R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-14-2009, 02:21 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default V-Spec Pro Mod or Reedy 121vr?

I'm between these two for my next motor. I was considering the standard v-spec but have read about the crank pin wear so that's how I got to the pro-mod which includes the hardened crank.

My question is if the V-spec is worth the extra $150? I've heard that the Reedy lacks some top end (from engine modders so take it with a grain). It's going in my RC8T so some extra grunt would be nice. Maifiled seems to do well with the Reedy in his Trug but do we know if his isn't modded? I've heard talk of a 'gold head' reedy that may be on the way too..

So what should I do? I'm planning to get this motor for next season so I have some time. Anything else I should consider in the $300-$400 range?
HiVoltg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:24 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I would go with the Vspec, i ve seen a lot of those first hand in truggys and none ever lack from tpower down low.

Another option is the JPX .21 modded. People on this forum swear by this motor and say they will never run anything else in a truggy. my current motor will not die so I have not yet purchased my JPX .21 yet. But thats my next truggy motor.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:37 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

$300-400 range... ninja JX 21 BO1A no doubt. motor absolutely rips
quicklosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:47 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to JoeyTheRocket Send a message via Yahoo to JoeyTheRocket

I love my Reedy! Supper smooth, no other motor can compare to how smooth the Reedy is. The only thing is the OS motors are easy to tune, the Reedy is very touchy until you learn it. Also don't be alarmed by how the Reedy sounds at top end. Its doesn't have that high pitched sound but moves just as good as the others. If your a good tuner and you want to save some money try the Reedy out.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:59 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Another good choice would be a ninja with EB mod button.
071crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 03:02 PM   #6
Tech Regular

What about a Nova toro Nero, 7 port and a monster. even a +4 if you run tech tight tracks.
Euro Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 04:46 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

if I had to choose I'd get the vspec..and the standard vspec doesn't wear out like that as long as you treat it well it'll treat you well. I have seen a couple of reedy engines and they don't seem slow at all but I still prefer the vspec because of the ease of tune and the performance I get throughout the powerband. and if you're looking for modded engine buy a stock vspec and send it out to Brian Carey of PTM he has a special going on right now $65 for full mod so for $365 you'll have an even more powerful vspec that will out run any motor.
NitroLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:23 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiVoltg12 View Post
I'm between these two for my next motor. I was considering the standard v-spec but have read about the crank pin wear so that's how I got to the pro-mod which includes the hardened crank.

My question is if the V-spec is worth the extra $150? I've heard that the Reedy lacks some top end (from engine modders so take it with a grain). It's going in my RC8T so some extra grunt would be nice. Maifiled seems to do well with the Reedy in his Trug but do we know if his isn't modded? I've heard talk of a 'gold head' reedy that may be on the way too..

So what should I do? I'm planning to get this motor for next season so I have some time. Anything else I should consider in the $300-$400 range?

I will actually answer your question. IMO It is NOT worth the extra money for the VSPEC. Don't just think about just this one engine purchase, add up the dollars for the next few motors if you get the Reedy. Adds up and they perform similiar from what I have seen. VSEC is always a good choice, but the cost is not justified.

I am talking stock, not modded and head buttons and all that...you don't need it for either engine. All the modded motors I have seen do not last long and are trouble. Again, just my .02
SPEEDSKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:31 PM   #9
Tech Elite

the crank on my stock vspec had more slop then a pig pen after 5 gallons. Piston and sleeve still good though. Go figure.

I have a ninja now. It's much smoother then the vspec, easier to drive and rips like no tomorrow.

Oh. the crank never wears. just replace rod and bearings every few gallons and should last a very long time.

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:36 PM   #10
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 163 (100%+)

i would go with the vspec promod, or the ninja jx, i have seen a few reedy's in person some have worked well and others seemed to really be a hard engine to tune
cjm1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:44 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm a os fan, but will run anything if it performs well. If you are considering the vspec pro mod my opinion is save your money and buy the jx ninja. It's an os and it's a far better motor than the vspec. As for the reedy, what I've seen personally it's a joke. Buy the reedy if you race on a track that has straights no longer than 15 feet. The 150 dollar nova n21b will walk all over reedy. When i see an engine perform no matter what brand, i will use it if it works well. Case in point, definately wouldn't mind owning a nova fms 21-7, but you couldn't pay me to run that weak ass toro nero. Not trying to anger anybody, the proof is on the track. Sit back and observe what runs.
Answer-RC/TLR/Futaba
Snow Monkey Racing
hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:20 PM   #12
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'd say OS or Ninja too man. They tune so easy and pretty much run no matter what. I have 10 gallons on my VZB and about 8 on my other VZB. Never had any problems and im running all stock. Both have the original p/s, changed rod after break-in and threw in ceramic bearings. Yeah they are a bit high priced, but in the long run you'll get your money worth. Im sure a lot of guys could 2nd that. Im actually thinking about a ninja for my next mill as well or a os speed. That ninja has my eye. They honestly do rip and for $330-350 it's worth it.

Good luck with your choice and let us know what you end up with.
GRP 2053, RE10, RE11, NOVA9901
DX3S/M11x
j8ight13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:33 AM   #13
Tech Elite

To answer your question I will go with the Vspec over they Reedy - i have both and they vspec is has more
Old 09-15-2009, 07:45 AM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by j8ight13 View Post
I'd say OS or Ninja too man. They tune so easy and pretty much run no matter what. I have 10 gallons on my VZB and about 8 on my other VZB. Never had any problems and im running all stock. Both have the original p/s, changed rod after break-in and threw in ceramic bearings. Yeah they are a bit high priced, but in the long run you'll get your money worth. Im sure a lot of guys could 2nd that. Im actually thinking about a ninja for my next mill as well or a os speed. That ninja has my eye. They honestly do rip and for $330-350 it's worth it.

Good luck with your choice and let us know what you end up with.
+1
Check us out on Facebook
Mr. Twister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:18 AM   #15
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I agree go with the os vspec or the ninja both are execellent engines. The reedy engine is very touchy. I talked to a guy at my local track and he sId his reedy engine either runs at 280 or is richens up and dies if he touches the needle. The reedy engine is very touchy. The os engines are easy to tune and as long as you get it close it works well. Alittle rich or lean it still gets you through the main. Great engine. Go for the vspec or ninja if you want a little more power.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote