R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Loctite an engines head and backplate? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/327660-loctite-engines-head-backplate.html)

WingWrecker 09-14-2009 06:25 PM

Loctite an engines head and backplate?

Too late, I already did it before I had someone tell me 'NO!'...

So, why not?

losi_racer 09-14-2009 06:30 PM

what engine? youll just have a really really really good chance of stripping the bolts

imaxx21 09-14-2009 06:32 PM

you want those screws to come out when they need to takin out...

WingWrecker 09-14-2009 06:37 PM

Shite. It's the Losi 350. I used blue loctite.

LordAnubis 09-14-2009 07:04 PM

The engine case that the head screws screw into gets hot anyway... and incase you don't know, loctite basically melts with heat... I figure loctiting anythign that bolts into the engine is useless because the loctite will burn away... If you see some smoke coming off your engine on start up... don't be alarmed.. it'll be your loctite burning off...

WingWrecker 09-14-2009 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by LordAnubis (Post 6345455)
The engine case that the head screws screw into gets hot anyway... and incase you don't know, loctite basically melts with heat... I figure loctiting anythign that bolts into the engine is useless because the loctite will burn away... If you see some smoke coming off your engine on start up... don't be alarmed.. it'll be your loctite burning off...

I got the same info on another thread, thanks. This eases my mind a bit. :sweat:

cheapskate.brok 09-14-2009 09:50 PM

I've applied some loctite to the flywheel nut and there was a bluish/purple goo all over it after 4 tanks running.

Lille-bror 09-15-2009 03:03 AM

If you have problem with loose screws, you can tighten them a little more, when the engine is warm.

Cheers :)

FlyinHigh 09-15-2009 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by LordAnubis (Post 6345455)

Yup :nod::nod::nod::nod: it's no use to loctite anything that gets hot :D:D

Madbrad 09-15-2009 03:58 PM

Wouldnt blue be okay ? red is the stuff that you put on when you dont have any plans of ever takig it off right? Its not like your takening your head and back plate off every weekend any way.

WingWrecker 09-15-2009 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Madbrad (Post 6349750)
Wouldnt blue be okay ? red is the stuff that you put on when you dont have any plans of ever takig it off right? Its not like your takening your head and back plate off every weekend any way.

The general consensus is that loctite on any part that gets hot is useless anyways as it will degrade and no longer loc-tite.

butch man 09-15-2009 06:15 PM

It still works good for a while in many HOT aplications like the adjusting nut on my oddball clutch. The red wont turn back to liquid it will just be a little softer/gooyer than blue. If you want perma hold on hot parts use the green that is suppose to be applied after nut insallation, during the install.The green has to hit above 300deg to debond.I would not recomend that stuff unless your sure about what your doing.

For a flywheel collet a brass one with no locktite will work better than a steel collet with locktite.Never had a problem with propperly torqued head backplate bolts though,not even the Nove slotted ones.