R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-16-2009, 04:43 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Default CLUTCH ISSUES

how do you tell if your clutch is slipping?
can you do any tests?
also what has more bite ? alloy shoes or carbon ?
Thanks
zonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:09 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Aluminum will always have more bite, They just wear out sooner. Also, make sure your bearings are clean(blow out the grease, and add alittle light oil). That grease can cause carbons to slip bad.

I prefer alum over carbon. I just try to calm my finger down. Others like all carbon, cause they rip the throttle soo hard.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:55 AM   #3
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

there are many reason's to run comp over alum or vice versa...the best screnario is a mix as the comp's keep the alum from slagging and lubricate the clutch and prevent melt down's(which do happen to All Alum set-up's)

as for knowing when your clutch is slipping....if you get more Engin RPM then what is being translated into power to the ground...or you hear your motor Struggling to push the vehicle along....Alum has more bite...comps will slip before they engage.

Dont over spring a Composite shoe or it WILL burn down in no time flat.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 07:58 AM   #4
Tech Adept

My biggest dislike of aluminum shoes is how they leave grooves in the clutch bell. It's almost like you need to change out the clutch bell every time you change shoes.
khudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:02 AM   #5
Tech Adept

well im running the alum shoes and i have no bottom end the motor doesnt come alive until it reaches mid speed i would say then it rips lol
it feels like theres a massive turbo lag when you nail the throttle from stand still.
just confused
Old 09-16-2009, 08:12 AM   #6
Tech Initiate

It doesn't sound like your clutch is slipping. It sounds like it is engaging too soon. Try lighter shoes or heavier springs and see what that is like.
aFito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:13 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by khudzik View Post
My biggest dislike of aluminum shoes is how they leave grooves in the clutch bell. It's almost like you need to change out the clutch bell every time you change shoes.
Sand paper, bud or dremel - lightly - I have used the same HD clutch bell for ever
Old 09-16-2009, 08:15 AM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to smb17

What shoes and springs are you running?
Old 09-16-2009, 08:45 AM   #9
Tech Adept

running the Answer complete alloy clutch set. not sure which springs im using may be 1.0 ones.
think the were bent when they were installed, the tips were sticking out and now they are worn at the tip. dont know if that has any thing to do with the problem.

thanks for the input btw
Old 09-16-2009, 09:10 AM   #10
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by khudzik View Post
All Alum set-up can wear on the bell...but Steel VS Alum...the steel will win EVERY time.....you can overheat the shoes and they slag out leaving Massive amounts of Alum on the bell...but if you have the proper stall and shoe compound the alum should never build up slag and the bell should always be the same I.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonda View Post
well im running the alum shoes and i have no bottom end the motor doesnt come alive until it reaches mid speed i would say then it rips lol
it feels like theres a massive turbo lag when you nail the throttle from stand still.
just confused

what motor ?...i think you dont have enough stall on the shoes to get the clutch going before the motor can take over therefor causing the low end bog you are feeling....are you sure your clutch is in good working order? a boggy clutch normally means its on the way out the door.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Old 09-16-2009, 09:15 AM   #11
Tech Lord

Quote:
running the Answer complete alloy clutch set. not sure which springs im using may be 1.0 ones.
think the were bent when they were installed, the tips were sticking out and now they are worn at the tip. dont know if that has any thing to do with the problem.

thanks for the input btw

the spring's are sticking through the shoes ?
Old 09-16-2009, 09:32 AM   #12
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
the spring's are sticking through the shoes ?
they were sticking through the shoes yes, but after a few tanks of fuel the tips have worn down so they are now flush with the shoe.

I guess i shoud get some new shoes and go up to 1.1 springs and get LHS to fit them for me. I dont think I did a good job fitting my first clutch lol

p.s im running a GO 5 port gen 4 with 5.5 carb.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:36 AM   #13
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

IIRC Answer had some spring thing you had to do on the early sets with one spring type, the Answer thread should have something
JayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:48 AM   #14
Tech Lord

Quote:
they were sticking through the shoes yes, but after a few tanks of fuel the tips have worn down so they are now flush with the shoe.

I guess i shoud get some new shoes and go up to 1.1 springs and get LHS to fit them for me. I dont think I did a good job fitting my first clutch lol

p.s im running a GO 5 port gen 4 with 5.5 carb.

umm spring's are Not supposed to touch or come anywhere near the bell...i would make sure the new spring's you put on are far enough below the shoes that they will not come into contact with the bell....Steel on Steel= Failed clutch REAL fast.

Up that restrictor to 6 or 7...there's no need to limit the power down to 5.5 on a .21 unless your on an OVERLY slick track condition and Dont need all the power.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:49 AM   #15
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayL View Post
IIRC Answer had some spring thing you had to do on the early sets with one spring type, the Answer thread should have something

shave the spring's down so they don't contact the bell ?....i could have sworn i read something along those line's...but not sure....i don't run Answer shoes or anything of there's currently.