Wiki Posts
Search

front end pushing

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 06:59 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default front end pushing

I have an RC8 that just seems to want to push at fairly high speeds. I've gone through a few different tires, changed oil weights, shock positions, I have set camber at -2 but nothing really makes it any better. I do run a fairly dry track with not much traction, but still pushes quite a bit with a high traction track. I was wondering if hinge pin bushing positioning makes any difference in steering?
Old 09-11-2009, 06:26 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gnpower
I have an RC8 that just seems to want to push at fairly high speeds. I've gone through a few different tires, changed oil weights, shock positions, I have set camber at -2 but nothing really makes it any better. I do run a fairly dry track with not much traction, but still pushes quite a bit with a high traction track. I was wondering if hinge pin bushing positioning makes any difference in steering?
Try raising the upper camber links... maybe softer swaybar... soften up the suspension.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:48 PM
Tech Addict

as far as hinge pin bushing position are you talking about the rear hub position? Moving the rear hub backwards will give more side bite in the rear. Moving them forward will give more forward bite and it might help the car come around better if your pushing.

Where are you pushing? high speed corner entry or exit?
Old 09-11-2009, 06:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

gnpower,

My buggy was pushing, and I removed some droop from the rear. Fixed the problem. Let us know what you find out.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:27 PM
Tech Champion

More info needed.

Can you post your entire setup? Be more specific where it's pushing, on power, off power, both?

Pics of track surface? Type? (Ie: dirt, hardpacked dirt, dusty, clay etc.)
What tires are you running?
Old 09-11-2009, 08:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

For push you can loosen the front springs and tight the rear spring a little therefore when comeing off gas going into corner weight shift forward. You can also lighten rear diff fluid. Hope this helps.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:06 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by razo125
as far as hinge pin bushing position are you talking about the rear hub position? Moving the rear hub backwards will give more side bite in the rear. Moving them forward will give more forward bite and it might help the car come around better if your pushing.

Mid to exit.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:08 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by glolar
gnpower,

My buggy was pushing, and I removed some droop from the rear. Fixed the problem. Let us know what you find out.
When you got rid of some droop in the rear, did your car tend to start flipping over a bit more. Figured the higher center of gravity would be trouble
Old 09-12-2009, 06:12 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by bigde2001
For push you can loosen the front springs and tight the rear spring a little therefore when comeing off gas going into corner weight shift forward. You can also lighten rear diff fluid. Hope this helps.
I will make the changes and see how it works tomorrow. I post with any performance changes. Thanks to all.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yes moving the front upper hinge pins up should help gains some mid to exit steering.

Is your car an original RC8? Have you moved the battery up if it isnt? Having some extra weight on the front of the car can really help.

Also you can try raising the rear ride height or removing some front droop. Dont underestimate those 2 adjustments.
Old 09-13-2009, 02:31 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by razo125

Mid to exit.
So its pushing only on mid/exit high speed corners. Theres lots of things you can try, but they all affect other things. The easiest is moving weight forward as everyone is saying.

On exit you are accelerating so if you put less droop on the front, there will be less weight transfer to the rear when you accelerate giving you more steering.

In the middle of the corner if you're just rolling through, just lower your ride height in the front or raise the rear to put more weight in the front

Try these first.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Originally Posted by PTP Racing
Also you can try raising the rear ride height or removing some front droop. Dont underestimate those 2 adjustments.
Just trying to understand this, But removing some droop from the front end would let the front end lift more and shift more weight to the rear correct? wouldn't this take away from the steering? Plz explain.. I'm pretty new to setups and would like to understand that.

Thanks, Nick
Old 09-13-2009, 06:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 82 (99%+)

let off the throttle and roll it thought the corner i mean
like every car is going to push to some point
Old 09-13-2009, 06:34 PM
Tech Master

try going up in front shock oil, thicker oil slows the weight trasfer to the rear and can help. you would be suprised what going up 2 1/2 on front oil will do.