Community
Wiki Posts
Search

some newbie questions help a brother

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 04:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default some newbie questions help a brother

Im building my first kit. Have a few questions.

1. I have a nova n21bf and a dynamite 086hs pipe. The pipe has 2 holes on each side for springs and the motor just has 1 hole on each side. Is that just for adjustment purpose or am I supposed to use 2 springs. Which springs are good to use?

2. I bought a dx3s. I have a d8 kit and am wondering if I should use the AA batteries for the rx or get a hump pack. Any suggestions on the best to use for a d8? When using a hump pack do I need a special charger? I have a charger for 7.2 nicd that says it will charge nimh. I would just need the different connections I think. My servos are hitec hs 7965 and 7985 im not sure if that makes a difference.

3. I got an ofna starter box with 2 motors. It says I can use 2 six cell bat packs and I have 2 1500 mah packs but I am concerned that wont last long on a charge. Should I get the 12v battery? If I get the 12v battery it needs to be recharged also correct? Maybe there is a charger to handle all my needs.

4. My lhs has medium fuel tubing, is that standard?

I know this is alot of newb stuff but I dont want to buy the wrong thing and have to spend even more money. This is def dif from firing up my rtr thanks guys
Old 09-14-2009, 05:02 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Falcon422

1. I have a nova n21bf and a dynamite 086hs pipe. The pipe has 2 holes on each side for springs and the motor just has 1 hole on each side. Is that just for adjustment purpose or am I supposed to use 2 springs. Which springs are good to use?

2. I bought a dx3s. I have a d8 kit and am wondering if I should use the AA batteries for the rx or get a hump pack. Any suggestions on the best to use for a d8? When using a hump pack do I need a special charger? I have a charger for 7.2 nicd that says it will charge nimh. I would just need the different connections I think. My servos are hitec hs 7965 and 7985 im not sure if that makes a difference.

3. I got an ofna starter box with 2 motors. It says I can use 2 six cell bat packs and I have 2 1500 mah packs but I am concerned that wont last long on a charge. Should I get the 12v battery? If I get the 12v battery it needs to be recharged also correct? Maybe there is a charger to handle all my needs.

I know this is alot of newb stuff but I dont want to buy the wrong thing and have to spend even more money. This is def dif from firing up my rtr thanks guys
1. Use 2 wrap around springs. The spring will hook to the header then rap around the block back to the header pipe. Ofan makes some good header pipe springs.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXNS91&P=SM
2. Use a rx hump pack, i use a nimh battery 1700 mah. I have 3 i use throught out the day.
3. Get the 12v battery
4. Medium is pretty most the standard for tubing.

Tyler

Last edited by Gearhead racer; 09-14-2009 at 06:13 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

1.it just has 1 set of holes ...and your pipe has 2 ...some motors have 2 sets of holes yours just doesnt ...dont know if you would wanna run 2 springs in 1 set of holes ...any are good as long as there for 8th scale exausts
2.the orion hump packs are good 1600mah 5 cells and you should be able to charge it on your charger and get another connector and yes those servos will draw some juice ..the more mah you can get the better ....i think stick man rc makes some wicked 2700 packs
3.run a 12volt battery ...some come packaged with a wall charger ..or you can buy a wall charger for 12 bucks ...they charge low and slow
4.yes
Old 09-14-2009, 05:13 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by zixxer
1.it just has 1 set of holes ...and your pipe has 2 ...some motors have 2 sets of holes yours just doesnt ...dont know if you would wanna run 2 springs in 1 set of holes ...any are good as long as there for 8th scale exausts
2.the orion hump packs are good 1600mah 5 cells and you should be able to charge it on your charger and get another connector and yes those servos will draw some juice ..the more mah you can get the better ....i think stick man rc makes some wicked 2700 packs
3.run a 12volt battery ...some come packaged with a wall charger ..or you can buy a wall charger for 12 bucks ...they charge low and slow
4.yes
Love my orion humpack!
Old 09-14-2009, 05:17 PM
Tech Apprentice

gearhead- you are saying the wholes in the moter dont matter bc the spring goes all the way around and come back to the header correct?

Thanks for the reply
Old 09-14-2009, 05:32 PM
Tech Champion

I use 2 long wrap around style springs. I use 2 because alot of racers DNF a race because their spring breaks. Nice taste in engines.

Get a NIHM pack. In the future, as your servos die, get a 7955. With your radio and 7955's you can run a lipo RX pack unregulated and take alot of weight off your car.

I hate 12volt gell cells!!!1!!! Go to hobbycity.com and pickup a smaller 4s zippy lipo pack or two 4000 mah 2s Zippy hardcase packs. If your ready for 1/8th scale your ready for a real charger. I recommend a Hyperion 6060 or 6010 from amain or maxamps. don't forget to pick up an Alighn/Jst-xh balence adapter

Dubro #2235, best fuel line ever

jkljkljlkjklkljlklkjlk
Old 09-14-2009, 05:34 PM
Tech Champion

gearhead- you are saying the wholes in the moter dont matter bc the spring goes all the way around and come back to the header correct?

Thanks for the reply
There is some mythical spring that fits from the header to those little spring mount thingys on Nova and RB mills. I've never been able to get my hands on two. So I just use wrap arounds.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:49 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the reply
Yep! My picco has the same thing as your nova, i use two springs on my .o86 dyn hs pipe. I found the two short springs my picco came with do not work well with my dyn. pipe and the 2 spring setup is much better. The springs may strech just little(they did on mine becouse the crank case on my Evo 3 is huge!) pending on how big your crank case(aka.. engine block), if they do dont worry!
Old 09-14-2009, 05:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

thanks for reply zero i will check those things out
Old 09-14-2009, 05:59 PM
Tech Elite

Yup