R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-07-2009, 07:13 PM   #1
Tech Elite
 
rallyebmx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,863
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default residue in my carb insert- Pro-Line air filter

I have been running a Pro-Line air filter for the first time this year. The low profile fit is great. But also new for this year, is a dirty residue in my venturi. I talked to a couple of others, one using his rc8 filter and I dont know the brand of the other guys filter on his v spec, but both said they have had this style residue.

I have ran the thick round OFNA filters for years and have never seen/wiped out anything in my venturis. I just went back to my thick OFNA filter. Any thoughts on this stuff?????

Just to possibly elimate questions from people that actually read the post... I oil my main filter, I tried both dry prefilter and wiping just the inside of the pre filter with oil when I started noticing residue. I use zipties on the filter neck. I greased the plastic filter plates that contact the element to see if that helped......
rallyebmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:30 PM   #2
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: So Cal
Posts: 1,696
Default

Not a lot of people around here that I know run the Pro-Line filter because of the same reason.

Get the losi set up.
__________________
-TKO Competition Development-Sidewinder Fuel-
Alan D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:11 PM   #3
Tech Lord
 
Integra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 12,482
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra
Default

Filter maintenace might come into question...how often are you cleaning your pre and inner filter ?

Losi unit is pretty stout....drill a hole in the top case and you got a solid mount and the filter sits in a perfect position.
__________________
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:56 PM   #4
Tech Elite
 
imaxx21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: FL
Posts: 2,725
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to imaxx21
Default

i run the ProLine filters...

venturi is always clean when i pull off the filter
__________________
-Crash
Upgrade RC www.upgrade-rc.com
imaxx21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:30 PM   #5
Tech Champion
 
losi_racer's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: mesa,az
Posts: 6,470
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

make sure you have everything tight and in the right spot, i got very lucky, last time i put my losi filter on the neck of the carb i didnt notice and the zip tie wasnt on the filter 100% and took my neck off yesterday and seen dirt around my res, Took the whole engine apart and cleaned it, didnt see any dirt anywhere
__________________

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:59 PM   #6
Tech Regular
 
FrankBlack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bundaberg Qld Australia
Posts: 450
Default

I found teh same when using these filters, dirty oily residue around the venturi, stopped using them, only filters ive used that have done that.
FrankBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:41 AM   #7
Tech Elite
 
rallyebmx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,863
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Thanks for all the responses. Seems like I'm not the only one. It's gonna stay off for now. As for maintenance... I am pretty meticulous. I started switching my lightly oiled prefilter about every heat making sure the main filter stayed perfect. Plus the greased filter plates. Thats why I was really surprized to see dirt again this time.

I just went to a track this weekend that was pretty dusty but using my thick OFNA round filter. Checked last night and the venturi is clean as could be. The OFNA ones are really dense foam compared to the Pro Line. Maybe The Losi ones are the same way
rallyebmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:58 AM   #8
Tech Elite
 
slaytanic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,171
Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)
Default

God dang proline filters cost me 2 mills. As much as I hate the L word. There filter setup is the best there is. Plus the filters come preoiled. When you use the losi mount to you dont need to ziptie the neck. Just use an oring and it stays on nice ond can be removed easily.
__________________
Team Epic
Team Terribles~Answer RC~Fastlane Graphics~Torco Race Fuels
XB808 Mamba Max Pro/Tekin 1900kv RC-monster mount and tray 4s
XT8 Hobbywing 150a esc/2000kv combo KILLER! Full rc-monster e conversion. 4s
slaytanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:40 AM   #9
Tech Lord
 
Integra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 12,482
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaytanic View Post
God dang proline filters cost me 2 mills. As much as I hate the L word. There filter setup is the best there is. Plus the filters come preoiled. When you use the losi mount to you dont need to ziptie the neck. Just use an oring and it stays on nice ond can be removed easily.


USE a Zip tie. THINGS happen.
__________________
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:47 AM   #10
Tech Fanatic
 
unsp0ken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Fontana, CA
Posts: 769
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

if these are pre oiled maybe the oil that comes with the filter isn't sticky enough and is getting sucked in by your engine.

oh you like integra says, use the zip tie on the losi ones. little dust particles can and will get sucked through the neck without it.
unsp0ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:15 AM   #11
Tech Addict
 
EBMods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 504
Default

Just another possibility:
When on your lid fuel will pulsate back out the carb and run down the filter elbow straight into the filter. This fuel then washes the oil and dirt out of the filter, only to get sucked down through the carb when your flipped back on your wheels. If your upside down long enough that you stall you should always swab the inside of the housing and change the filter. Even if the filter wasn't dirty the fuel will wash the oil out and now create a dry spot on the filter. I find this happens a lot during practice when you usually have to turn marshal yourself.
EBMods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:49 AM   #12
Tech Fanatic
 
unsp0ken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Fontana, CA
Posts: 769
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBMods View Post
Just another possibility:
When on your lid fuel will pulsate back out the carb and run down the filter elbow straight into the filter. This fuel then washes the oil and dirt out of the filter, only to get sucked down through the carb when your flipped back on your wheels. If your upside down long enough that you stall you should always swab the inside of the housing and change the filter. Even if the filter wasn't dirty the fuel will wash the oil out and now create a dry spot on the filter. I find this happens a lot during practice when you usually have to turn marshal yourself.
wow great info.
unsp0ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:19 PM   #13
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 604
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default mugen air filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyebmx View Post
I have been running a Pro-Line air filter for the first time this year. The low profile fit is great. But also new for this year, is a dirty residue in my venturi. I talked to a couple of others, one using his rc8 filter and I dont know the brand of the other guys filter on his v spec, but both said they have had this style residue.

I have ran the thick round OFNA filters for years and have never seen/wiped out anything in my venturis. I just went back to my thick OFNA filter. Any thoughts on this stuff?????

Just to possibly elimate questions from people that actually read the post... I oil my main filter, I tried both dry prefilter and wiping just the inside of the pre filter with oil when I started noticing residue. I use zipties on the filter neck. I greased the plastic filter plates that contact the element to see if that helped......
thats what exactly how i blew 2 engines. used the older mugen mbx6 which is like the proline air filter and since the plastic is pretty shallow.

i only pre oil the inner foam which also added to the problem.

i have now oiled both filters, zip ties and now using my older filter xray set up
muaythai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:06 PM   #14
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Greenwood, IN
Posts: 779
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to windellmc
Default

I oil both outer and inner filter with Belray foam air cleaner oil and have had no dirt issues. I do not think the inner filter is thick enough on its own.
__________________
MP9 tki4
Truggy?
windellmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:30 PM   #15
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5
Default

What losi filters are you talking about?

I am in the process of acquiring all the things I need for my rc8b, so I am looking for a good economical filter setup that works. I don't know how the AE filters work, but you can't get multiple sets of filter elements that I have found.
formiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 02:56 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net