R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-11-2009, 12:27 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to JoeyTheRocket Send a message via Yahoo to JoeyTheRocket

Mine always went out about 12mins into a the main @ 130 deg on the receivers. I had 4 receivers go one right after another during test before the Nat's, 603's and 604's. After contacting Scott Cramer at Hobbico, I have had no issues. I also have the newer updated 4PK model too.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:28 PM   #17
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I have two of these 4pk and 6 rx (603fs, 603ff and 604fs) all worked great in my electric vehicles. Then one of my friend's turned me into a nitro junk and then the issues started happening

I'll try different locations for the RX and if it fixes it then GREAT, if not then I'm going back to the DX3R.

Jody J.
JodyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:35 PM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to JoeyTheRocket Send a message via Yahoo to JoeyTheRocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by JodyJ View Post
I have two of these 4pk and 6 rx (603fs, 603ff and 604fs) all worked great in my electric vehicles. Then one of my friend's turned me into a nitro junk and then the issues started happening

I'll try different locations for the RX and if it fixes it then GREAT, if not then I'm going back to the DX3R.

Jody J.
What I did in my RC8B & RC8T is mount only the receiver in the the receiver box. I took 1/4" foam and raised it in the box and used double sided tape. Gluing the RX to the foam worked the best for me. Raising the RX will keep it from getting the chassis heat too. I also keep it as close to the switch as possible. I have no extra holes or foam in the box, this seemed to help out a little and get me by. I also cleared some material off the the back of my buggy body too. This will let the heat get out.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:10 PM   #19
Tech Regular

This is exactly why I went with Spektrum.

O and the fact that right on the box it says Spektrum RX can handle 9.6v which means LiPo w/o a reg, and still no over heating issues.
Losi 8IGHT 2.0 B/Werks B7 Pro/2013/Hitech HV Servos
Losi 8IGHT 2.0 E/Mamba Monster ESC/Xcelorin 2100kv or NEU Castle 2650kv *RIP-LIPO FIRE
RJNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 02:26 PM   #20
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

as they stated earlier are right ,when i encounter this before on my 3pks im really frustated imagine a pricey radio got issue ...........anyway this is what they suggest me 2 things & im all good ,1st set the fail-safe ,2nd drill some hole on your receiver box ,i believe 2 hole is fine ........................to bushyar15 ,im using the ballistic 2700 nimh pack for my rc8t (the servos are hitec 7985/7955) & no problem
Old 09-11-2009, 03:23 PM   #21
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyTheRocket View Post
Mr. Cramer did take care of me though, but Futaba is on there last leg with me.
same crap happened to me in front of cramer as well with my 3pk, he gave me a new rx but same thing happened. it got sold and i went to the dx3r.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:40 PM   #22
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Of course the receiver box is hot, its next to the motor. Also, if you are running a lipo with a Regulator, the regulator heats up.

I race lipo with regulators, and had a couple problems. Since then, i have removed the regulators, and not 1 problem.
Bigedmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 07:08 PM   #23
Tech Regular

Default 2.4 heat problem

I run lipo in my truggy with reg. and I have had this happen so many times. seems to happen about 1/2 way into the main. I run a nimh 2700 balistic in buggy and have never once had this problem even when racing in 110 deg weather. If outside temperatures are 60-75 deg. I never have a problem with lipo. It is def. frustrating.
tristyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 07:24 PM   #24
Tech Elite

The guys with the 4pk that I've seen, and that have had good luck, mounted the Rx upside down on the lid of the radio box and put airplane rx foam in the bottom of the box. They were running Nihm batteries. Keep in mind a regulator makes a ton of heat. Put that reg on the outside or go Nihm.

Its a shame, would be the perfect radio if it didn't overheat and costed two hundred less than it deos.

Apparently even the best pros are having this problem:
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 12:52 AM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I guess I should count my blessings :P. I've been running LiPo, no reg, 4PK/604FS in my Nitro Moo all summer, no problems. If I had to guess, it's likely due to no reg and maybe also in part to location, as the Rx box on the Moo is opposite the engine...
NitroOB4You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:09 PM   #26
Tech Regular

Default futaba

After traveling 3 hrs to go racing this last weekend it happened again. I called futaba this morning about a fix and they denied having this problem infact the guy I spoke with said he had never heard of this problem. GOODBYE FUTABA.
tristyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:16 PM   #27
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristyn View Post
After traveling 3 hrs to go racing this last weekend it happened again. I called futaba this morning about a fix and they denied having this problem infact the guy I spoke with said he had never heard of this problem. GOODBYE FUTABA.
EXACTLY and yet the 'team drivers' who post claim all issues have been fixed.....

HOW CAN YOU FIX AN ISSUE THAT IS CLAIMED NEVER EXISTED??????????
JayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:53 PM   #28
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Knock on wood......I have yet to have a 603 shut down on me running Losi reg and a variety of lipo's from Protec to Losi to ebay cheepos with the reg In the box with the Rx Right beside it

OLD pics but same set-up on the 2.0's with the Reg exactly where it sits

Ace....Yuck
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:31 PM   #29
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayL View Post
EXACTLY and yet the 'team drivers' who post claim all issues have been fixed.....

HOW CAN YOU FIX AN ISSUE THAT IS CLAIMED NEVER EXISTED??????????
Now that's funny. After drilling holes in the receiver box on the RC8t, I have not had any issuse (knock on wood)!

Have NOT done it to the RC8B yet, will drill some holes and test again on Thursday at Rev.

Thanks.

Jody J.
JodyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:05 PM   #30
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristyn View Post
Thats how futaba lost my support as well.