R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-17-2009, 11:48 PM   #61
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBRARACING View Post
Ive been all around the world to watch racing events and to be honest its funny to see 95% of on road and off road drivers all around the world who run nova engines use odonnell glow plugs

whats the matter with nova plugs?dont they work in there own engines?

Does is take a odonnell glow plugs to stop the nova's flaming or even running right?or is it an availabilty thing,price? does anyone know?

OD 97T=5.99 NR C6TGC=10.99 it may be price, but when running the nova's I try to use the TGC, but latley it has been hard to get, it's one of the most prefered, but the OD works very well. I run it in the OS as well
Check us out on Facebook
Mr. Twister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 04:12 AM   #62
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Platinum View Post
Grouchy runs Novarossi +4 and likes them but he gets them 1/2 price, he is gonna try out my frankenstein v- speed this weekend.Also the more I do this hobby the more I am finding out that tuning is very esoteric stuff.
Let Gouchy know that now that he has a Vspud and a +4 he has to post a comparison review!

If the potatoe lasts long enough to review.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 04:50 AM   #63
Tech Addict

Why not make an engine with a straight bore and a piston with rings?????
Joey Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 02:29 PM   #64
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

do other 2 cycle engines use piston rings (weedeater, chainsaw etc) why wouldn't they use them on thease engines? Is there a drawback?

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 02:46 PM   #65
Tech Elite

Simple, a piston ring bends up and down every time it changes direction. We run our race .21's to 40,000 rpm. Thats too much for a ring to handle. Now if we had bigger slower 4 stroke thumpers........Theoreticly, I don't see how our race engines can hold up at all at speeds like that.

The piston in a RB WS9 goes up and down and back to up (where it started) 733 TIMES EVERY SECOND.

Now I'm not sure if the practical RPM fiqures for these engines actually happens on the track but they're doing at least 20,000 rpm and even that is moveing.

Even just taking it easy tooling down pit lane that engine is cycleing up and down at least 166 times a second.

A better question would be, when should we start trying 4 stroke ringed .51's
Less clutch wear, more torque, usually better traction, better fuel mileage. And they really aren't much heavier. Usually in airplanes the high-end Saito four strokes are actually lighter than the 2 stroke mills.

Would work real nice in truggies, not sure if it would have an advantage in buggy.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:14 PM   #66
Tech Addict

I would think the rings would not deform because they would be planar to the reciprocal motion where as a piston pin retaining circlip would be linear with the force and it would deform.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:13 PM   #67
Tech Elite

On OS .28xz weighs in at about 15 onces including pipe.

A Saito .56 weighs about the same and needs a tiny little muffler. Weight isn't a problem. Just a matter of gear ratios to get one of these to work.

http://www.wholesaletrains.com/Detail.asp?ID=200508562

bigger:
http://www.wholesaletrains.com/Detail.asp?ID=200508562

Personally I think the engine co.s are scared to try something new. R&D isn't exactly cheap. And we'll buy just about anything anyway........
Old 09-19-2009, 12:08 PM   #68
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

ok. I leaned the bottom end almost a whole turn and a HALF!!! the damn thing is stupid fast. Temps around 200. I will never assume that other peoples settings will work on my ninja. I was told 4 turns out on the lsn and 4 1/4 on the hsn. The high speed was correct, but the lsn and idle gap was not even close to the same ballpark. I can still get a little more out of it. But am VERY happy where it is. Man is it a smooth engine. Just keeps pulling. Now i am still ordering a new P/S/R for it, as i have no idea how much damage i did to it running it for almost a gallon at 160 temps. Still has decent compression but no pinch.

live and learn. I should have known. I was really good at tunning the vspec. But i was so worried i would run it too lean and figured since everyone had thease setting on thier lsn, i though i was messing up my engine.

Anyway, love the engine. More so then the vspec for sure!!! i just don't see how the speed could be 150 bucks better then what i am witnessing

oh, i also ran it with 30 percent and put the copper shim back in.

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 01:21 PM   #69
Tech Master

I believe it was the truggy racers forum that had a 5 min or longer vid(with pictires & modds & details) of a guy running a 4 stroke in his truggy. He ran into some problems but said he figured them out.

Maybe do a search on youtube might find something? Anyway other than the really irritating noise from it, it looked to drive like a normal truggy & would run 10 min no prob he said.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:02 PM   #70
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Amoeba Send a message via MSN to Amoeba Send a message via Yahoo to Amoeba

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
ok. I leaned the bottom end almost a whole turn and a HALF!!! the damn thing is stupid fast. Temps around 200. I will never assume that other peoples settings will work on my ninja. I was told 4 turns out on the lsn and 4 1/4 on the hsn. The high speed was correct, but the lsn and idle gap was not even close to the same ballpark. I can still get a little more out of it. But am VERY happy where it is. Man is it a smooth engine. Just keeps pulling. Now i am still ordering a new P/S/R for it, as i have no idea how much damage i did to it running it for almost a gallon at 160 temps. Still has decent compression but no pinch.

live and learn. I should have known. I was really good at tunning the vspec. But i was so worried i would run it too lean and figured since everyone had thease setting on thier lsn, i though i was messing up my engine.

Anyway, love the engine. More so then the vspec for sure!!! i just don't see how the speed could be 150 bucks better then what i am witnessing

oh, i also ran it with 30 percent and put the copper shim back in.
Glad you got it tuned better dreaux. I figured you'd see an night & day difference. Always *always* start from factory defaults and tune from there. Using someone else's needle settings to start with is just asking for issues. The engine wear, usage pattern, fuel choice.. all these things can vary so even identical engines will run better at different needle settings. While there tend to be some ballpark settings that will mostly work, it may not be the best settings for *your* engine. I once had 2 AE .26's that I bought at the same time. One wouldn't run for crap unless the LSN was 4.5 out, the other wouldn't run on anything richer than 2.75 out on the LSN.

Now pretend the mid-speed needle doesn't exist!

Do Not Taunt Happy-Fun Ball
Amoeba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 06:38 PM   #71
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Now pretend the mid-speed needle doesn't exist!
And be sure to put your head in the sand.....
cordarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 07:13 PM   #72
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordarrow View Post
And be sure to put your head in the sand.....
Why put the cylinder head in sand? Wouldn't it get in the air filter?
Old 09-19-2009, 07:53 PM   #73
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerodefect View Post
Why put the cylinder head in sand? Wouldn't it get in the air filter?
Maybe he means cooling head, that way the sand keeps the engine warm?
Old 09-19-2009, 08:15 PM   #74
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (88%+)

Why would you go by someone elses needle settings? All climates and altitudes are different so they would NEVER have the same effect in 2 places.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:15 PM   #75
Tech Addict

He meant to be oblivious to the differences in tuning options ,it was a figure of speech. Oh yeah, Vitor Belfort sang a lullaby tonight and Rich Franklin Fell asleep.