R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-18-2009, 05:54 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default Cen Matrix C1 Pro FRE

I've been watching Hobby Evolution sell these a few times on Ebay, so last night I ended up winning the bid for $219... Shipped! Personally, this was the best deal I could find on an inexpensive, race ready, updated and durable chassis'.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=320422890681

It looks like the newer C1 Fre kits are being upgraded with some newer parts vs. what they used to come with like the captured hinge pins, 16.5mm shocks, etc. Just going by previous and older reviews of the buggy versus what CEN now says it comes with.

I've been looking at the R2 Fre, but couldn't wait and couldn't pass this up...

Cant wait to get it! It'll be my first actual "kit"...

Attached Thumbnails
Cen Matrix C1 Pro FRE-2007-january-page-160.jpg   Cen Matrix C1 Pro FRE-2007-january-page-161.jpg   Cen Matrix C1 Pro FRE-2007-january-page-162.jpg   Cen Matrix C1 Pro FRE-2007-january-page-163.jpg   Cen Matrix C1 Pro FRE-2007-january-page-164.jpg  

Last edited by saki2fifty; 09-18-2009 at 06:55 AM.
saki2fifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:08 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Looks like a good deal
bigde2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:43 AM   #3
Tech Regular

LOL.. I bought one also ... waiting for tit to arrive ... I agree seems to be a great deal.
getpip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:48 AM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Ruune Send a message via AIM to Ruune Send a message via Yahoo to Ruune

shoot me a message if you guys need some 7075 billet knuckles. I had a large number of them made and need to move some, since the R2 FRE is nowhere to be seen:

These are P/N MXS65-B on www.cenracingdirect.com
Ruune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:16 PM   #5
Tech Initiate

Just got my package last Thursday... very excited. Wife and I went up to Dallas over the weekend to see Bill Burr (comedia, hilarious) so didn't have much time to work on it. I know the Matrix is not as popular as the other kits here, but still very excited nonetheless.

I am going to document the build on this post mostly for my benefit, but if it helps any along the way, then great.

The documentation starts out by building the shocks. The instruction manual by the way, is in full color, seems to be well organized and easy to read. Nothing really to compare it to, for this is the first kit i've built.

** Got my Package. Cant wait to tear into it...

** Opened up the box, and there was a huge bag that I guessed held the parts for the buggy. I picked up the bag and was surprised that it was as heavy as it was!

** All the parts laid out. After going through the documentation, looks like the bags are organized by chapters, or sections... 1 through 8. So far, I am very happy! I checked out the chassis, and it looked really cool with its milled out areas. Is very stiff compared to my cheapie rtr's. 7075 aluminum per the specs.

** Documentation. Looks to be high quality...

** Nice parts glossy

** Section 1 parts laid out. Time to build the shocks...

** I was able to start on Friday, only a very small portion before I went out of town. Basically just went through the shock assemblies, familiarizing myself with the parts.

**Got back from Dallas on Sunday. Had a little time to read up more on properly building the shocks. Built the shock shaft / piston assembly.

** Shock shaft assembly in the body. Lubricated the o-rings and spacer. Getting ready to assemble.

** Assembling the parts. Used the technique from a video on Youtube on how to properly build shocks that was suggested in another post I made. I used some duct tape to hold the shaft, while I tightened the rod end.

** Parts assembled, and filled with oil. I worked the piston as per the instruction, and also per some online docs I found, but there were still very small tiny bubbles that were just not floating to the top... fluid was full of small tiny bubbles. On another post, it was suggested to watch some Youtube *howto* videos. I Watched... very beneficial. Basically I just have set the shocks up on end and have to wait it out... before long the bubbles should have risen and disappeared.

** Shock assembly completed, and capped after filling with Oil. I need a shock stand now...

** Didn't have a shock stand, so I made some out of newspaper trying to hold the shocks up by the body and not the shaft.

** End of day, Monday 9/29/09

Last edited by saki2fifty; 09-30-2009 at 10:03 AM.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:49 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

i ran the matrix pro for a year are so and it is a pretty good car i would up grade the nuckles but other than that there really not much to do you can buy some of the lighten parts for it but if not a seroiuse racer you will be just fine the car is pretty tough.
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:29 AM   #7
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Great pics, and have fun with the build. The car is a little on the heavy side, but if this is your first buggy, that will help you in learning to drive it.

The only parts that I would recommend as "should do's" out of the box, are the knuckles (as mentioned) and the steering bell crank. Upgrade tot eh aluminum one after the stock one breaks, and you'll never do it again.

Bell Crank. It's the red part inthe center of the picture with "CEN" on it.

Keep up the thread, it'd be neat to see one of these builds decently documented.
RC8.2E - Tekin/Savox/Reedy
M06 Pro - Orca/Savox/Reedy
DeastyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:09 AM   #8
Tech Initiate

Didn't have time last night to do anything, had to take my son to soccer practice after work and thats about it. Just basically browsed the forums reading up on stuff.

But I did check the bell crank and it looks like it just a plastic piece. Most all other pieces though are either carbon or aluminum... even the radio box is carbon.

I'll have time tonight to work on it a bit more tonight.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:44 PM   #9
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

have you driven your cen matrix in the track, so how you like it.does i handle good.
meno222 is offline   Reply With Quote