R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-11-2009, 09:01 AM   #46
Tech Prophet

u dont need to spend $1000 to be competive im a good driver and can keep up with guys that spend more money on their stuff ,the only thing that i have brought was shims,tires and fuel shock oil and o-rings my glow plugs have lasted me 2 1/2 gallons and still good
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:01 AM   #47
Tech Elite

no no no - Im not saying they are gone like that, but with the technology they will be phased out here in the near future espeically in the racing world. just like you dont see many if any run Nicads any more - because of advancments in technology. And with lipos they will extend the lenghts of elec 10 scale racing because with Lipos they run longer and stronger. and any one can argue that. and I have plenty of examples.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:24 AM   #48
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by token View Post
no no no - Im not saying they are gone like that, but with the technology they will be phased out here in the near future espeically in the racing world. just like you dont see many if any run Nicads any more - because of advancments in technology. And with lipos they will extend the lenghts of elec 10 scale racing because with Lipos they run longer and stronger. and any one can argue that. and I have plenty of examples.
Milliamp hours are milliamp hours regardless of what type of cell is being used. Output may or may not be better depending on the quality of the cells.
Kyosho RB6 | Viper VTX10r/Reedy Mach 3 9.5 | Hitec 7940
Schumacher SX3 Pro | Viper VTX10r/Reedy Mach 2 8.5 | Hitec 7940
madweazl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:47 AM   #49
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I run nimh receiver packs too -- I don't see any reason to futs with lipo ones. I get oodles more runtime than I'd ever need on one of those, and they're less than 20 bucks.

I'm just not a fan of lipo at all. I mean I'm a fan of lithium batteries in general, but I feel that lipo is just too immature and expensive still. I feel that lifepo4 is a much better option and as soon as they become adopted and the rules are changed to allow them to be competitive at their lower voltage level (say running a different winding motor in spec classes) that's what I want to get into. I plan to try and totally skip lipo by gobbling up cheap matched NIMH packs until lifepo4 becomes more accepted. If it doesn't, then I'll consider lipo again, and it will be a much more mature product then.

I just find it totally unacceptable that still, to this day, there are people posting up about their cars bursting into flames or their packs puffing after they went out of their way to prevent it with care and matching their current draw to the correct packs. I know that it works great for the majority of folks, but come on, you wouldn't take those odds on a roller coaster or airplane, right? I certainly won't when there's a perfectly safe alternative that has basically the same capacity and capabilities while additionally being pretty darn robust in it's handling of abuse or misuse.

I mean just search on this forum and you will find a boat load of threads about puffed packs where people are trying to figure out why. I saw an 1/8 electric that burst into flames and he had no idea what he had done wrong or if it was the battery itself just being defective. It amazes me how readily people throw out the "just go lipo" response. People are spending *hundreds* of dollars for their mistakes. This hobby is supposed to be fun. I certainly hope by the time my son is old enough to do RC that lithium based batteries have come further than glorified road flares waiting to go off when you look at them funny, or perhaps no reason at all!
Old 09-11-2009, 01:08 PM   #50
Tech Elite

I've never had a single problem with Lipo's. Some Momos have unrealistic expectations of them.

The most I've been able to do is puff a small 5 dollar lipo a little. Took alot of abuse. Lipo RX packs are only $5 for a 500-800 mah pack. I have a 1000mah lipo Rx $15 pack that lasts an hour.

The packs for my slash are 2s 4000 mah for $40.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:17 PM   #51
Tech Elite

I run lipos in everythiing and never had on puff or flame out one me. yes I have seen 1/8 blow up, but its all the users fault. Running them under the recommended voltage, not setting the cutoff on the ESC............ every lipo i have seen flame out is due to people trying to charge them faster or running the below 3V...........
Old 09-11-2009, 02:05 PM   #52
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I run electric 1/10th and have had lipos for almost 2 years now and never had a issue. I have seen people puff lipo's doing stupid stuff but a NIMH can do the same. I have seen more of those explode and go on fire then lipo's. If you charge them right and not put them through extreme temp abuse (IE: Leave in your car in the winter and summer) they will serve you well.

They are sooo much better then NIMH in a r/c car. The consistancy of the pack is incredible. In a 5-6 race your power is constant for the most part. Thats huge when you are driving smooth and precise. Lipo ownz.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:18 PM   #53
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerodefect View Post
I've never had a single problem with Lipo's.
Quote:
I run lipos in everythiing and never had on puff or flame out one me.
I speed all the time, and I've never got a speeding ticket. Everyone should speed.

Quote:
yes I have seen 1/8 blow up, but its all the users fault.
It's your fault your $1k car just blew up -- obviously, cause it burst into flames. I mean, everyone does everything perfect. Mistakes should cost you your entire setup. As an added bonus, if you're unsure what you did wrong, the evidence will be incinerated -- don't worry though, everyone will blame you because lipos only go when people do DumbThings(tm)... unless of course you bought the brand lipo they don't care for, in which case, that was the problem, and you got what you paid for, which was also your fault.

Bottom line: car on fire = your fault, not stupid incendiary battery on hair trigger.

I'm being quite over the top here, and I realize it. I am just playing devil's advocate here because there is a disproportionate amount of people on rctech that advocate lipo for everything, lipo or nothing, and ItWorksForMe(tm). The OP is trying to decide whether to get into nitro or electric -- and part of that decision will be based on the current state of electric. The problem with that is asking on rctech gets you the following:
  1. NIMH is dead and worthless.
  2. Lipo is perfect and never fails.
  3. Lipo is dramatically better than NIMH.

And it's simply not true. I saw a puffed pack last race night that people were trying to figure out how on earth it happened. Nobody could figure it out, guy just had to suck it up, buy another pack, and hope it didn't happen again.

The Truth is that:
  1. NIMH is still used in competition and is still the choice of some very fast individuals.
  2. Lipo is not perfect, but it is getting there every day, but sometimes still fails and it can happen to you.
  3. Lipo is marginally better than NIMH in certain areas.
    • The capacities are slightly higher.
    • They weigh less (but you have to weigh in heavy enough regardless with weight trays).
    • They offer a little more punch near the end of their useful charge.
    • They don't self discharge like nickle cells.
    • They don't go flat like nickle cells if not run soon after they are charged.
    • They have a slightly higher voltage, which gives you like a 3% advantage in spec classes.

So, obviously lipo is better over all, but it's not like night and day. You can get 6 600+ second NIMH matched cells for 27 bucks and use any old charger to chage them, even a good linear nicad charger if you ensure it doesn't overcharge or watch them yourself. If you make a mistake and over gear your car or short it out for a second, or blow up a motor or esc, your battery is probably going to be just fine -- it will take out your wires before it damages the battery. If it does damage your battery, damn, a whole $27 bucks.

Pros, cons, I want the op to know the whole story -- not the "rctech.net lipos are your only option" story.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:11 PM   #54
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razathorn View Post
I speed all the time, and I've never got a speeding ticket. Everyone should speed.

It's your fault your $1k car just blew up -- obviously, cause it burst into flames. I mean, everyone does everything perfect. Mistakes should cost you your entire setup. As an added bonus, if you're unsure what you did wrong, the evidence will be incinerated -- don't worry though, everyone will blame you because lipos only go when people do DumbThings(tm)... unless of course you bought the brand lipo they don't care for, in which case, that was the problem, and you got what you paid for, which was also your fault.

Bottom line: car on fire = your fault, not stupid incendiary battery on hair trigger.

I'm being quite over the top here, and I realize it. I am just playing devil's advocate here because there is a disproportionate amount of people on rctech that advocate lipo for everything, lipo or nothing, and ItWorksForMe(tm). The OP is trying to decide whether to get into nitro or electric -- and part of that decision will be based on the current state of electric. The problem with that is asking on rctech gets you the following:
  1. NIMH is dead and worthless.
  2. Lipo is perfect and never fails.
  3. Lipo is dramatically better than NIMH.

And it's simply not true. I saw a puffed pack last race night that people were trying to figure out how on earth it happened. Nobody could figure it out, guy just had to suck it up, buy another pack, and hope it didn't happen again.

The Truth is that:
  1. NIMH is still used in competition and is still the choice of some very fast individuals.
  2. Lipo is not perfect, but it is getting there every day, but sometimes still fails and it can happen to you.
  3. Lipo is marginally better than NIMH in certain areas.
    • The capacities are slightly higher.
    • They weigh less (but you have to weigh in heavy enough regardless with weight trays).
    • They offer a little more punch near the end of their useful charge.
    • They don't self discharge like nickle cells.
    • They don't go flat like nickle cells if not run soon after they are charged.
    • They have a slightly higher voltage, which gives you like a 3% advantage in spec classes.

So, obviously lipo is better over all, but it's not like night and day. You can get 6 600+ second NIMH matched cells for 27 bucks and use any old charger to chage them, even a good linear nicad charger if you ensure it doesn't overcharge or watch them yourself. If you make a mistake and over gear your car or short it out for a second, or blow up a motor or esc, your battery is probably going to be just fine -- it will take out your wires before it damages the battery. If it does damage your battery, damn, a whole $27 bucks.

Pros, cons, I want the op to know the whole story -- not the "rctech.net lipos are your only option" story.
you are 100% correct..its all the user when dealing with nitro or electric..that pretty much goes for life in general..what it comes down to is personal opinion and what suits that certain individual wants and needs..imho im going to get the losi 2.0 rtr and then take it from there..i will still run electric as well.i will never put electric down due to the fact that electric is in my heart and currently is what i know and all i know.but in the future who knows what will happen.. its where rc cars begun from the beginning
09 lex 250 is offline   Reply With Quote