R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-17-2009, 08:37 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Chester View Post
With the info laid out above, I would not get the T-Maxx unless its being given to you for free. Here's why, you can't get parts local and it takes 3 weeks to get parts. That will simply not do for a Traxxas T-Maxx, these are notorious for being easily broken, especially if you are a rookie driver. The only way that may work would be to get the T-Maxx from your friend and buy a second T-Maxx for parts. Then you could swap a part as needed and order when to replace it.

I would personally stick to whatever is available locally, but ONLY IF the local shop has an ample supply of parts and have been in business for a while. Otherwise I would just buy whatever my heart desired and deal with the frustrations of possibly being down for long periods of time.

If you are just bashing and just starting out in RC, I highly recommend you buy a HPI Savage K4.6 RTR, its a very durable, big truck with great support on the internet: hpisavageforum . These guys would be willing to help you out and send you parts as needed and probably for free, especially if you are in the service.

And speaking of that, being a US Marine myself, I assume that you are USMC being that you are in Oki? I never went there due to being deployed with the 22nd Marine Expeditionary Unit over in the Med Sea. But I had a lot of fellow devil dog friends who went there and they loved it for some odd reason that I could not understand. So if you are indeed a Marine, Oooo Rahhhh Devil Dog, thanks for your service. If not, I'm sorry you joined a lesser branch of the service!
Kadena is the Air Force base over there. X-hobby (provided it's still there) has been around a long time.
Kyosho RB6 | Viper VTX10r/Reedy Mach 3 9.5 | Hitec 7940
Schumacher SX3 Pro | Viper VTX10r/Reedy Mach 2 8.5 | Hitec 7940
madweazl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:46 AM   #17
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madweazl View Post
Kadena is the Air Force base over there. X-hobby (provided it's still there) has been around a long time.
Gotcha, that rings a bell now that you say that. Is the Marine base and Air Force base on the same island?
Matt Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:59 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Chester View Post
Gotcha, that rings a bell now that you say that. Is the Marine base and Air Force base on the same island?
All services have a base on Okinawa. I think there are 7 Marine bases; Foster, Futenma, Schwab, Foster, Courtney, Hansen, Lester, and Kinser.
Kyosho RB6 | Viper VTX10r/Reedy Mach 3 9.5 | Hitec 7940
Schumacher SX3 Pro | Viper VTX10r/Reedy Mach 2 8.5 | Hitec 7940
madweazl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:12 AM   #19
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madweazl View Post
All services have a base on Okinawa. I think there are 7 Marine bases; Foster, Futenma, Schwab, Foster, Courtney, Hansen, Lester, and Kinser.
Ah ha! You think I would know that.

Hey, check the Losi 8 2.0 thread in this forum, I responded to a comment of yours but don't want to further hi jack this thread.
Matt Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 02:38 AM   #20
Tech Rookie

Thanks guys for all the help. I am getting the T-Maxx for free I think its a 2.5 and its only had 1 tank of gas through it, just for breaking it in. They do sell HPI here so what do you think of the Savage 5.9. I'm also concerned with the heat here, do ya'll know if anyone sells a liquid cooled nitro engines or if a regular nitro engine would have a problem here. If you don't know it usually runs about 85 to 90 degrees with 90% humidity here. I am in the service. I'm in the Air Force and with it being a lesser service, I was going to join the Marines but, I couldn't fit my damn head in that jar know matter how hard I tried. Seeing that's all you have to be able to do to get in the Marines, they wouldn't take me because your not a true jar head/Marine if you can't get your head in the jar. LOL Just playin
Beags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:14 PM   #21
Tech Rookie

Wink

I've been following this thread and I'm curious about yays and nays on the HPI Savage 5.9 RTR also. I can't decide between that and the XTM MT. I'm all ears.
expo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:18 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by expo View Post
I've been following this thread and I'm curious about yays and nays on the HPI Savage 5.9 RTR also. I can't decide between that and the XTM MT. I'm all ears.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/monster-trucks-46/