Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please help driveshaft pin stuck

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 12:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Please help driveshaft pin stuck

Just changing out my driveshaft pins on my Xray 808. Done them all bar one to do was the front one on the pinion gear

went to take out the small grub screw so used my hudy 1.5mm hex driver quite new put it in properly turned it and bang snapped the tip clean off didnt even round it just snapped it clean off.

so i soaked the driveshaft in oil and got another allen key and it rounded the allen key as it was only a rubbish one i really need it out what can i do. i will try and get another hudy one or maybe a eds 1.5mm if the wosrt comes to worst is there any other way to get the pin out

i need to change it asap

Thanks Ben
Old 09-09-2009, 01:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BenXB8ec
Just changing out my driveshaft pins on my Xray 808. Done them all bar one to do was the front one on the pinion gear

went to take out the small grub screw so used my hudy 1.5mm hex driver quite new put it in properly turned it and bang snapped the tip clean off didnt even round it just snapped it clean off.

so i soaked the driveshaft in oil and got another allen key and it rounded the allen key as it was only a rubbish one i really need it out what can i do. i will try and get another hudy one or maybe a eds 1.5mm if the wosrt comes to worst is there any other way to get the pin out

i need to change it asap

Thanks Ben
heat!!!!!!! thats all i do
Old 09-09-2009, 03:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Yeah... HEAT !!! I'm new to this hobby and one things i've learned is heat is always the way to go. Don't be easy on it either... get a mapp gas burner if you've got one... being a small part don't hold the flame directly on it or you may melt it... but just give it a few passes with a good blue flame (even a jet butane lighter will do) and you'll see smoke piss out of it once the loctite has burnt off. Then while it's still hot try undoing it...
Old 09-09-2009, 03:12 PM
Tech Master

Just put a hot soldering iron on it for a few seconds & then try.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:52 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I use a Mini Butane torch on stubborn set screws.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BenXB8ec

i need to change it asap

Thanks Ben

Dude, don't feel bad. I been racing 1/8 scale for 9 years and I just did the same exact thing a few day ago except for me it was a 6 month old 1/16 MIP driver I broke clean off. Also, I wouldn't blame the tools. I have really old HUDY tool set and I never broke a tip with those.

Anyway, I tried a mini torch and a huge torch and the setscrew still wouldn't come out. I twisted a L shape wrench about 5 times. I thought the screw was coming out, but the wrench was twisting.

I had to drill out the setscrew and problem solved, I guess I wont tighten those to much next time and just let the locktite to its job.