R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-17-2009, 10:12 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default T-Maxx Troubleshooting

Hey guys, new to the forum =)

So, I'm new to the hobby. My friend bought the latest Revo, and I bought his old 2.5 T-Maxx (w/ 3.3). Over the past few months I've upgrade just about everything on it except for the Trans and Motor. I've read a LOT about tuning, and being a hobby mechanic that hasn't been *too* tough. But, even with all that, I haven't had any luck curing an issue, and neither have two seperate RC mechanics I've brought it to ...

So, every since day 1 since I've had it, it dies a lot. Now, I know all RCs die when you're running them from time to time, but this thing dies 2-3x as much as the other ones I run with. 99% of the time when it dies, its at a standstill, or just pulling to a stop. I use to have an issue with it dying while moving (even in 2nd doing 30+), but that seems to have cured itself with a lot of motor tuning. But, 99% of the time, after I get it started, if I let it sit for more than 30 seconds before pulling the gas it will die. If I'm cruising around for 2 minutes and I just hit the break, half the time it will die outright or sit there, sputter and bit and die again.

Again, at this point, its had 2 professional mechanics "tune it", I've done it a few dozen times, and at every track I go to, people feel bad for me and they come over to help and try to work on it too. It's cursed ...

So, then ... a similar issue happens with my friends brand new Revo, on his 4th or 5th day out with it. He pulls to a stop and it dies. He had to lift it off the ground, start it, pull the gas, and put it down ... sounded familiar, same issue I have at times. In his case, they swapped out the "Slipper Clutch" and it fixed the issue. Does that sound right?

Well anyway, that's the symptoms and I'm horribly frustrated. At this point I've paid people nearly $100 in helping troubleshoot it and I'm no closer to a solution at this point.

Thanks for any insight you might have!
spinaldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:01 PM   #2
Tech Elite

How old is the engine?

Change the glow plug
Old 09-17-2009, 12:09 PM   #3
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Clutch or lsn

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:25 PM   #4
Tech Rookie

I'm not sure how old the engine is. My friend had it for 2 years and he bought the Tmaxx used.

I've swapped Glow Plugs and it doesnt change anything.

I'll play with the adjustment a little more but I haven't had any luck keeping it stable with the lsn thus far. maybe it is the clutch? When people talk about the clutch do they mean the slipper clutch or are there multiple ones in the trannys? I haven't opened it up.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:10 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

It very well could be a low compression issue you're fighting and no ammount of tuning with solve that. How's the pinch on that motor?
pickle311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:11 AM   #6
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Gotta love Trx 3.3's or maybe its a Super old school 2.5
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 01:54 PM   #7
Tech Rookie

I'm going to do an exchange for a new one this afternoon. I'm thinking I would rather just burn it in myself and go from there to start fresh. I looked at the OS .18, but based on all the forums I've read although its a stronger engine it takes as much tuning as the 3.3 and for the extra $100 I'm just not pro/hardcore enough to really see the difference, I don't race, I just screw around with my nitro. Hopefully that'll cure my issue!