Wiki Posts
Search

residue in my carb insert- Pro-Line air filter

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 07:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default residue in my carb insert- Pro-Line air filter

I have been running a Pro-Line air filter for the first time this year. The low profile fit is great. But also new for this year, is a dirty residue in my venturi. I talked to a couple of others, one using his rc8 filter and I dont know the brand of the other guys filter on his v spec, but both said they have had this style residue.

I have ran the thick round OFNA filters for years and have never seen/wiped out anything in my venturis. I just went back to my thick OFNA filter. Any thoughts on this stuff?????

Just to possibly elimate questions from people that actually read the post... I oil my main filter, I tried both dry prefilter and wiping just the inside of the pre filter with oil when I started noticing residue. I use zipties on the filter neck. I greased the plastic filter plates that contact the element to see if that helped......
Old 09-07-2009, 07:30 PM
Tech Master

Not a lot of people around here that I know run the Pro-Line filter because of the same reason.

Get the losi set up.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:11 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Filter maintenace might come into question...how often are you cleaning your pre and inner filter ?

Losi unit is pretty stout....drill a hole in the top case and you got a solid mount and the filter sits in a perfect position.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i run the ProLine filters...

venturi is always clean when i pull off the filter
Old 09-07-2009, 09:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

make sure you have everything tight and in the right spot, i got very lucky, last time i put my losi filter on the neck of the carb i didnt notice and the zip tie wasnt on the filter 100% and took my neck off yesterday and seen dirt around my res, Took the whole engine apart and cleaned it, didnt see any dirt anywhere
Old 09-07-2009, 09:59 PM
Tech Regular

I found teh same when using these filters, dirty oily residue around the venturi, stopped using them, only filters ive used that have done that.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Thanks for all the responses. Seems like I'm not the only one. It's gonna stay off for now. As for maintenance... I am pretty meticulous. I started switching my lightly oiled prefilter about every heat making sure the main filter stayed perfect. Plus the greased filter plates. Thats why I was really surprized to see dirt again this time.

I just went to a track this weekend that was pretty dusty but using my thick OFNA round filter. Checked last night and the venturi is clean as could be. The OFNA ones are really dense foam compared to the Pro Line. Maybe The Losi ones are the same way
Old 09-08-2009, 06:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

God dang proline filters cost me 2 mills. As much as I hate the L word. There filter setup is the best there is. Plus the filters come preoiled. When you use the losi mount to you dont need to ziptie the neck. Just use an oring and it stays on nice ond can be removed easily.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:40 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slaytanic
God dang proline filters cost me 2 mills. As much as I hate the L word. There filter setup is the best there is. Plus the filters come preoiled. When you use the losi mount to you dont need to ziptie the neck. Just use an oring and it stays on nice ond can be removed easily.

USE a Zip tie. THINGS happen.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

if these are pre oiled maybe the oil that comes with the filter isn't sticky enough and is getting sucked in by your engine.

oh you like integra says, use the zip tie on the losi ones. little dust particles can and will get sucked through the neck without it.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:15 AM
Tech Addict

Just another possibility:
When on your lid fuel will pulsate back out the carb and run down the filter elbow straight into the filter. This fuel then washes the oil and dirt out of the filter, only to get sucked down through the carb when your flipped back on your wheels. If your upside down long enough that you stall you should always swab the inside of the housing and change the filter. Even if the filter wasn't dirty the fuel will wash the oil out and now create a dry spot on the filter. I find this happens a lot during practice when you usually have to turn marshal yourself.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by EBMods
Just another possibility:
When on your lid fuel will pulsate back out the carb and run down the filter elbow straight into the filter. This fuel then washes the oil and dirt out of the filter, only to get sucked down through the carb when your flipped back on your wheels. If your upside down long enough that you stall you should always swab the inside of the housing and change the filter. Even if the filter wasn't dirty the fuel will wash the oil out and now create a dry spot on the filter. I find this happens a lot during practice when you usually have to turn marshal yourself.
wow great info.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default mugen air filter

Originally Posted by rallyebmx
I have been running a Pro-Line air filter for the first time this year. The low profile fit is great. But also new for this year, is a dirty residue in my venturi. I talked to a couple of others, one using his rc8 filter and I dont know the brand of the other guys filter on his v spec, but both said they have had this style residue.

I have ran the thick round OFNA filters for years and have never seen/wiped out anything in my venturis. I just went back to my thick OFNA filter. Any thoughts on this stuff?????

Just to possibly elimate questions from people that actually read the post... I oil my main filter, I tried both dry prefilter and wiping just the inside of the pre filter with oil when I started noticing residue. I use zipties on the filter neck. I greased the plastic filter plates that contact the element to see if that helped......
thats what exactly how i blew 2 engines. used the older mugen mbx6 which is like the proline air filter and since the plastic is pretty shallow.

i only pre oil the inner foam which also added to the problem.

i have now oiled both filters, zip ties and now using my older filter xray set up
Old 09-08-2009, 02:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I oil both outer and inner filter with Belray foam air cleaner oil and have had no dirt issues. I do not think the inner filter is thick enough on its own.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:30 PM
Tech Rookie

What losi filters are you talking about?

I am in the process of acquiring all the things I need for my rc8b, so I am looking for a good economical filter setup that works. I don't know how the AE filters work, but you can't get multiple sets of filter elements that I have found.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.