Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HPI HELFIRE SS

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 07:22 PM
Tech Rookie

Default HPI HELFIRE SS

I am thinking about buying the helfire ss kit. Does anyone have any opinons good or bad, or other comparable Trucks or buggy I should also look at.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:31 PM
JSR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

There's quite a bit of info on the web (both on RCTech and other forums) with very long dedicated threads to the Hellfire. What most people will tell you is that the design is old and out-dated by today's standards and thus the price is not justified. The RTR had weakpoints, but the SS is stronger (better materials). For the price, there are many truggies that are newer in design.

If you want to stay with the HPI family, the Hot Bodies D8T is a great truggy at a great price. Easily competitive with truggies costing $200-$300 more.
Then there's the Losi 8T 2.0, Associated RC8T (both of which use SAE hardware, if that matters to you), Kyosho ST-RR, Tamiya TRF-801XT, Mugen MBX6T, X-Ray, Ofna Jammin X2, and tons more, but these are the most popular race-level truggies. Good luck.

Last edited by JSR; 09-17-2009 at 09:53 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:24 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

you should give the D8T a look over. it is a great truck and everyone i talk to loves it i will be getting one as soon as i can afford it.

dane
Old 09-18-2009, 06:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

i owned a hellfire ss, it was my first 8th scale..

do yourself a favor ....go with the d8t or a more race inspired truggy

regaurdless of what some say theres a reason u hardly see one race on US soil anymore

i used to love being differant then everyone else by running off brands

TRUST ME ITS NOT WORTH IT EVEN IF IT WAS $200 NIB
Old 09-18-2009, 06:20 AM
Tech Elite

Well my first question is do you have all of the extras? Engine, servos, (highly recommeneded) 2.4 radio system?

The reason Im asking is becuase the D8T is a good platform and runs with the "best" of em, but if you still need to by whats mentioned above your still going to spend a nice chunck of change.

If this is the case I would recommend the Team Losi 8T 2.0 RTR - I thinks its around $800 or so and comes with EVERYTHING you need to hit the track. Parts a widely avalible, and you will be able to get plenty of support at your local track.

If moneys not a concern then there is ALOT of options out there _ I say LOSI.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:38 PM
Tech Rookie

I do not have the motor or electronics yet. I want to get a decide on a vehicle first and then see what best fits it i am not to worried about cost I am thinking Like 1500 -1700 total with a setup station.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:52 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jamesfouquet
I do not have the motor or electronics yet. I want to get a decide on a vehicle first and then see what best fits it i am not to worried about cost I am thinking Like 1500 -1700 total with a setup station.
Ok I still am going to say LOSI

But if you want to build a setup then that would be better, better engine, sevos ect......

LOSI 2.0 and Mugen is my top 2 choices
Old 09-18-2009, 02:14 PM
Tech Adept

I've owned a hell fire, I currently own a jammin, both really good trucks.
the D8T is a solid performer, it's a tough sell between either the losi 2.0 and the D8T. yes losi comes complete, a 28, high end radio system and a starter box. literally one stop purchase and go racing. the D8T on the other hand, comes in kit form, and you still have to buy everything else.

good luck with your decision see you at the races.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

what about parts? can you easily find replacement parts if you break that's another thing to consider. but I agree with everyone else if you want to run hpi family get a D8T or LOSI/Mugen which are very high end/quality kits
Old 09-18-2009, 07:29 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by cluffy1
you should give the D8T a look over. it is a great truck and everyone i talk to loves it i will be getting one as soon as i can afford it.

dane
I checked out all of the cars above and think I will probly go with the hot bodies d8t. It is acctualy one of the less expensive ones
Old 09-18-2009, 07:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Man when i saw the title of this thread i was like do the hellfile exist? but i guess it does but i'm have to go with token ..go with a losi 8T 2.0 ..to me if you look at D8T its a replica of 8T 2.0 just M.O.