #11
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default ride height

whats the best way to adjust the ride height?
Old 09-19-2009, 01:03 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to MotoGod Send a message via Yahoo to MotoGod

Adjust your shocks for ride height. Either via spacers...or by tightening/loosening the preload adjuster.
MotoGod is offline   Reply With Quote