Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Tuning firestorm 10t >

Tuning firestorm 10t

Tuning firestorm 10t

Old 12-31-2011, 09:15 AM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? Tuning firestorm 10t

Hello, I am new to forum and nitro cars. I bought a firestorm about 3 weeks ago now. I have run it in but when it comes to the tuning side of things no matter what slight changes I make it just does hit full speed but it nearly dies and I have to slow it down a bit. I have tried adjusting the high speed but it won't have it, I getting stuck now so any help would be great.

I have made a few mods, new few aluminium body parts and suspension bits, new wheels and tyers. Aluminium exhaust, and custom body also moved battery box to the front to stop it pulling wheelies lol, But this is all pointless unless its running right.

Thanks Greg

Last edited by Gregwilliams111; 01-03-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:02 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Gregwilliams111
...it just does hit full speed but it nearly dies and I have to slow it down a bit.
From your description, that sounds like a lean bog. Basically, your high speed needle (HSN) on the carb is set too lean, so when you are approaching top speed, the engine is starving for fuel and starts to hesitate. If this is the case, you are dangerously close to cooking your engine. Richen your HSN needle at least 2 hours (think of the needle screw as a clock, and move it back 2 hours). You should see this hesitation disappear. Also, since the HSN affects total flow of fuel through the carb, once you richen the HSN you may find that take-off from idle is a bit sluggish. If this is the case, then you will need to lean out the low-speed needle (LSN) an hour or 2.

Start with richening the HSN first though and see what happens.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:08 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the reply, I have tried to richen the mixture but
Still no luck. Even when the hsn is at the fresh out the box position it still bogs at full throttle. Should I be able to go from standstill to full throttle and not have any problems or does the speed have to build up. I have a video of what happens when I do this which I will upload at some point, on iPhone at the mo so can't. I took the engine apart today and had a look but everything looks new still so hopefully no damage has been done.