R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-13-2009, 09:34 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 86
Default Clutch shoe life

Hey guys I'm curious as to any tips to get clutch shoes to last longer such as springs, shoes, gearing. I was running max life shoes and those lasted pretty well but I recently tried some king heads 7075 shoes and they lasted about a half gallon before they were toast I was pretty dissapointed.
AsSc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:57 AM   #2
Tech Master
 
8&stuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In.
Posts: 1,401
Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Default

what car/clutch,springs? breaking a clutch in properly will make your clutch life extend well. with new clutch springs and shoes and prepped bell, scuff with a red scotch brite or use sand paper...on a losi i have had good results with king headz as well as maxxlife shoes when used proper springs. gone clutch at half gal had to have probs
__________________
Mark Buecker
8&stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 12:33 PM   #3
Tech Elite
 
Racecrafter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: RC Mecca
Posts: 4,138
Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsSc8 View Post
Hey guys I'm curious as to any tips to get clutch shoes to last longer such as springs, shoes, gearing. I was running max life shoes and those lasted pretty well but I recently tried some king heads 7075 shoes and they lasted about a half gallon before they were toast I was pretty dissapointed.
Heavy springs, light & soft shoes will wear out quicker than light springs with heavy hard shoes.

Also overgearing will heat up and shorten shoe and spring life.

Keeping up on your clutch maintenance is critical. Make sure the shoes are deburred, the bell is cleaned and that the flywheel pins are not worn.

I personally use the M2C clutch on both my truggy and buggy and have seen more than 2 gallons so far on their hard shoes and 1.0 springs. (both 4 shoe systems)


Jimmy Wright

www.trackstarrc.com
__________________
Jimmy Wright

www.trackstarrc.com ~ www.facebook.com/TrackStarRC ~ Home of the 2x's Stock Nationals Champion TS-Gold & TS-Black tire sauce, TS-1+ lubricants, TS-Precision bearings, XRG Xtreme Racing Grease, Scale Auto Engineering, ElevenTech, WRD2, Carbon 12, Stiff Products
Racecrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 02:08 PM   #4
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 196
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

This clutch setup is getting great reviews! I just purchased one and have not run it yet but expect 2-3 gallons easy!

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...lutch-Kit-34mm


http://ascendancyrc.com/Products.php
Iholla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 02:35 PM   #5
Tech Elite
 
22Racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Wanamingo Mn
Posts: 3,078
Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)
Default

that clutch looks good, I alway's had good luck with the Losi clutch. I have alway's gotten way better life on any clutch using carbon and aluminum mixed. Our Kyosho clutches get many race weekends on 2 alum and 1 carbon 1.0 springs.

Rex
__________________
Rw modding and engine repair http://www.rw-mods.com
Sleeve resizing $15.00/ motor rebuild $30.00
Argus engine distributor/Avid bearings/ Alpha engines/
Fx Royal engines/ Maxy Engines
e-mail rwmods@yahoo.com Rex Welch
22Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 02:38 PM   #6
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 196
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Yea its loosely based off the losi but much better! I have mine set up with 2-1.0 and 2-.09's since Im on a loose track.
Iholla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 02:39 PM   #7
Tech Addict
 
Madbrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 727
Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default

Check it regularly and do maintenance. This will make any brand of shoe last longer and help you avoid problems too.
__________________
XT8 - Werks B5
Hyper 10SC Novak PRO ESC 4.5HV
Madbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 08:43 PM   #8
Tech Lord
 
Integra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 12,482
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22Racer View Post
that clutch looks good, I alway's had good luck with the Losi clutch. I have alway's gotten way better life on any clutch using carbon and aluminum mixed. Our Kyosho clutches get many race weekends on 2 alum and 1 carbon 1.0 springs.

Rex



X2 the losi unit is stout...and i 100% agree on the mix factor....the composite shoes lubricate the clutch and keep it happy.....as far as the ascendancyrc clutch goes....they sell 1 kind of shoe in 1 kind of material..and they aren't any cheaper then say a losi set-up........the shoes may very well last longer but the fact is 7075 shoes may work in some situation's but not ALL situation's.
__________________
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:53 PM   #9
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,982
Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
X2 the losi unit is stout...and i 100% agree on the mix factor....the composite shoes lubricate the clutch and keep it happy.....as far as the ascendancyrc clutch goes....they sell 1 kind of shoe in 1 kind of material..and they aren't any cheaper then say a losi set-up........the shoes may very well last longer but the fact is 7075 shoes may work in some situation's but not ALL situation's.
Integra,

Please do the research again on the price of the Ascendancy clutch. Look at AMain becasue 90% of people shop there. By the time you add everything you buy seperate for the losi clutch to get what you get in our clutch you have spent and extra 12-18$ With the ascendancy clutch you get

Flywheel
Shoes
Nut
Brass Cone
2 washers
1 Set .90 Springs
1 Set 1.0 Springs
1 Set 1.1 Springs
__________________
Getting back to racing!!!

See you at the track.
janderson78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:22 AM   #10
Tech Lord
 
Integra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 12,482
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by janderson78 View Post
Integra,

Please do the research again on the price of the Ascendancy clutch. Look at AMain becasue 90% of people shop there. By the time you add everything you buy seperate for the losi clutch to get what you get in our clutch you have spent and extra 12-18$ With the ascendancy clutch you get

Flywheel
Shoes
Nut
Brass Cone
2 washers
1 Set .90 Springs
1 Set 1.0 Springs
1 Set 1.1 Springs


you dont need a new collet every time...Nor do you need every spring.....shims same deal.....the losi unit to rebuild is on par if not cheaper then the Asc set-up.....and having only 1 kind of shoe leaves a little to be desired if you ask me.
__________________
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:09 AM   #11
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,982
Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
you dont need a new collet every time...Nor do you need every spring.....shims same deal.....the losi unit to rebuild is on par if not cheaper then the Asc set-up.....and having only 1 kind of shoe leaves a little to be desired if you ask me.
Integra, I guess you need a little help with the math again. OK Let say we do a rebuild same parts for each.

So all you need is new shoes and new springs.

Amain Prices.

Ascendancy RC
Shoes = 20.99
Springs (1 Set any Rate) = 4.99
Total = 25.98

Losi
Aluminum 2 Pack = 14.49 x 2 (4 shoes) = 28.98
Springs = (1 Set any rate) 5.09
Total = 34.07

Losi 34.07
Ascendancy 25.98
Difference = 8.09


SO IN SHORT JUST TO REBUILD YOU ARE SAVING $8.09 Every time!!!!

No lets go back to the other thread where you said the Losi clutch is the same price. You are wrong there to. To build a losi clutch and get everything you get with the ascendancy clutch is $12.99 more then the Ascendancy clutch.

Ascendancy New Clutch = 54.99
Losi Clutch with one set of springs = 4 shoes = 28.98 Flywheel = 16.99 nut = 6.79 Springs 5.09 Total = 57.85

Difference is 57.85-54.99 =

So lets say you dont need the springs. You buy everything for the losi but the springs you are still 2.86 more expensive then the Ascendancy Clutch. This is the 3rd time I have pointed this out for you. I understand you like the losi clutch and that is good but please have the facts in order when posting.
__________________
Getting back to racing!!!

See you at the track.
janderson78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:16 AM   #12
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,982
Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)
Default

One more thing. The price above is using the cost for the Blue RTR flywheel. If you use the black flywheel to calculate the cost it is another $4.5.

You can look all these prices are right off of Amain. Now lets say you rebuild you clutch once a month (You race 2 weekends a month)

So you save 8.09 per monthe = 8.09 X 12mths = 97.08 savings per year. If you rebuild twice a month like I do it will save you 194.16
__________________
Getting back to racing!!!

See you at the track.
janderson78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:43 AM   #13
Tech Lord
 
Integra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 12,482
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra
Default

wow 3$ more expensive....ITS the END of the WORLD.
__________________
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:50 AM   #14
Tech Lord
 
Integra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 12,482
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra
Default

flywheel 16.99 (more then likely not needed unless severely beat up)
Comp shoes 11.25
alum shoes 14.49
Springs 5.09
shoe pins 5.09


52.91 as i see it the losi is cheaper....obviously you see differently....no worries im not concerned.

also on a side note...the black flywheel will never wear out...its Steel...so the 4.50$ investment if your set-up calls for it and can be an extremely good tuning option.
__________________
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -

Last edited by Integra; 09-23-2009 at 08:18 AM.
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:23 AM   #15
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,982
Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
flywheel 16.99 (more then likely not needed unless severely beat up)
Comp shoes 11.25
alum shoes 14.49
Springs 5.09
shoe pins 5.09


52.91 as i see it the losi is cheaper....obviously you see differently....no worries im not concerned.

also on a side note...the black flywheel will never wear out...its Steel...so the 4.50$ investment if your set-up calls for it and can be an extremely good tuning option.
You seem to be compairing to our brand new clutch that includes the NUT, Collet and 2 more sets of springs. And you are also not doing apples to apples because you think you are smart and put in to Comp shoes. To make the price cheaper.

I will give you that the still flywheel will last a long time. But I am not so hard on the aluminum that I have ever had to replace it. I see the steel more as a tuning option to slow the spool up if the engine since it has a heavier rotating mass.
__________________
Getting back to racing!!!

See you at the track.
janderson78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Clutch shoe tool? bjr48 Nitro Off-Road 27 12-05-2008 08:00 AM
Clutch Maintenance Help LabRat99 Nitro Off-Road 12 10-18-2008 03:50 PM
Good Clutch Shoe Replacement??? NEMESIS44 Nitro Off-Road 13 04-15-2008 01:37 PM
clutch shoe problem need help! Redfox03 Nitro Off-Road 8 09-20-2007 04:38 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:59 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net