R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-15-2009, 06:32 PM   #31
Tech Master

I think the posting forum is good the way it is but the search function sucks beyond beliefe. I have learned how to word/cheat the search function fairly well from using it more than most but for a first timer it is almost useless. I still recomend it be used but to be honest it is easier to go back 8 or 10 pages in the threads to search wich is what I did to learn how to make the search function work for me.

Perfect example is looking for gear bag advice. there has been 5 or 6 of those threads started in the last 3 month but unless you spend time & get creative you get 1 result. I dont agree with lazy people starting the same threads over & over but thats how its gonna be till its easier for a new guy to use search.

Other than that the way its organized or lumped together now is good.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:32 PM   #32
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Not all of us live on a PC.
True...but you need not live on a PC to get really good at search...be it here or anywhere.

Think outside the box with your search terms and phrasing...you'll be amazed at what you can discover quickly.

In impromptu search classes I've held...I encourage students to think like anyone but themselves...like a child...like a person who's first language is not their own.....like a gender opposite...you get the idea.

An individual who takes the time to become great at search....literally owns the web.
cordarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 06:45 PM   #33
Tech Adept

Holy cow...There is a "search class" out there (for forums)? I honestly believe I need to take one of those.

But this post proves exactly what I was getting at and I am the culprit this time. It really holds no value to the OP. Sorry, but point proven.
1day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:15 PM   #34
Tech Addict

Not necessarily for forums...but search in general. You can learn to command major engines....when you do...these rudimentary forum engines are a cakewalk.

You'll know when you're getting good...you'll bypass the junk forum engines...your google search will return the information...FROM the forum you're addressing...

Great stuff...and easy to learn.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:19 PM   #35
Tech Addict

I have...and will continue to maintain...that the best slurp spider is the human brain.