R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-08-2009, 07:50 PM   #1
Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 354
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default want to go nitro...tell me why i should or should not...

ive been in and out of the rc game for about 15 or so years but have been a electric guy for the entire time.i really want to go 1/8 buggy nitro but i really dont know that much about it. my friends tell me that its much easier than eletric.but i really dont know.is it that much easier? it seems pretty straight forward except for the tuning process. so any help would be greatly appreciated on this subject.im considering either the associated rc8b or the losi 2.0..

ps. ive been associated my whole life lol

thanks
09 lex 250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:07 PM   #2
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Zionsville, IN
Posts: 578
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

With the advent of Li-Po batteries and high-powered, efficient brushless motors, alot of people are jumping into Electric 1/8th scale. I personally prefer the sound and performance of the Nitro Buggy. For me personally, it is easier to drive. I love the challenge of tuning the engine and the smell of nitro. I like the fact that the Mains are longer in nitro vs. electric. I'm not very familiar with electric, but most mains I see are limited to 10-15 minutes, whereas Nitro mains can go 30 minutes (the longest i've ever done) or more.

The instant torque and power of the electrics are too much for me. If you have been into electrics, then you probably already know how to drive one well enough to compete. Some people really love that kind of power.

Nitro and electric both have their individual challenges. My regular track is pretty nitro heavy when it comes to off-road, but there are also quite a few guys that are going electric. Electric 1/8th scale is poised to be the next big thing, but I will run nitro until i have to change.

My best advice would be to go to your local track and see what the larger class is. The 2 buggies you listed as your choices are both high-quality performers. Comes down to personal preference and parts availability at your LHS. If you choose to go nitro and find out that you don't like it, there are conversion kits available for both of those buggies to make the change to electric.

Hope I helped.
sdtech58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:07 PM   #3
Tech Elite
 
Gearhead racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Somewhere in PA
Posts: 2,020
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 lex 250 View Post
ive been in and out of the rc game for about 15 or so years but have been a electric guy for the entire time.i really want to go 1/8 buggy nitro but i really dont know that much about it. my friends tell me that its much easier than eletric.but i really dont know.is it that much easier? it seems pretty straight forward except for the tuning process. so any help would be greatly appreciated on this subject.im considering either the associated rc8b or the losi 2.0..

ps. ive been associated my whole life lol

thanks
Well nitro is not much harder but due to the tuning process which is what some people have a hard time with. Your best bet if you want to learn how to is read the tuning bible at the top of the page in the Nitro Offroad page! Im a Jammin guy but embarrass to say but I'm going to a Losi 8ight 2.0 soonUntil then you can keep your slosi The RTR versoin has everything you would need to get started.
__________________
"Seeing the world on 2 wheels"
Losi Ten-T SCTE~Tekin SC4X 4.5~ Tekin RX8
Gearhead racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:42 PM   #4
Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 354
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdtech58 View Post
With the advent of Li-Po batteries and high-powered, efficient brushless motors, alot of people are jumping into Electric 1/8th scale. I personally prefer the sound and performance of the Nitro Buggy. For me personally, it is easier to drive. I love the challenge of tuning the engine and the smell of nitro. I like the fact that the Mains are longer in nitro vs. electric. I'm not very familiar with electric, but most mains I see are limited to 10-15 minutes, whereas Nitro mains can go 30 minutes (the longest i've ever done) or more.

The instant torque and power of the electrics are too much for me. If you have been into electrics, then you probably already know how to drive one well enough to compete. Some people really love that kind of power.

Nitro and electric both have their individual challenges. My regular track is pretty nitro heavy when it comes to off-road, but there are also quite a few guys that are going electric. Electric 1/8th scale is poised to be the next big thing, but I will run nitro until i have to change.

My best advice would be to go to your local track and see what the larger class is. The 2 buggies you listed as your choices are both high-quality performers. Comes down to personal preference and parts availability at your LHS. If you choose to go nitro and find out that you don't like it, there are conversion kits available for both of those buggies to make the change to electric.

Hope I helped.
yes you did and thank you very much..im in region 4 and 1/8 nitro is MASSIVE here lol
09 lex 250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:43 PM   #5
Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 354
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead racer View Post
Well nitro is not much harder but due to the tuning process which is what some people have a hard time with. Your best bet if you want to learn how to is read the tuning bible at the top of the page in the Nitro Offroad page! Im a Jammin guy but embarrass to say but I'm going to a Losi 8ight 2.0 soonUntil then you can keep your slosi The RTR versoin has everything you would need to get started.
thanks man..and i hear ya on the slosi but they really came around with that 2.0
09 lex 250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:22 PM   #6
Tech Regular
 
triplesix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: 48.137499,11.575494
Posts: 445
Default

i think, the answer to your question is really simple:
you want to go nitro? then you should definitely try it! you donīt have to be a nobel price winner to tune an engine correctly, so jump into it and have fun!!
__________________
MBX6R
B5M Lowrider
DEX410
Supastox GT
triplesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:18 AM   #7
Tech Apprentice
 
Echelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 53
Default

At first it can be a pain in the ass... But when u have broken in the engine, the fun can begin. If someone with more experience, (you'll find enough at the track) can help you, I see no problem. I used to run electric but once I tried 1/8 nitro I'll never go back. It's hella fun, trust me.
Echelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:26 AM   #8
Tech Lord
 
wingracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12,782
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default

I race and love both nitro and electric but I prefer nitro for many reasons. Some of the biggest reasons are rules stability and reduced cheating (or at least the accusations of cheating). It never fails, win 3 or 4 straight electric races and everyone thinks you have a cheater motor or battery or some other nefarious speed secret. Win at nitro and everyone figures you must really know what you are doing. Then there is the constant changes in motor and battery rules and all the bickering over them. Who needs that? It's not as bad in offroad as it is in onroad but it's still there.
__________________
Sean. Certified speed crazed mowron.
Team Shepherd USA
www.ashfordhobby.com
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:47 AM   #9
Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 354
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
At first it can be a pain in the ass... But when u have broken in the engine, the fun can begin. If someone with more experience, (you'll find enough at the track) can help you, I see no problem. I used to run electric but once I tried 1/8 nitro I'll never go back. It's hella fun, trust me.
i see the fun factor all the time as a matter of fact im goin tonight to watch lol thanks for the reply
09 lex 250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:29 AM   #10
Tech Fanatic
 
Amoeba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 755
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Amoeba Send a message via MSN to Amoeba Send a message via Yahoo to Amoeba
Default

Another thing to consider is the total cost of ownership (TCO). Electric tends to be a higher up-front cost (batteries, chargers) but less cost down the road. Nitro is a lower up-front investment but the costs down the road are higher (fuel etc). Unless you smoke batteries constantly the TCO for Electric is much lower overall compared to Nitro. Even in a perfect world where nothing breaks or needs replacing, you eventually reach a point where the recurring fuel purchases for running nitro exceed the initial cost of electrics.

Obviously I'm not telling you anything new, you've run electric for a while, but many people don't take this into consideration when doing comparisons between nitro/electric.
__________________
Erin Carroll

Do Not Taunt Happy-Fun Ball
Amoeba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:36 AM   #11
Tech Master
 
Razathorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,972
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Nitro cars tear themselves up -- there is a lot of cost from replacing items that wear out and maintenance takes time. Clutch bell bearings, re-pinching or replacing a motor, replacing drive shafts that wear out, tires every few race nights if you run soft compounds and -- you really have to figure out what works and stick with it. Initially, you're gonna break stuff left and right trying to figure out how to drive the thing well. You're gonna go through a few wings. You're gonna bend or break a tower or tie-rod or two. Over all, once you find your groove, you'll love it and figure out what you need to do, keep spares of, and get your costs under control. Initially, however, it will be frustrating. 1/10 scale is FAR cheaper over all. 1/8 anything is more expensive and wears stuff out much faster, nitro or brushless.
__________________
AE B6D / AE B44.3 / AE RC10WC / AE RC8B3
Razathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:43 AM   #12
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,854
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Electric 1/8th is nothing like the electric 1/10th cars you are used to seeing from back in the day. If you want the durability and size of the 1/8th class, but prefer the ease of electric, you can't beat the electric 1/8th setups.

However, with that said, even though electric 1/8ths does not have the tuning of nitro, they still can be finicky and you have to learn quite a bit about proper setup of the motor/esc/batteries. Constantly watching temps of the electronics, etc. You basically exchange one set of problems for another. Instead of chasing a tune, you are making sure your ESC & Motor doesn't go nuclear.

Electric Pros:
Quiet, faster acceleration and top end, no tuning so consistent performance
Electric Cons:
Lipo packs can be expensive, still developing technology, likely to be a redhead step child at nitro tracks, higher upfront costs

Nitro Pros:
Everyone runs nitro, noisy, smokey, less toy like, dirty finger nails
Nitro Cons:
loud, smokey, dirty finger nails, cost more in fuel, glow plugs, etc

Both are fun and exhilarating. Pick your poison.
__________________
Cars I've Owned: Tekno EB48 & SCT410, AE 8.2e, AE SC10 4x4, MBX6e Tekno V4, Xray 808e, Xray 8Te, Losi 810e, Losi SCTE 4x4, Losi 22, Hot Bodies Ve8, Losi 8te, and plenty of Traxxas

Sponsors: Visa, Mastercard, Amex, and my wife's bank account.
Edumakated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 05:37 PM   #13
Tech Prophet
 
tc5 man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: levittown pa
Posts: 16,873
Default

i would do nitro i used to do electric and i just cant stand the instant torque
i like a little lag of the line nitro torque is still plently if u ask me , u do have to buy fuel but if u buy a gallon and not tune it so rich it can last about 2 to 2/1/2 mouths before u have to buy a new gallon, glow plugs tell u the truth i have used my for 2 gallons and its still good without even replace it yet.
as for the clutchs if u use all carbon they wont last long but if use all alum pretty much just clean the clutchbell and sometimes file the shoes,to lipo are way to expensive still and the speed controlers for 1/8 are a hit or miss with relibity trust me man there will be nitro guys only still in the future
and to me if u had all electric sorry to say this but thats not gone to get the spectors to show up and get intrested in the hobby
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:11 PM   #14
Tech Elite
 
Zerodefect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Underground, Ohio
Posts: 4,305
Default

My opinion and experience:

Nitro 1/8th scale:

Plus:
-Long 30-60 minute mains for real racing action with pitstops
-real engines are more fun
-lighter
-solid, steady rules.....when was the last rule change in this class
-pretty fair, noone has a power advantage
-sound awesome
-real brakes are fun to
-smoother low end power, less tire wear
-there is a sense of accomplishment to getting a finicky nitro engine tuned right that nothing in electric can compare to.

minus:
-glowplugs and fuel
- need to find a pit guy that you can expect to see at the same races your going to. (not nessasary but in long races pits are critical)
-Clutch maintenance
-oily
-airfilters

electric 1/8th scale

plus:
-idle really well for a real long time
-plenty of power, usually too much
-no pit guy needed
-no fuel

minus:
-short, lame mains
-no pit action
-heavier
-usually overpowered (some are learning that less is more)
-ESC's and motors are still unreliable and expensive, getting better
-tire wear (more weight +more power)
-sound like metal in a blender
-"waaaa, he's running 5 cell, I thought we were running roar rules...waaaaa"

There is just something special about the challenge of a long 1 hr main with pit stops that electric will never be able to touch. The sound and smell of nitro rules.

I'd recommend jumping into nitro. Just get a good reliable medium powered engine that will be easy to tune and maintain. Like a RB hobby 9 with a 2045 pipe.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:18 PM   #15
Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 354
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
i would do nitro i used to do electric and i just cant stand the instant torque
i like a little lag of the line nitro torque is still plently if u ask me , u do have to buy fuel but if u buy a gallon and not tune it so rich it can last about 2 to 2/1/2 mouths before u have to buy a new gallon, glow plugs tell u the truth i have used my for 2 gallons and its still good without even replace it yet.
as for the clutchs if u use all carbon they wont last long but if use all alum pretty much just clean the clutchbell and sometimes file the shoes,to lipo are way to expensive still and the speed controlers for 1/8 are a hit or miss with relibity trust me man there will be nitro guys only still in the future
and to me if u had all electric sorry to say this but thats not gone to get the spectors to show up and get intrested in the hobby
im starting to realize this week after week...thanks man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edumakated View Post
Electric 1/8th is nothing like the electric 1/10th cars you are used to seeing from back in the day. If you want the durability and size of the 1/8th class, but prefer the ease of electric, you can't beat the electric 1/8th setups.
However, with that said, even though electric 1/8ths does not have the tuning of nitro, they still can be finicky and you have to learn quite a bit about proper setup of the motor/esc/batteries. Constantly watching temps of the electronics, etc. You basically exchange one set of problems for another. Instead of chasing a tune, you are making sure your ESC & Motor doesn't go nuclear.

ive been thinking about the electric set ups as well but imho,if you run 1/8 you gotta burn nitro

thank you as well

Electric Pros:
Quiet, faster acceleration and top end, no tuning so consistent performance
Electric Cons:
Lipo packs can be expensive, still developing technology, likely to be a redhead step child at nitro tracks, higher upfront costs

Nitro Pros:
Everyone runs nitro, noisy, smokey, less toy like, dirty finger nails
Nitro Cons:
loud, smokey, dirty finger nails, cost more in fuel, glow plugs, etc

Both are fun and exhilarating. Pick your poison.
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razathorn View Post
Nitro cars tear themselves up -- there is a lot of cost from replacing items that wear out and maintenance takes time. Clutch bell bearings, re-pinching or replacing a motor, replacing drive shafts that wear out, tires every few race nights if you run soft compounds and -- you really have to figure out what works and stick with it. Initially, you're gonna break stuff left and right trying to figure out how to drive the thing well. You're gonna go through a few wings. You're gonna bend or break a tower or tie-rod or two. Over all, once you find your groove, you'll love it and figure out what you need to do, keep spares of, and get your costs under control. Initially, however, it will be frustrating. 1/10 scale is FAR cheaper over all. 1/8 anything is more expensive and wears stuff out much faster, nitro or brushless.
i did not realize that it was that complicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amoeba View Post
Another thing to consider is the total cost of ownership (TCO). Electric tends to be a higher up-front cost (batteries, chargers) but less cost down the road. Nitro is a lower up-front investment but the costs down the road are higher (fuel etc). Unless you smoke batteries constantly the TCO for Electric is much lower overall compared to Nitro. Even in a perfect world where nothing breaks or needs replacing, you eventually reach a point where the recurring fuel purchases for running nitro exceed the initial cost of electrics.

Obviously I'm not telling you anything new, you've run electric for a while, but many people don't take this into consideration when doing comparisons between nitro/electric.
thanks
09 lex 250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nitro On-Road Addict sa RC Manila Racers 12522 12-27-2015 05:51 PM
"Tamiya Class" racing...Help me choose - TA05 vs TA05R pgeldz Electric On-Road 84 08-09-2008 09:03 PM
Your Opinions Please! Re: Pit Stops, 8th Scale Buggy, Truggy, Nitro, Electric mfanke19 Wisconsin & Illinois Racing 139 03-28-2008 07:43 PM
ROAR to 4 cell.... Advil Electric On-Road 1394 12-21-2006 09:50 PM
It's time for race tracks&directors to step up Juan Aveytia Electric On-Road 19 11-26-2006 07:09 AM
What is the best way to break in a new ening? adsl Onroad Nitro Engine Zone 27 02-10-2005 07:49 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 07:15 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net