Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hudy set-up

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 05:43 PM
Tech Master

My losi truck(original with lots of hopups)seemed to run the same with brand new parts or massive slop. I didnt realize the difference the setup system could make till I went back to my mugens(also old version) & was amazed at the difference it made with 10-15 min setup time at home before each race weekend but my mugens wich I still love & wish I would not have sold so cheap would change alignment by alot after a hard day of abuse. My newest love the 808 gets checkes the night before every race day but never changes anthing but ride height. Once I adjust ride height ,I dont keep my car on block during the week like I should the rest of the alignment is almost exactly where I set it the last week. I also think now that the mugen uses shims between the arms & piviot balls it wont change as much as my old version did. Either way I was not happy with the wear of my AE but it still was head & shoulders above my losi. That said I never was comfortable with how my AE ran when it did actually make it through a full race day & never settled on a base setup for it due to giving up on it in less than 6 months.I know it sounds odd that my losi drove better than my AE even though my losi would have 6+ deg of front toe slop & rear toe & camber would change radically during a race day due to bent rear outer hinge pins but it just drove better. Thats beside the point of this thread though.The hudy station & what ever add ons you choose to buy are worth the price even if only for reduced stress worrying if about your alignment causing the problems you may feel on the track. Say your cars acting wierd & you cant feel why, with the Hudy system you know your setup is symetricle & as close to what you asked for as your brand car will allow wear wise.Once you gain trust in Hudy from repeted use you will instantly know to go straight to looking for bent shafts,empty shocks or diffs or some other damaged part that you might have before blamed on alignment. I dont use my system at the track but I know from repeted use that if I dont see a massivly bent tie rod that my brand car has the exact same alignment as I set the night before at home. I also know my brand car does not bend shock or hinge pins so I know to check bad bearings or low fluid. It may also sound stupid & lazy to you but that alone is worth the money,relative to what I pay for gas to get to the tracks & wear & tear in nitro & tires & these stupid 100+ deg days of summer. & just so you know I believe my AE was more receptive to setup stations than my losi,but also used it on my losi just to make my mind feel better during race days. I always say feel good race good reguardless of talent.
Old 09-06-2009, 06:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

i guess i'll have to keep racing this "pos" rc8b. actually thought about getting the 808 '09, but remembered the xt8 that couldn't keep the cvd pin in the right front and then i also remembered the xb8tq that no one at our track could make fast. wasn't going for strike three. btw, love the hudy set up station, lol!
Old 09-06-2009, 06:36 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by tallyram
i guess i'll have to keep racing this "pos" rc8b. actually thought about getting the 808 '09, but remembered the xt8 that couldn't keep the cvd pin in the right front and then i also remembered the xb8tq that no one at our track could make fast. wasn't going for strike three. btw, love the hudy set up station, lol!
I don't know, you did win plenty of races with your Xt8. The BOB '09 has all of its pins captured by the drive bearings. I didn't even put the setscrews in.

The XB8tq stunk. I wouldn't buy one either. But the BOb is alot like the Losi.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:03 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
I don't know, you did win plenty of races with your Xt8. The BOB '09 has all of its pins captured by the drive bearings. I didn't even put the setscrews in.

The XB8tq stunk. I wouldn't buy one either. But the BOb is alot like the Losi.
i had to sell it because of the cvd pin issue. maybe it was the ninja .28!
Old 09-06-2009, 08:51 PM
Tech Master

4 things to remember.

1 xb8 tq is not an 808 for fact.

2 rc8 is not rc8b from what I HEAR.

3 8b is having same problems as 8b 2.0 from what I see at track.

4 Almost all cars out now are faster than most can drive.

Not a hater just what I see with my own eyes.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Makes the car drive better not from the settings from keeping the settings even.

Balancing tires even that makes a differents
Old 09-07-2009, 06:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I drive a losi and use Hudy. I have not had problems getting my truggy dialed in on a hudy. Just for FYI a Hudy on any car won't make you faster. What it will do for you however. Is assure your care is set up right and allow you to concentrate on driving and correcting YOUR mistakes. I did become faster after using the Hudy station however it was for the above reasons. Not because a Hudy is some magical cure all tool. If you have the money to invest in one do it if not don't sweat it.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:46 AM
Tech Addict

I knew someone that at one point had a rc8 rtr..... and he could destroy my buddy's x-ray, he always talked bad about the x-ray and would do little things to sabotage it.Now the tables are reversed and he seems to like the x-ray.I like the x-ray myself ..but i run an rc8 and I still crash the stew out of it and I have 0 problems....I can vouch for the durability of the rc8,I have a FT w/ m2c toe plates and king headz parts every where but the car is tough and the comfort level is almost luxury class.Now if I could just learn to drive. I used to have a buddy that would teach me but he moved away and joined team x-ray.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:40 AM
Tech Master

I would have liked to see these battles you keep talking about. I have had the opposite experience. When some hack on the track is being a jerk & causing problems I take them out hard with full confidence that I will still finish the day with my 808. I have never kept spares & you cant buy 808 parts round here & never give it a second thought.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Coming from someone that went losi 8ight to mugen MBX5R to 08 BOB to an RC8. the Bob was the worst handling car of all. I will give it credit, as it was light as hell, and accelerated like nothing i have ever seen.

But so far, the RC8, now RC8B has been the best handling car i have had. It is predictable in every condition, where the BOB would do things i couldn't expect, and wouldn't do them consistently. I could hit the same line, and it would act differently.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by butch man
My losi truck(original with lots of hopups)seemed to run the same with brand new parts or massive slop. I didnt realize the difference the setup system could make till I went back to my mugens(also old version) & was amazed at the difference it made with 10-15 min setup time at home before each race weekend but my mugens wich I still love & wish I would not have sold so cheap would change alignment by alot after a hard day of abuse. My newest love the 808 gets checkes the night before every race day but never changes anthing but ride height. Once I adjust ride height ,I dont keep my car on block during the week like I should the rest of the alignment is almost exactly where I set it the last week. I also think now that the mugen uses shims between the arms & piviot balls it wont change as much as my old version did. Either way I was not happy with the wear of my AE but it still was head & shoulders above my losi. That said I never was comfortable with how my AE ran when it did actually make it through a full race day & never settled on a base setup for it due to giving up on it in less than 6 months.I know it sounds odd that my losi drove better than my AE even though my losi would have 6+ deg of front toe slop & rear toe & camber would change radically during a race day due to bent rear outer hinge pins but it just drove better. Thats beside the point of this thread though.The hudy station & what ever add ons you choose to buy are worth the price even if only for reduced stress worrying if about your alignment causing the problems you may feel on the track. Say your cars acting wierd & you cant feel why, with the Hudy system you know your setup is symetricle & as close to what you asked for as your brand car will allow wear wise.Once you gain trust in Hudy from repeted use you will instantly know to go straight to looking for bent shafts,empty shocks or diffs or some other damaged part that you might have before blamed on alignment. I dont use my system at the track but I know from repeted use that if I dont see a massivly bent tie rod that my brand car has the exact same alignment as I set the night before at home. I also know my brand car does not bend shock or hinge pins so I know to check bad bearings or low fluid. It may also sound stupid & lazy to you but that alone is worth the money,relative to what I pay for gas to get to the tracks & wear & tear in nitro & tires & these stupid 100+ deg days of summer. & just so you know I believe my AE was more receptive to setup stations than my losi,but also used it on my losi just to make my mind feel better during race days. I always say feel good race good reguardless of talent.
butch,

i like to read ur posts, very informative indeed! but can u write in paragraphs instead? it is PIA to read such a long post...
Old 09-07-2009, 06:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I bought a Hudy setup second hand, and it has been great. Like others have said, I hated trying to get my geometry right. I can tell you that my driving miraculously improved after using the Hudy setup because all the geometry was done right and was more predictable.

I have an RC8T, for reference.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:49 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by butch man
4 things to remember.

1 xb8 tq is not an 808 for fact.

2 rc8 is not rc8b from what I HEAR.

3 8b is having same problems as 8b 2.0 from what I see at track.

4 Almost all cars out now are faster than most can drive.

Not a hater just what I see with my own eyes.
1) we are talking about xray "luxury" not which kit is which!
2)might agree, but again, we are talking about associated's "luxury".
3)like what? i have 50 minutes of a-main hard driving, zero issues!
4)"luxury", been there done that also!
Old 09-07-2009, 07:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Purdue Engineer
I have the complete system with height gauge and droop block for sale. I used them twice. I'm also throwing in the hudy wheel balancer and adaptor in for a package. If anyones interested PM me.

Thanks
Do you still have this for sale ??
Old 09-07-2009, 07:41 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by tallyram
1) we are talking about xray "luxury" not which kit is which!
2)might agree, but again, we are talking about associated's "luxury".
3)like what? i have 50 minutes of a-main hard driving, zero issues!
4)"luxury", been there done that also!
Luxury?.........not until I had the darn 809 built! This thing was a bear to get together. How can i thread steel screws into plastic if the plastic is ten times stronger than the steel? Not that I'm really complaining, all is well now.

Never have I had to lube every single screw just to thread them in the first time. And the 808's screws are not as good as the AE ones, the hex wasn't as deep. Delayed my build waiting for a Tony's screw kit.

I got to say the BOB deos fit my goofy driving style better. So now I'm starting to see the lux,..........

and Active diffs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.