R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-13-2009, 08:10 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Rebuilding Diff's

Hi all - OK here's the deal. At our last meet, my front diff was acting up. Meaning when I turned each wheel independent of each other it felt like I was missing a tooth and or it was binding up. I use good 5k diff fluid and upon breaking the diff apart, I found all the teeth were fine. No metal, no chipped teeth. All the shims looked good. So I rebuild the front diff and checked the shims and allowed for a couple thousands of play (Internally). That seemed to fix the front diff. No my center is doing the same thing. So I pulled the center diff apart, again no bad teeth. I noticed the upper larger planetary shim on the spur gear is concave. So I removed it, cleaned and replaced the fluid. I haven't run it yet to test it. I think, I'm building the diff's with not enough lash. Meaning they are to tight and when they get hot, they bind up.

Has anyone had this problem? I think I'm going in the right direction.

What I finally did on the front diff was use a savage aluminum diff cup and used the harden hardware internally. I checked the spur gear gasket depth and its the same on the hot bodies spur. So the space is the same. Except its a new cup and internals. And after driving the buggy around the driveway, and getting it hot, the front no longer binds.

I've tried to find any information on the back lash or play in the gears, but have come up short.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:40 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

45 views and no response ???

Come on I know someone has some info /feed back on how they build their diff's...
Old 09-13-2009, 04:21 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by offr0aden View Post
Hi all - OK here's the deal. At our last meet, my front diff was acting up. Meaning when I turned each wheel independent of each other it felt like I was missing a tooth and or it was binding up. I use good 5k diff fluid and upon breaking the diff apart, I found all the teeth were fine. No metal, no chipped teeth. All the shims looked good. So I rebuild the front diff and checked the shims and allowed for a couple thousands of play (Internally). That seemed to fix the front diff. No my center is doing the same thing. So I pulled the center diff apart, again no bad teeth. I noticed the upper larger planetary shim on the spur gear is concave. So I removed it, cleaned and replaced the fluid. I haven't run it yet to test it. I think, I'm building the diff's with not enough lash. Meaning they are to tight and when they get hot, they bind up.

Has anyone had this problem? I think I'm going in the right direction.

What I finally did on the front diff was use a savage aluminum diff cup and used the harden hardware internally. I checked the spur gear gasket depth and its the same on the hot bodies spur. So the space is the same. Except its a new cup and internals. And after driving the buggy around the driveway, and getting it hot, the front no longer binds.

I've tried to find any information on the back lash or play in the gears, but have come up short.
What brand buggy?

www.trackstarrc.com ~ www.facebook.com/TrackStarRC ~ Home of the 2x's Stock Nationals Champion TS-Gold & TS-Black tire sauce, TS-1+ lubricants, TS-Precision bearings, XRG Xtreme Racing Grease, Scale Auto Engineering, ElevenTech, WRD2, Carbon 12, Stiff Products
Racecrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 04:45 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to smb17

check the play in your shafts. If the shafts have a lot of play in them they will beat on the internal gears on the diff causing them to get a hard edge and not be free.