R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-13-2009, 09:44 AM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 91 (98%+)
Send a message via AIM to Outtacontrol58
Talking Air compressor for Nitro Use, which one???

Hey,
I am looking at buying a used air compressor to thoroughly clean my offroad vehicles ..... I want one for cheap but dont want to get an underpowered one and waste money. Is a 100psi 2 gal air compressor good enough, or should i go with a 2 HP, 4 Gallon, 115 PSI Twin Tank Air Compressor. The first one is made by Husky and the bigger one is made by Central Pneumatic. Let me know what you think. THANKS
Outtacontrol58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:12 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Three things to consider...

1. The smaller the tank is, the faster it will drop pressure as you're blowing your car off, which means it will cycle on and off more.
2. The CFM of the compressor needs to be as high as you can get to make up for the small tank issue in #1.
3. Are you running a generator at the track? Make sure you size the compressor properly and don't overload your generator when adding this load to everything else that is running (fans, chargers, radio, beer fridge, etc...)

I personally have a Campbell Hausfeld 2 gal. that I take to the track. I really like the small size, but the compressor that's on it takes FOREVER to pump up the tank. I'd recommend it, but not very strongly.

Whichever one you're looking at, just get the highest performance one in the physical size you're considering. If size and power draw isn't an issue, I'd go for the larger of the two that you listed.
Stubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:20 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

The compressors with the bigger tanks are the better buy. The ones with the small tanks run out of air pretty quickly and you end up waiting around for the compressor to catch up with you, or having to settle with whatever volume of air the compressor can pump, which is usually not that much. I've had almost every type and I ended up landing on a portable unit with a 30 gallon tank. It's not very portable, but I leave it in my garage and use it to clean cars at home. Don't waste your money on a small unit that you can take to the track - they will all disappoint you. They're only made to power air nailers and various other tools that don't use a high volume of air. An open air nozzle drains a lot of air fast, and unless you want to just get it somewhat clean, the small compressors won't get it done.

I chose this one below because it's got cast iron cylinders so it operates very quietly. It's also very durable and I've had it for 10 years without a single problem.

Here's a link to the one I bought. It's not cheap, but it's money well spent. I would have thrown away any one of the small portables long ago, and the oil-less compressor heads are insanely noisy and don't last long.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...8718000P?mv=rr
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:33 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 91 (98%+)
Send a message via AIM to Outtacontrol58
Default Kool!

Very cool, i dont need a monster but i think i will end up going with the 4gal compressor it seems it will do what i need it for without having to wait too too long for it to fill up. Thanks
Outtacontrol58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:44 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

We have a little CH hotdog at the track and it works fine for blowing off cars, it has no problem keeping up even with 6 or 7 guys using it, were just blowing dirt off not airing tires up all night.
In fact I have used an air tank with 125psi of air and a small blow tube and it has lasted all night of racing, so buy what your buget will allow

Something like this
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...criptionAnchor
Ovaloldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 05:51 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

My buddy and I use this compressor and it works great no problem at all we run it on a 3500 wait gen and we done have anyproblem pushing it and all of our chargers and fans.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...5310000P?mv=rr

Team Associated B4.1 reedy 8.5, R10 Pro
Team Associated T4.1 OHP 17.5, Tekin RS
Team Associated B44.1 reedy 6.5, R10 Pro
smittyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 06:18 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyusmc View Post
My buddy and I use this compressor and it works great no problem at all we run it on a 3500 wait gen and we done have anyproblem pushing it and all of our chargers and fans.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...5310000P?mv=rr
Yep, that's the one I was looking at besides the Campbell Hausfeld, but it didn' have that nice $40 dscount at the time.

Hindsight being 20/20, I'd probably have been happier with this one over the one I got...oh well.
Stubbs is offline   Reply With Quote