R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-13-2009, 09:34 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default Clutch shoe life

Hey guys I'm curious as to any tips to get clutch shoes to last longer such as springs, shoes, gearing. I was running max life shoes and those lasted pretty well but I recently tried some king heads 7075 shoes and they lasted about a half gallon before they were toast I was pretty dissapointed.
AsSc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:57 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

what car/clutch,springs? breaking a clutch in properly will make your clutch life extend well. with new clutch springs and shoes and prepped bell, scuff with a red scotch brite or use sand paper...on a losi i have had good results with king headz as well as maxxlife shoes when used proper springs. gone clutch at half gal had to have probs
Old 09-13-2009, 12:33 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsSc8 View Post
Hey guys I'm curious as to any tips to get clutch shoes to last longer such as springs, shoes, gearing. I was running max life shoes and those lasted pretty well but I recently tried some king heads 7075 shoes and they lasted about a half gallon before they were toast I was pretty dissapointed.
Heavy springs, light & soft shoes will wear out quicker than light springs with heavy hard shoes.

Also overgearing will heat up and shorten shoe and spring life.

Keeping up on your clutch maintenance is critical. Make sure the shoes are deburred, the bell is cleaned and that the flywheel pins are not worn.

I personally use the M2C clutch on both my truggy and buggy and have seen more than 2 gallons so far on their hard shoes and 1.0 springs. (both 4 shoe systems)

Jimmy Wright

www.trackstarrc.com

www.trackstarrc.com ~ www.facebook.com/TrackStarRC ~ Home of the 2x's Stock Nationals Champion TS-Gold & TS-Black tire sauce, TS-1+ lubricants, TS-Precision bearings, XRG Xtreme Racing Grease, Scale Auto Engineering, ElevenTech, WRD2, Carbon 12, Stiff Products
Racecrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 02:08 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

This clutch setup is getting great reviews! I just purchased one and have not run it yet but expect 2-3 gallons easy!

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...lutch-Kit-34mm

http://ascendancyrc.com/Products.php
Iholla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 02:35 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

that clutch looks good, I alway's had good luck with the Losi clutch. I have alway's gotten way better life on any clutch using carbon and aluminum mixed. Our Kyosho clutches get many race weekends on 2 alum and 1 carbon 1.0 springs.

Rex
Fx Royal engines/ Maxy Engines
e-mail rwmods@yahoo.com Rex Welch
22Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 02:38 PM   #6
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Yea its loosely based off the losi but much better! I have mine set up with 2-1.0 and 2-.09's since Im on a loose track.
Iholla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 02:39 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Check it regularly and do maintenance. This will make any brand of shoe last longer and help you avoid problems too.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:43 PM   #8
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22Racer View Post
that clutch looks good, I alway's had good luck with the Losi clutch. I have alway's gotten way better life on any clutch using carbon and aluminum mixed. Our Kyosho clutches get many race weekends on 2 alum and 1 carbon 1.0 springs.

Rex

X2 the losi unit is stout...and i 100% agree on the mix factor....the composite shoes lubricate the clutch and keep it happy.....as far as the ascendancyrc clutch goes....they sell 1 kind of shoe in 1 kind of material..and they aren't any cheaper then say a losi set-up........the shoes may very well last longer but the fact is 7075 shoes may work in some situation's but not ALL situation's.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:53 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
X2 the losi unit is stout...and i 100% agree on the mix factor....the composite shoes lubricate the clutch and keep it happy.....as far as the ascendancyrc clutch goes....they sell 1 kind of shoe in 1 kind of material..and they aren't any cheaper then say a losi set-up........the shoes may very well last longer but the fact is 7075 shoes may work in some situation's but not ALL situation's.
Integra,

Please do the research again on the price of the Ascendancy clutch. Look at AMain becasue 90% of people shop there. By the time you add everything you buy seperate for the losi clutch to get what you get in our clutch you have spent and extra 12-18$ With the ascendancy clutch you get

Flywheel
Shoes
Nut
Brass Cone
2 washers
1 Set .90 Springs
1 Set 1.0 Springs
1 Set 1.1 Springs

See you at the track.
janderson78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:22 AM   #10
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by janderson78 View Post
Integra,

Please do the research again on the price of the Ascendancy clutch. Look at AMain becasue 90% of people shop there. By the time you add everything you buy seperate for the losi clutch to get what you get in our clutch you have spent and extra 12-18$ With the ascendancy clutch you get

Flywheel
Shoes
Nut
Brass Cone
2 washers
1 Set .90 Springs
1 Set 1.0 Springs
1 Set 1.1 Springs

you dont need a new collet every time...Nor do you need every spring.....shims same deal.....the losi unit to rebuild is on par if not cheaper then the Asc set-up.....and having only 1 kind of shoe leaves a little to be desired if you ask me.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Old 09-23-2009, 07:09 AM   #11
Tech Master

Quote:
you dont need a new collet every time...Nor do you need every spring.....shims same deal.....the losi unit to rebuild is on par if not cheaper then the Asc set-up.....and having only 1 kind of shoe leaves a little to be desired if you ask me.
Integra, I guess you need a little help with the math again. OK Let say we do a rebuild same parts for each.

So all you need is new shoes and new springs.

Amain Prices.

Ascendancy RC
Shoes = 20.99
Springs (1 Set any Rate) = 4.99
Total = 25.98

Losi
Aluminum 2 Pack = 14.49 x 2 (4 shoes) = 28.98
Springs = (1 Set any rate) 5.09
Total = 34.07

Losi 34.07
Ascendancy 25.98
Difference = 8.09

SO IN SHORT JUST TO REBUILD YOU ARE SAVING $8.09 Every time!!!!

No lets go back to the other thread where you said the Losi clutch is the same price. You are wrong there to. To build a losi clutch and get everything you get with the ascendancy clutch is $12.99 more then the Ascendancy clutch.

Ascendancy New Clutch = 54.99
Losi Clutch with one set of springs = 4 shoes = 28.98 Flywheel = 16.99 nut = 6.79 Springs 5.09 Total = 57.85

Difference is 57.85-54.99 =

So lets say you dont need the springs. You buy everything for the losi but the springs you are still 2.86 more expensive then the Ascendancy Clutch. This is the 3rd time I have pointed this out for you. I understand you like the losi clutch and that is good but please have the facts in order when posting.

See you at the track.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:16 AM   #12
Tech Master

One more thing. The price above is using the cost for the Blue RTR flywheel. If you use the black flywheel to calculate the cost it is another $4.5.

You can look all these prices are right off of Amain. Now lets say you rebuild you clutch once a month (You race 2 weekends a month)

So you save 8.09 per monthe = 8.09 X 12mths = 97.08 savings per year. If you rebuild twice a month like I do it will save you 194.16

See you at the track.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:43 AM   #13
Tech Lord

wow 3$ more expensive....ITS the END of the WORLD.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:50 AM   #14
Tech Lord

flywheel 16.99 (more then likely not needed unless severely beat up)
Comp shoes 11.25
alum shoes 14.49
Springs 5.09
shoe pins 5.09

52.91 as i see it the losi is cheaper....obviously you see differently....no worries im not concerned.

also on a side note...the black flywheel will never wear out...its Steel...so the 4.50$ investment if your set-up calls for it and can be an extremely good tuning option.

Last edited by Integra; 09-23-2009 at 08:18 AM.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:23 AM   #15
Tech Master

Quote:
flywheel 16.99 (more then likely not needed unless severely beat up)
Comp shoes 11.25
alum shoes 14.49
Springs 5.09
shoe pins 5.09

52.91 as i see it the losi is cheaper....obviously you see differently....no worries im not concerned.

also on a side note...the black flywheel will never wear out...its Steel...so the 4.50$ investment if your set-up calls for it and can be an extremely good tuning option.
You seem to be compairing to our brand new clutch that includes the NUT, Collet and 2 more sets of springs. And you are also not doing apples to apples because you think you are smart and put in to Comp shoes. To make the price cheaper.

I will give you that the still flywheel will last a long time. But I am not so hard on the aluminum that I have ever had to replace it. I see the steel more as a tuning option to slow the spool up if the engine since it has a heavier rotating mass.

See you at the track.