R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-16-2009, 01:39 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Can't deside need help

I'm in the market for a new nitro r/c. I've haven't had an R/C for a couple of years now and need your help with picking the right R/C. I've been looking at the Koyosho Inferno ST US Sport and the Traxxas Jato 3.3. Can you please tell me the pros and cons with both R/C's or put me in the direction of another R/C. I'm stationed in Okinawa Japan so I'm limited to one r/c shop they have a Inferno ST US there but they don't sell Traxxas. Ordering one isn't a problem though. I'm only interested in an offroad or hybrid r/c like the Jato. So if could please send me in the right direction that would be awesome, thanks.
Beags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:40 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to boomgagem

Well, with the jato you would have to do a few things to it to make it off road capable. Does your LHS carry traxxas parts? I would get something that you can find parts for at your LHS. And if you're offroading, I would get a Monster Truck
boomgagem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:20 AM   #3
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I started with a kyosho us sports truggy about 3 yrs ago. my wife bought it for me for Christmas. It was my 1st gas RC. I had had electric cars for 20 years. All I can say is I replaced damm near everything on that truck and it was alywas broken. Parts support in my area is non existent. The truck ran great. But just to change the wheels and tires I hadto change the hubs because it came with 13 mm hubs and all the truggy wheels are 17mm. It's still sitting in my garage with a new body on it. All it needs is an engine and ring and pinion. I run losi now and nowhere near the issues.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 07:34 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Jato is not made for off road. Are you planning to race? Is money a concern? Your in Japan, so I would think that you can get a wide varity of off road RC there. Do you want to build a kit, if so the HotBodies truggy is a good buy. Are you just looking for a RTR (ready to run)? If you are just wanting to buy something that you Local Shop has parts for then stick to what they carry. If you are going to order stuff then the world of RC is open to you.

I think that we (people on this forum) could set you up with a RC from $500 to $2000 depending on what you want to do with it and how far you want to go.

+1 Losi - Losi RTR is the best deal on the planet even if you need to order it
Old 09-16-2009, 07:51 AM   #5
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Your IN Japan...there's Only one answer for ya....Mooogen....Great car's and you have ALL the support you could ask for at the Local track.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 07:54 AM   #6
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (86%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by token View Post
Your in Japan, so I would think that you can get a wide varity of off road RC there.
He is on an Island of Japan (Not the main land of Japan) a small 70 mile long island. I was stationed there also at Kadena Air Base. So I know there is not much on the island.

Beags it really depends what you are going to do with it. I know when I was there. There was on road racing outside Gate #3 (Kadena) at the tennis courses. I never knew of any dirt tracks.

I would get something that I could get parts for at the hobby store there. There is nothing worst then having to wait 2-3 weeks to order something in from the US. I had an HPI car when I was there and I had to order parts from Tower Hobbies and other...

What base you stationed at??? I wish I was still there...
Nitro Extreme Raceway Phenix City Alabama
www.nitroextremeraceway.com
datracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:11 AM   #7
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by datracing View Post
He is on an Island of Japan (Not the main land of Japan) a small 70 mile long island. I was stationed there also at Kadena Air Base. So I know there is not much on the island.

Beags it really depends what you are going to do with it. I know when I was there. There was on road racing outside Gate #3 (Kadena) at the tennis courses. I never knew of any dirt tracks.

I would get something that I could get parts for at the hobby store there. There is nothing worst then having to wait 2-3 weeks to order something in from the US. I had an HPI car when I was there and I had to order parts from Tower Hobbies and other...

What base you stationed at??? I wish I was still there...

after googling "Okinawa Japan RC" i found that there isn't much.....so My bad....But still to order from the mainland to the island wouldn't be a bad idea....at least you could get something aside from a Jato.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Old 09-17-2009, 12:06 AM   #8
Tech Rookie

Hey datracing I'm station at Kadena and as you know the ability to get pretty much anything is difficult here. I appreciate ya'll help with this. I do want an RTR and I'm going to be getting a T-MAXX from a friend from the states. Unfortunately like I said before the only R/C shop that I know of here doesn't sell Traxxas and they laughed about it when I asked them about traxxas, like it is junk. I think its only because its American made, but they do sell HPI so I don't know. I'm probably not going to get in to racing and am looking more for a basher. I've also been looking at the HPI 5b or 5t 1/5 scale r/c's. So if ya'll have anymore suggestions that would be great.
Beags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:15 AM   #9
Tech Master

I think the T-Maxx would be a good first truck, it's an older platform, but it wrote the book on MT's. There is a TON of aftermarket for it, and parts are available everywhere on the internet.

The 5B is a totally different animal, I''ve never driven one, but I already know it would be a blast
Old 09-17-2009, 06:42 AM   #10
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomgagem View Post
I think the T-Maxx would be a good first truck, it's an older platform, but it wrote the book on MT's. There is a TON of aftermarket for it, and parts are available everywhere on the internet.

The 5B is a totally different animal, I''ve never driven one, but I already know it would be a blast

a T-maxx....are you Kidding
Old 09-17-2009, 07:38 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
a T-maxx....are you Kidding
+1
Old 09-17-2009, 07:46 AM   #12
Tech Master

Well, since the guy said he's going to be getting a T-Maxx, no I'm not.

What is wrong with a T-Maxx for a first truck? The same thing thats wrong with you telling Beerz to seal his first nitro engine. You should see the problem he's having getting 1 tank through.

Some of you vets need to understand that not everyone needs or wants a high dollar kit.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:16 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I was in Okinawa from 03-04 so I know what you're going through. Is the R/C outside of Futenma still there? I dont remember any other shops out there but that may have changed.

I thought they carried Tamiya, Mugen, and Kyosho but I could be wrong. If there is any chance that you may start racing (or better yet, get something organized on base), I'd skip Traxxas and look into a more competitive kit. We did some nitro touring car racing over there that was sort of ran by that hobby shop.
Kyosho RB6 | Viper VTX10r/Reedy Mach 3 9.5 | Hitec 7940
Schumacher SX3 Pro | Viper VTX10r/Reedy Mach 2 8.5 | Hitec 7940
madweazl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:18 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomgagem View Post
Well, since the guy said he's going to be getting a T-Maxx, no I'm not.

What is wrong with a T-Maxx for a first truck? The same thing thats wrong with you telling Beerz to seal his first nitro engine. You should see the problem he's having getting 1 tank through.

Some of you vets need to understand that not everyone needs or wants a high dollar kit.
Yes I understand, but there are WAY better first nitros than a TMAXX
Old 09-17-2009, 08:33 AM   #15
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

With the info laid out above, I would not get the T-Maxx unless its being given to you for free. Here's why, you can't get parts local and it takes 3 weeks to get parts. That will simply not do for a Traxxas T-Maxx, these are notorious for being easily broken, especially if you are a rookie driver. The only way that may work would be to get the T-Maxx from your friend and buy a second T-Maxx for parts. Then you could swap a part as needed and order when to replace it.

I would personally stick to whatever is available locally, but ONLY IF the local shop has an ample supply of parts and have been in business for a while. Otherwise I would just buy whatever my heart desired and deal with the frustrations of possibly being down for long periods of time.

If you are just bashing and just starting out in RC, I highly recommend you buy a HPI Savage K4.6 RTR, its a very durable, big truck with great support on the internet: hpisavageforum . These guys would be willing to help you out and send you parts as needed and probably for free, especially if you are in the service.

And speaking of that, being a US Marine myself, I assume that you are USMC being that you are in Oki? I never went there due to being deployed with the 22nd Marine Expeditionary Unit over in the Med Sea. But I had a lot of fellow devil dog friends who went there and they loved it for some odd reason that I could not understand. So if you are indeed a Marine, Oooo Rahhhh Devil Dog, thanks for your service. If not, I'm sorry you joined a lesser branch of the service!
Matt Chester is offline   Reply With Quote