Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Are you using P3 plugs???
Funking-Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:11 PM   #17
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

I know who your talkin to Zerodefect and I run my filter's like that ALL the time....and i cant say that my motor's have changed a tune one bit.....i have noticed a little different weave to the towel's from roll to roll...but i never found it to effect anything....so maybe you got an extra thick roll...but i doubt it......Thick Filter oil was something that in conjunction with the wraps Could hinder the air flow a bit...but nothing extreme....Myself and a couple buddy's run our filter's like that and no problems.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:12 PM   #18
Tech Addict

From years of running dirt bikes i had grown accustomed to a dirty air filter causing a 250cc dirt bike t foul a plug before it would puul dirt through the filter. I had an incredibly strong running v-spec that almost never needed tuning and ran it too long with a dirty filter and it pulled dirt all the way thru the filter and would still run decent ,so I had no idea it was sucking dirt all thee way thru. RUINED...... Any time you find yourself turning the screws and not getting the desired result take it as a WARNING that something else is going on and you are being offered the chance to toast your engine.These engines will do some weird stuff, I am still learning everyday!!!I have a couple of really BIG saws that have to idle for 3-4 min. to allow for the expansion differences in the metals.
Joey Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:15 PM   #19
Tech Addict

Needle and seat imperfections???
Joey Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:20 PM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

maybe one too many shims for the cool head temps?
Old 09-16-2009, 06:37 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
I know who your talkin to Zerodefect and I run my filter's like that ALL the time....and i cant say that my motor's have changed a tune one bit.....i have noticed a little different weave to the towel's from roll to roll...but i never found it to effect anything....so maybe you got an extra thick roll...but i doubt it......Thick Filter oil was something that in conjunction with the wraps Could hinder the air flow a bit...but nothing extreme....Myself and a couple buddy's run our filter's like that and no problems.
LoLz. I tried that and my engine went crazy! I don't know how I could screw up putting a paper towel over a filter with rubber bands but I sure did!

Got the engine running ok finally, then pulled off the paper while running on my box, and the engine started screaming like I was giveing it gas! (too high idle setting with the towel on) No more towels for me! Was I supposed to peel a layer off or something?

In the end it works out in my favor. I was running that engine in at a new track while it was acting crazy. So my competition thinks I'm a noob now. LOL, they're in for a surprize.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:42 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Twister View Post
My needle settings are as follows, I use these settings in oval and offrad for truggy, oval, runtime doesnt matter, truggy 10 to 11 min 235 with an exergen.

HSN 3 turns in from flush
LSN 2 hours in from flush
Mid is flush at 3 oclock
7mm insert Nitrotane 30%
idle gap about 1mm

Idle's all day, tons of grunt and topend

Most of the JX's i have seen or tuned run very well with those settings, the modded button can change that but very little, mostly just a slighly richer setting.
mine is leaned more then that.

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:46 PM   #23
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerodefect View Post
LoLz. I tried that and my engine went crazy! I don't know how I could screw up putting a paper towel over a filter with rubber bands but I sure did!

Got the engine running ok finally, then pulled off the paper while running on my box, and the engine started screaming like I was giveing it gas! (too high idle setting with the towel on) No more towels for me! Was I supposed to peel a layer off or something?

In the end it works out in my favor. I was running that engine in at a new track while it was acting crazy. So my competition thinks I'm a noob now. LOL, they're in for a surprize.
I dunno how you screwed it up...but i guess you did if the thing's happened as you said......I would think you were using a different brand of towel that was Overly thick or something.....did you test the flow prior to installing on the motor...its something i normally do once in a while...test with the wrap on how much restriction if any there is...and ever since using ONLY Yamaha filter oil ive never felt one even the slightest bit restricted....when i used Maxima Filter oil which was Really thick and tacky the filter's felt a hair restricted...but still the motor's ran fine without a glitch...i dunno dood....good luck at kickin butt next race.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Old 09-16-2009, 06:50 PM   #24
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Platinum View Post
Needle and seat imperfections???
haven't thought of this yet. I alwasys put lightly oil new filters after every couple tanks. Been trying new plugs (p3) all the time. Doesn't matter. Took the copper shim out and left the silver doesn't matter. the only other thing i can think is either the 20% fuel or maybe something is wrong with the needles?

I mean it runs fine. But way to cold. That cannot be good for the engine.

Mugen
Old 09-16-2009, 06:52 PM   #25
Tech Elite

maybe i got a lemmon?

Mugen
Old 09-16-2009, 07:00 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
maybe i got a lemmon?
theres no way a nitro engine in a car can run that well and not burn you when you pick it up by the head.

If its running well, I'd take it to the track. Try to get more help there. Kinda have to see an engine to diagnose it.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:04 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
I dunno how you screwed it up...but i guess you did if the thing's happened as you said......I would think you were using a different brand of towel that was Overly thick or something.....did you test the flow prior to installing on the motor...its something i normally do once in a while...test with the wrap on how much restriction if any there is...and ever since using ONLY Yamaha filter oil ive never felt one even the slightest bit restricted....when i used Maxima Filter oil which was Really thick and tacky the filter's felt a hair restricted...but still the motor's ran fine without a glitch...i dunno dood....good luck at kickin butt next race.
Well, I did hold the towel over my face and try breathing through it. (Great now I really sound crazy.) Did have a bit of restriction. I thinks I have the wrong paper towels.

Just thought haveing a weird air restiction would make the car loose power, wasn't expecting it to tune backwards and make power backwards! These engines go nuts if you do this wrong.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:11 PM   #28
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Amoeba Send a message via MSN to Amoeba Send a message via Yahoo to Amoeba

The mid needle on 3 needle carbs is the fuel regulator needle. This should rarely (if ever) be monkeyed with. By turning it in you are restricting the total amount of fuel & air allowed into the combustion chamber. Basically you've "underclocked" your engine to use a computer analogy. This is why it's running okay but very cool. Your engine head has a volume of .21cc but you're filling it up with <.21cc of fuel/air mix (probably running that .21 like an .18) so the amount of compression is much less and you're not getting the full performance from the engine. As others have said, running the engine too cool is worse than running it too hot due to part wear.

Put the mid-needle back to flush with the housing (roughly 3 turns out). Put it back full in while pulling the carb slide out as having the slide in will give a false stop location as the mid stop bar hits the LSN needle and then go 3 out. Reset your LSN & HSN to factory and re-tune from there.

Do Not Taunt Happy-Fun Ball
Amoeba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 07:15 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amoeba View Post
The mid needle on 3 needle carbs is the fuel regulator needle. This should rarely (if ever) be monkeyed with. By turning it in you are restricting the total amount of fuel & air allowed into the combustion chamber. Basically you've "underclocked" your engine to use a computer analogy. This is why it's running okay but very cool. Your engine head has a volume of .21cc but you're filling it up with <.21cc of fuel/air mix (probably running that .21 like an .18) so the amount of compression is much less and you're not getting the full performance from the engine. As others have said, running the engine too cool is worse than running it too hot due to part wear.

Put the mid-needle back to flush with the housing (roughly 3 turns out). Put it back full in while pulling the carb slide out as having the slide in will give a false stop location as the mid stop bar hits the LSN needle and then go 3 out. Reset your LSN & HSN to factory and re-tune from there.
Whohooo! I guessed right on page 1. Am I now an engine expert? (nevermind the preairfilters wrapped around my face)
Old 09-16-2009, 07:16 PM   #30
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerodefect View Post
Well, I did hold the towel over my face and try breathing through it. (Great now I really sound crazy.) Did have a bit of restriction. I thinks I have the wrong paper towels.

Just thought haveing a weird air restiction would make the car loose power, wasn't expecting it to tune backwards and make power backwards! These engines go nuts if you do this wrong.

try a thinner towel or not as many wraps.