R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-15-2009, 06:09 PM   #16
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
Frank do you "store" your packs...or re-peak and leave them till the next race day ?
As long as the packs are in the 15 volt range I leave them until the next time I use them. I always re-peak them the night before a race. I find that a fully charged lipo pack that sits for 4 weeks does not take very much to get it back to full power, maybe 5 mins on the charger, mostly I think its balancing the cels.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 06:38 PM   #17
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by khudzik View Post
Been trying to find if anyone ever actually wired a low voltage cutoff into a starter box. So far couldn't find anything except for opinions that you probably don't need it. So I guess the question still stands, has anyone ever done it? If so, could you post a wiring diagram? Thanks.
Dude, that' awesome, LiPo's in a starter box i just always run a 20' 12-2 uf wire w/ alligator clips and a gel cell
xBRxSAIGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:24 PM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I was breaking in a new motor today and the ole nicads just aren't cutting it anymore. I had to recharge them twice before I ever got the new engine to fire up. The tight pinch was sucking the juice out of them. So now I got me a new Lipo on the way. Can't wait to change these packs out.
pickle311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:36 PM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickle311 View Post
I was breaking in a new motor today and the ole nicads just aren't cutting it anymore. I had to recharge them twice before I ever got the new engine to fire up. The tight pinch was sucking the juice out of them. So now I got me a new Lipo on the way. Can't wait to change these packs out.
Whoa... hold on here. If those batteries aren't bad, that means you're going to be putting a huge load on the lipos. That's one thing nicad and nimh cells are very good at -- taking abuse and just warming up. Tread carefully here as, in my opinion, swapping lipos into a situation where an abnormally large current draw is taking place is just asking for a failure.

How hot were the nicads? The only time my nicads weren't able to turn a motor over it was flooded with fuel and popping the plug out and turning it over fixed the problem.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:32 AM   #20
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Dont sit there and stall the wheel on the flywheel or a Hydro locked motor and you'll be fine....lipo's only fail when the User Does something to cause it....they don't just magically fail on their own.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 07:54 AM   #21
Tech Adept

Quote:
....lipo's only fail when the User Does something to cause it....they don't just magically fail on their own.
+1 on that one, my buddy was trying to start a stubborn GRP .28 for the first time just the other day. Got pissed off and decided he was going to win no matter what. The result's this, he did start the engine but ended up with a perfectly puffed up Losi starter box LiPo pack.
He kinda got pissed at himself after that.
khudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:59 AM   #22
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
+1 on that one, my buddy was trying to start a stubborn GRP .28 for the first time just the other day. Got pissed off and decided he was going to win no matter what. The result's this, he did start the engine but ended up with a perfectly puffed up Losi starter box LiPo pack.
And that's why I think lipo in the starter box isn't the brightest idea. It's too easy to generate a crazy load unintentionally. NICD is so much more robust -- the pack would have just heated up a little, not destroyed itself. By the time you realize what's going on, the motor is already stopped and the battery is already under crazy load. Just seems like asking for trouble to me.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:07 AM   #23
Tech Lord

Quote:

next time tell him to go with a HK lipo's....1/2 the price...and they ARE the same packs as the expensive brands out there.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Old 09-16-2009, 12:16 PM   #24
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

and with HK packs you can go with 30C lipo and still be cheap.

I have 2 2650 30C(burst) in mine and when I need mor juice I just connect both in parallell.. more than enough power
devilchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:37 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Lipo cutoff:

Cuts right through lipos! Only 19.99!

You don't need a cutoff for a starter box. just get a zippy 4s 5000mah battery, you won't wear that down for a while.

Chances are those nicads are bad amd your motors are fine. They tend to get weak when they are discharged just a little at a time. nicads + starter box = broken

Last edited by Zerodefect; 09-16-2009 at 02:28 PM.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:38 PM   #26
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerodefect View Post
Lipo cutoff:

Cuts right through lipos! Only 19.99!

You don't need a cutoff for a starter box. just get a zippy 4s 5000mah battery, you won't wear that down for a while.

Chances are those nicads are bad amd your motors are fine. They tend to get weak when they are discharged just a little at a time. nicads + starter box = broken

ive never seen a paper cutter like that for 20$....WHERE ?
Old 09-16-2009, 06:15 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Quote:
ive never seen a paper cutter like that for 20$....WHERE ?
Thats because its not a paper cutter, Its a Lipo cutter! Special time offer!

Got a stick pack 2s 5000 mah lipo and need a saddle pack for your 4wd? Schwing! Lipo cutter!

And if you act now you even get a Free Exergen temp gauge calibration tool!!11!!!:
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:33 PM   #28
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerodefect View Post
Thats because its not a paper cutter, Its a Lipo cutter! Special time offer!

Got a stick pack 2s 5000 mah lipo and need a saddle pack for your 4wd? Schwing! Lipo cutter!

And if you act now you even get a Free Exergen temp gauge calibration tool!!11!!!:

i was being serious...i need a paper cutter for 20$.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:35 PM   #29
Tech Addict

I never got my lipo cut-off from ZERODEFECT let alone the free exergen calibration tool, its been almost 3 hours since I paid him thru PAYPAL.Should have been here already.
Joey Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:45 PM   #30
Tech Adept
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

What about putting a fuse in-line?

Why wouldn't that work to prevent puffage?
McFly505 is offline   Reply With Quote